SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rthummer

Happy Birthday, Daddy (long)

rthummer
15 years ago

Today would have been my fathers' birthday had he lived. It has not been a good day for me.

You probably think we were close and that is why I am missing him. I wish that were true. Unfortunately, it is not. I just remember the times he did not protect me from the crazed tyrannts of his wife, my stepmother. Physically and emotional. I look back now and think she either had a personality disorder, or was mentally ill. Two of her brothers killed themselves when they were older. They are from the deep south were family skeletons are laid in the closets to rest, and no one speaks of them. They were well todo,(or at least she had me convinced of this) They cared more about what people "thought about them, than what was really on the inside (heart)." I remember her telling me how "cultured" her family was. (cringe)

She always made fun of my father behind his back to me. I felt so sorry for him because he had a heart condition. He was very sick most of my life.(He had his first heart attack at the age of 25)

Then I wonder if he would have believed me?

I believed I was the one to blame for everything that went bad in the house. My stepmothers' abuse of me - her making a mockery of my father behind his back was our little secret. She need not have worried as I would never told. Til she died. I did not want my father to know how little she thought of him. I loved him, so.

He died and left no will. Telling me that I hope (my stepmother) would do me right financially. He waited too long and died at 48 years old.

The day he was buried she told me that I had better not fight her in court for my daddys assets. That she was the wife and I was only the child. I was almost 19 years old.

I did not fight.

I mostly stayed at my grandmothers' house growing up, and only came to visit them even though they lived less than a mile away.

I know in my head that the past is the past, and not everyone has perfect homes.

It embarasses me when this gets me down, but it just does. My stepmothers' family has never reached out to me, nor do I think they thought there was anything "wrong" with her. Also, I was not "blood" family, so I was "different" from them.

Once again I placed flowers on my fathers' grave and told him how much I loved him. Today is his birthday.

Happy Birthday, Daddy.

P/S Wounds heal, but the scars are still there.

And this too shall pass.

Thanks for listening,

rthummer

Comments (12)