SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie53_gw

Coming to the KT ?

susie53_gw
11 years ago

How long have you been coming to the KT? I joined the Gardenweb Forums
12 years ago. I don't post a lot but usually check it out each day. So many have come and gone..

Susie53

Comments (55)

• minnie_tx
    11 years ago

My Page says 2002 but I think that might have been after we had to sign in again after Spike left I know it was a coulpe of years earlier

• themommy1
    11 years ago

joined in 2007

• Related Discussions

dogs in elk from 1999 long repost

Q

Comments (20)
    There were so many funny stories posted years ago. I'd be laughing until the tears were rolling. Anyone remember Marlin, the lady from Cuba who became a US citizen? Her posts and Dottie's were hysterical.
    ...See More

DTV/analog tv question

Q

Comments (7)
    Many of the satellite receivers have an antenna option built in but I suppose the new ones don't. Haven't dealt with satellite for a lot of years but the simple answer is yes, she can use both so don't panic. It'll work out one way or another, just the details aren't totally clear until she sees what she has. That someone who told her that was full of it. Now there is another point though. Is she getting a strong signal from the local channel? If it's weak she might not receive it when it goes digital unless the signal strength grows. The thing with digital signals is that they're very clear when they come in, but if it isn't a strong signal there's no signal so it's not going to be the varying degrees of snow and fuzziness like on analog. If she's far from the transmitter or repeater she may not get a signal. Small chance of that though. Just have to try it and see.
    ...See More

New B.S at the Garden?

Q

Comments (12)
    That must be the new refrigerator that is going to post menus on your computer or tablet, based on the ingredients inside it. I heard about that on PBS radio. The reporter said that his bathroom scale had spoken to his fridge, and his menu choices were 'lettuce' and 'water'.
    ...See More

Blast from the past - 2000 'Get to know each other' thread

Q

Comments (3)
    Wow....what an amazing list of people.... too many of them no longer with us or active here. It is nice to remember some of their names and their struggles that we shared. Thanks for the memories.
    ...See More
  • glenda_al
    11 years ago

15 plus

• Nita__AZ
    11 years ago

When Bobby was 5 back in 1998, so 15 years.

• wanda_va
    11 years ago

Since 1998

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Since about 1998 or 1999. Right after we got internet.

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I first joined in May, 2000, even though my page says 2001.

• dees_1
    11 years ago

1996 or 1997 on GW and just visiting KT. Spent most time on other forums. I think it was 2001 when we had to re-register. Pretty sure my user name was the same.

• Pooh Bear
    11 years ago

I think since late 2001. Maybe early 2002.

Pooh Bear

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

First time, with first name in 2000. Then changed the name, cause I didn't remember, and changed again, when I moved again.

Moni

• marilyn_c
    11 years ago

I think I joined in 1999.

• Kathsgrdn
    11 years ago

I don't remember, sometime when Lauren was very small and I was married and lived on a mountain....maybe 1999, 2000, or 2001?

• pattico_gw
    11 years ago

since 1997 or 1998....not sure....but I know I had been here quite awhile before New Years eve 1999 2 when everyone was so afraid that all computer would shut down...lol

No I didn't stock pile any food or water. I didn't believe it would happen.

patti

• User
    11 years ago

1999 with my webtv

• mamatoad
    11 years ago

It was 1998 or 1999. My user name was Bettye/AZ. I changed it after Spike left and we reregistered.

• lindaohnowga
    11 years ago

According to my records, the KT started Sept. 11, 1998 and I was here from day one. I was at the Gardenweb crafts and decorations forum before that.

This post was edited by lindaohnowga on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 23:28

• FlamingO in AR
    11 years ago

I had my first KT get-together here at my house in Oct 2001, so I was probably here for a year before that. I know it started before 2001.

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

Yes, it was here, before 2001. I moved to Tahlequah in 2000, and had already signed up before that... and once there, signed up as tahlequahgardens, which proved to be a pain in the butt to type, and when it became a pay forum I changed my name to OklaMoni, specially since I had moved again...

