SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

People who breed animals for stupid reasons

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

I feel disloyal posting this but the situation irritates me. My sister and her husband live in an apartment and have a total of 6 pets (3 cats, 3 dogs) now their current landlord allows this (and the past one allowed their two cats) so they have been lucky so far. They keep adding to their brood though. Her husband is the problem. She wanted a cat and he brought two home and then he picked up a third from a rescue because it reminded him of a cat he had when he was young. then his parents split and he had to take their dog. Then he brought my sister another dog home from a rescue. Their latest addition is a young german shepard. A friend found her abandoned and took her in but couldn't keep her. The dog is very undiscipline and just causes a host of problems. My sister is very frustrated with the dog and practically hates her. Her husband wants to keep the dog though and my sister finally told her why.

He wants to breed her with his dog (which is some large mix breed) because his dog is getting older and he wants a puppy to remember him by. So they are going to breed an unregistered german shepard with a mixed breed and have all these puppies that she will have to find homes for. I just had seven kittens abandoned at my house last year and I think kitttens are easier to find homes for than puppies (not that I have any experience with puppies) because cats are lower maintenance and I had the most difficult time finding homes for them. I had to foster them through a rescue and I ended up keeping two and one is still at the rescue with no home and is 10 months old.

So I think it is insane with all these homeless pets in the world, to deliberately create MORE homeless pets! It really upsets me. I see this at the rescue I volunteer with every day. In one hour last week we had 10 kittens dropped off! In one hour. The shelter only holds about 150 animals so if that happened every day or a few times a week over half would have to be put down because there just isn't room for them. I tried to talk to my sister and she says it is more her husband's idea than hers but she would like to have puppies too. Just crazy! Is there anything I can say to her?

Comments (15)