SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

People who just drop off pets

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

This is more of me venting than anything else but here goes- I volunteer at a local shelter/rescue. They adopt out between 60 and 120 cats a month. 120 was in December. Last month I think they adopted out around 80. They will not let you adopt a cat if you admit you are taking it to a farm, that you openly say you will let it outside, or if you come in and say your younger cat just died of something unknown- you didn't take it to the vet) and you want a replacement. So it is not like they are throwing cats at anyone who walks in. Also it costs $100 to adopt a kitten. I just had an older solid black female cat (who was a stray and mother of kittens I found last summer) get adopted after only a month at the shelter. That was a miracle (an older lady came in and wanted a cat as a companion and my cat jumped on her lap and refused to move. The lady was delighted and took her home.)

Anyway, on to my rant. Over the weekend I found another drop off cat at my house. A beautiful young calico. Obviously well taken care of (she wasn't dirty or anything) but starving. She ate so much food and wolfed it down till she choked on it. I've asked around and no one claims her. So another cat for me to keep until there is room at the shelter for her. And last night one of my friends came over to visit and told me that his mother has a cat she wants to get rid of. It was her boyfriend's and he moved out and the mother thinks the cat is a nuisance and plans to drive it somewhere out in the country and drop it off. To me that is one step below torturing an animal. It is NOT fair to feed and house an animal for a few years and then suddenly decide you don't want the responsibility and then hoist it off like garbage and make it someone else's problem. At least the cat is spayed but cats who grow up in someone's home don't automatically know how to fend for themselves. My friend didn't understand my frustration and I offered to take the cat to the shelter but they feel it will be better off living on its own in the country somewhere. He said his mom thinks someone will see it and pick it up and take care of it. I hate stupid people! I mean, i understand that if you are losing your house, your cat or dog isn't the first thing you worry about. And in the 10-18 year lifespan of a cat a lot of things can change- your family situation, your living situation etc and a pet may no longer fit in your life but at least treat the animal better than you would some old couch you need to get rid of. I guess I was raised "wrong" because my parents ALWAYS kept every single pet we owned until it passed away. They were like members of the family. The only exception was the horses we owned. They were pets of a different nature and we took them to horse shows and we'd sell one and buy another when we outgrew it or needed something better for competition but we always made sure we found good homes for them.

It just makes me angry because even though the shelter is able to adopt out so many cats, they probably get twice as many a month that are dropped off. And not all of those even get a chance to find a new home.

Comments (10)