SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Look, look, I got a surcie from Readinglady!

annie1992
15 years ago

A couple of days ago I found a box on my step. I thought it might be a Christmas present that I ordered for Bruvver, but it wasn't, it was a box from Carol (Readinglady). What a great surprise and since it was Saturday morning and we were on our way to the Wine Festival, Mom got to help me open it.

I found that Carol's been busy canning. She sent me a jar of cranberry catsup, one of cranberry preserves with allspice and one jar of apricot "winter conserve" with almonds and amaretto. That one is mine, I don't intend to share, LOL.

She also sent a jar of very finely ground gray sea salt from the Artisan Salt Company in Washington, pretty close to her home, just a state or so away, LOL. I have mentioned that I don't like getting that big chunk of salt when I finish food with coarse salt and my grinder doesn't get it fine enough for my tastes. This stuff is extra fine, I'm gonna love it!

Then came my mother's favorites, the "beginner's chopsticks". I had an aunt who was from Japan, and my Mother and Aunt Amy were good friends. Aunt Amy tried to teach me to use chopsticks and finally gave up, saying "you no good, you use fork". LOL Mom said she was "no good" either, Aunt Amy was never successful in teaching her to use chopsticks either. Mom thought Aunt Amy would have loved these "chopstick helpers", and they caused Mom to tell me a couple of stories about Aunt Amy that I hadn't heard. It was a nice memory for Mom, and Makayla and Bud are going to love them, I even found a recipe for turkey sushi!

Dutch oven liners were in there, for when I go camping and don't want to scrub that Coke Chicken or whatever from the dutch oven, they'll be very handy.

And finally, Makayla's favorite, the measuring cup. It's made from some special material so you can put really hot liquids in it. What Makayla liked though, was the markings. See the top one? It says "half the volume of a human brain". I told Makayla that she was a little girl, so her brain might not be all that big. She told me she has a pretty big brain for a little girl. (grin) She's right, I couldn't argue with that!

Now, look at the bottom marking. "The volume of the brain of a Tyrannasaurus Rex". LOLOLOL

And here's everything:

Carol knows it's been a tough couple of months for me, a lot of changes, some good and some bad. This was a nice "pick me up" and a reminder of one of the things I have to be very thankful for this year: my friends, both virtual and otherwise.

So, thank you Carol, for a thoughtful gift, and for the smile you gave my mother. I might even make sushi and invite her to lunch!

Annie

Comments (21)