SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spiritual_gardner

Dog god is teasing me

spiritual_gardner
16 years ago

The dog god is really starting to get my attention.

For at least 14 years, I had a dog, Shepard/Lab, name Tara. She had numerous health issues, I pumped all types of meds into her, she cheated death at least three times, and still lived to be old.

I adopted another 4 month old Kai last January and have been blessed with another dog that already has multiple issues requiring multiple meds and special care, and she is only 16 months old!

In addition to spaying incontinence and her urinary infections, the latest issue is diarrhea. She is on high quality food, no fillers colors etc. Vet said that the diarrhea could contribute to urinary infections, so I'm cleaning her "lady parts" on a regular basis.

About a month ago she started with the diarrhea issue and Imodium took care of it. I've used this on all of my dogs (remember I have two others) and it's worked fine unless something is seriously wrong. Fast forward about two weeks, diarrhea is back with a vengeance, Imodium isn't working, got antibiotic from vet, that took care of it over night, but, vet wanted her on one weeks worth of the stuff just to be sure.

I had blood work done and stool sample test, nothing came up. A food allergy has not been completely ruled out.

Fast forward to this Wednesday, diarrhea is starting to come back not emergency severe. But, this is the way the other episodes started. So I called vet and she said it could be from antibiotic throwing off good bacteria in her gut, I'm going to get some flora stuff to add to her food to take care of that. Vet also indicated that there could be something else out of whack that could take more testing.

The difference with this week and previous weeks is she is completely "normal" in the morning, loose in the afternoon. I inquired with vet about water intake, she said the dog would have to drink "LOTS" of water for her stool to loosen up. I agree and also stated that she does drink lots of water, she plays with the other two dogs and it's been hot here in Maryland. I also don't have my a.c. on yet. Does any one have any thoughts on this one???

I'm not the type that calls or sees the vet at the drop of a hat. I realize that dogs systems can occasionally be off, just like humans. Something really has to get my attention before I will contact the vet.

My vet, who I trust very much, is taking the conservative route dealing with this. Plus, I have taken the upper had and indicated that I wanted to try the path of least resistance first. I always go this route when health issues come up with my dogs.

I guess I'm frustrated. It is starting to be a bit much, but something I'm going to have to adjust to.

Thanks.

SG

Comments (3)