SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oddity_gw

Tips on switching cat food

oddity
17 years ago

Our six year old kitty Oscar that we adopted last September is having kindey problems (may have been caused by tainted food consumed in December/January, maybe not, we don't know). Our vet says that his kidney problems aren't advanced but his urine is diluted, he urinates a lot and one of his levels is high...all other tests, bloodwork, etc., are normal.

But, to try to reverse his current mild condition, we are trying to switch him to canned Purina NF Kidney Function Formula from the vet. Our other cat Dana solely eats dry so we switched her to the dry NF because Oscar does occassionally eat dry food. Dana had zero problems switching to NF (it figures since she is the one that doesn't need to eat it). But oscar wants little to do with the wet or dry NF. I've tried mixing the NF canned with his old canned food but he won't touch it. I've tried putting it on my finger and coaxing him or petting him or tring to make it a game but he just gives me that I-don't-care-what-you-do-I'm-not-going-to-eat-that-crap look.

I'm at my wits end. I feel like when I give him his old food that I am killing him. But when I give him the NF and he won't eat it I feel like I'm starving him and thus killing him. The last thing our vet wants is for Oscar to not eat. She thinks the stress of not eating will exacerbate the problem or possibly harm his liver.

So, does anyone have any tips on getting a cat to eat food that he hates?

Comments (9)