Moni

• pekemom
    11 years ago

I come here about every day...I had a different name and computer when I first joined, then the computer didn't work and I didn't get a new one for awhile. I post sometimes but am not as well known as some of you. It's usually a friendly site, even the occasional blowups are interesting.....

• heather_on
    11 years ago

I joined when it first started. At one time we all had to re-register so I have lost track of when I initially started coming here. My guess is over 15 years ago when we had our 386 computer with a 2400 baud modem and thought we were in 7th heaven with the speed.

• lydia1959
    11 years ago

10 years maybe... I know it was right around the time I was going on vacation for a anniversary.

• donna37
    11 years ago

At least 15+ years, though I didn't post much. Spent most of my time over on the Garden Junk forum and Ozark Gardening.

• Lily316
    11 years ago

I think it was 2001..

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

I'm sure I was registered in 2003; maybe before originally, as Spike was running things then.

• Hellion
    11 years ago

1999 for sure. The KT was here before that, but I know most that were here came from another site, HGtv?

• jel48
    11 years ago

I had to look at my member page... I registered on GW in 2002, when I had purchased a home (on my own) and wanted to learn how to 'sweat a pipe' to hook up my own washing machine and save on plumbing bills. I learned how to do that on the Plumbing Forum and have been an advocate of GW ever since!

I don't remember what year I first discovered the KT, but have been coming here for most of the years that I've been on GW. Other forums come and go (for me) but, although I might sometimes not stop in for a while, the KT is a place I always come (or come back) to!

• rosemaryt
    11 years ago

1998, I think.

I started out as rosethornil which was a screen name I still use in many places.

I got sent to the teacups a few times thanks to that "fellow" named Spike, and then I got chased off a few times by some ugliness but I still visit from time to time.

When I started in 1998, my cable service was really spotty, and boy oh boy was that frustrating!!!

• sleeperblues
    11 years ago

My profile says my son was 14, and he's 22 now but I know I was on Gardenweb way longer than that as we were building a home and buying furniture and I was on those forums all the time. I actually thought the kitchen table had something to do with kitchen furniture so that's how I found it, lol. I remember when Bettye was BettyeAZ and Moni was Tahlequahgardens. I missed the whole Thani thing but I've seen my share of stuff.

• chloecat
    11 years ago

I was here on Day 1 - which was in 1997 or 1998. I was one of the many "refugees" from the HGTV boards. I had a different screen name then - and I have no idea what it was. :)

• ginger_st_thomas
    11 years ago

The HGTV boards turned into troll heaven with some of the nastiest people on the internet then. Spike's rules looked good after being flamed daily over there. He didn't put up with anything. I still say he designed the best forums ever.

• phyllis__mn
    11 years ago

I had been going to HGTV, but there was a dustup there, so I searched and found the KT, in the fall of 1999, and I was in the cookie exchange....Tahni was my partner in that.

• itsmesuzq
    11 years ago

I had to look at "my page".....I can't believe its been 11 years now (that I joined). I'm sure I lurked for about a year before that; the KT was my first venture into the the message board world.

I'm not a regular poster but I always look in each day to see what everyone is talking about. I miss the days when I would laugh so much my assistant would come into my office to ask me "are you okay?" I am now retired (for the last 3+ years) and even though things have changed and people have come and gone I still enjoy looking at the topics of the day.

Susan

• monica_pa Grieves
    11 years ago

I think 2001
    I know I was here in 2002, when Frank died. Everyone was so supportive during his last illness.

• chisue
    11 years ago

My page says 2004. I'd found the helpful house-related forums before that. I think I was alerted to KT by someone on the "Appliances" forum when I was battling with the manufacturer to get my dishdrawers replaced.

• caroline94535
    11 years ago
    1. When we got our first computer.

I believe "my page" shows a later date when we had to change our names or something, but I've been here since the good ole daze!

• angelaid
    11 years ago

Since it opened, pretty much. I think I was Tator Tot back then.

• pattico_gw
    11 years ago

angelaid....you were tater tot...and hubby was spud...?

I've wondered what the heck happened to you.....

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Hmm, I know I found GW when I was designing my kitchen and I had just started a new job. I always remember when I started the new job because it was a few days before 911. So I've been here almost twelve years.

• User
    11 years ago

I was reading here occasionally but didn't join in until last fall. I still don't feel a good connection here but that's my fault for not dropping by more often.

• Sue_va
    11 years ago

I had just posted at the "whatever happened to" thread, where I mentioned HGTV, and came here to read, and see comments about HGTV. I never did know what the problem was there.

So I know I was on GW before 1997-98 for a while, but found KT on the first day Spike started it. Been here ever since. I think I've always had the same name.

At one time I had a picture of Spike and his wife, when they attended a Get-to-Gether. It was posted here at the KT, and I saved it, but it has gotten lost , so I no longer have it.

Since iVillage bought GW, there have been many changes from time to time. At one point everything on MY PAGE got messed up. I contacted Tamara and they were never able to reconstruct it. That is when the 2001 date showed up, but I couldn't see the original boxes to enter details, and the "blurb" as it was referred to, where you could enter a little something about yourself was not there.

About a week ago my pc crashed; for the first time ever, and I was bombarded with pop-ups and all kinds of junk. I somehow got it back, and there was MY PAGE with the boxes pretty much as it had been originally. I filled it out like I had done originally, but alas! it doesn't show that now.Very odd!!

As I read these threads and different memories are mentioned, I can remember some or most of them.

Let's keep them coming!

Edited to change some wording.

Sue

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchentable/msg0221075710357.html?86

This post was edited by Sue-va on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 15:31

• joyfulguy
    11 years ago

Hi Su VA,

Well, you know how it goes ... the older you get ... the more the memories of the ``good old days`` come back!

I`ve been here about ten years, maybe some more ... started during the Spike regime, and got sent to `Disney` a few times ... at first, wondered what the heck was going on, as we didn`t get any ``gentle reminders`` then!

Was here during the ``pay-days`` (not the store kind), and reimbursing someone because I didn`t have PayPal was expensive, for a Canadian Dollar was only ``worth`` (whatever that means) about 80 cents in ``real`` money ... not about a dollar, give or take a few cents, as recently.

(How often does one get to speak one`s mind ... for free ... with seldom any repercussions)!

Plus ... what does one call someone who `bugs`` one (sorry - question mark doesn`t work).

ole joyful

• jackie643
    11 years ago

I joined in June 5th, 2001.

• bengardening
    11 years ago

I got my computer in 2000 and I think I Maybe joined within a year after that. I remember I was searching for something and this site came up. I lurked for a while before I joined though.

• Toni S
    11 years ago

I recall Oct 1998. the first or second day of the Kitchen Table. The Garden Web was here earlier, I don't know when that started. We had plenty of ups and downs but we used to have such good laughs too.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    11 years ago

My page says I signed up in 2005 but for several years before that I popped in from time to time under another name that I couldn't remember.

What I do remember, however, is getting my head bit off when a few people thought I was someone else that had come back to haunt them. LOL

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    11 years ago

I've been here since day one too. A big blow out at HGTV started it all LOL

• dorothy_oahu
    11 years ago

I see Linda said it started Sept. 11, 1998 so I was here the next day on Sept. twelve. I was at the decorating forum and saw the announcement so I came over and have been here ever since.

Spike banished me or I should say my IP. It couldn't have been me because I never cause trouble and never posted anything controversial. I tried writing to him twice but he ignored me so I could only read. I finally got back in, I guess after Spike left, but still didn't post much.

• ginger_st_thomas
    11 years ago

The KT started on my birthday, Sept. 11, either '97 or '98. There were something like 3 posts then with one from Spike welcoming people. Many were refugees from the trolls at HGTV.

• evatx
    11 years ago

I was here at the beginning also...don't remember if 1997 or '98. I know it was after my twin got sick in '95 and before she died in 2000.

I still prefer The KT to others

• linda_in_iowa
    11 years ago

I have been here since April 1999. I was on at work and at home on my webtv.