SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

Facebook and the KT group?

lydia1959
13 years ago

I'm not on facebook, but have been considering it. I was wondering about those of you that are and are also in the 'KT Group' there. Do people reading your pages know what the KT is? If so, do you think the people reading your page at FB come to the KT to see what you've shared here?

Just curious. Also does anyone use a different town than the one they really live in or can you make something up?

Gee, I sound like I am in the Federal Witness Protection Program. lol Not sure I want to get involved with FB. I already spend way too many hours online... plus I'm not sure I want to dig up any of my past.

Comments (22)

• Pooh Bear
    13 years ago

The only real thing you have to give them is a real email address.
    I made up a complete profile once and used it for a while.
    You can just about hide your whole profile if you want to.

I doubt anyone even looks at what groups I'm part of so I
    would guess no one finds the KT thru facebook.

Pooh Bear

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

I don't do facebook or accept any invites even from family members or twitter. There are other ways to communicate IMHO

• Related Discussions

How Do I Search for 'Groups' on Facebook

Q

Comments (5)
    Sharon, You can edit the email settings so it won't send everything to you. On the right side of the top blue bar (by your name), click on "settings". Click on the "notifications" tab on that page then uncheck boxes for what you don't want emailed. I let it email things like friend requests and invitations but that's about it. Also, make sure you check your privacy settings so your page isn't all public (unless of course you want it to be).
    ...See More

Any of you on facebook?

Q

Comments (64)
    Well, I TRY to be! LOL About every other time I try to login it won't let me and I have to reset my password! Anybody have any ideas? Sandy, I'm not ignoring you - I just can't get in!
    ...See More

facebook names vs kt post here

Q

Comments (19)
    What if everyone that was looking to join, would first go the KT group....The Kitchen Table Gang put in your KT name there. Then we could go through there and know who we were looking for???? Just a thought.
    ...See More

KT Facebook page

Q

Comments (18)
    To make my point clearer. You can google my username and find my public posts. No problem. Your not going to find out 1 thing about Linda H. I googled a member's name and location and found out how old she was because it was mentioned in an article about her DUI auto wreck. I also found out she was in divorce proceedings. Of course, if you're alright with other KT members (and all the "friends" who have access) googling your name and location, so be it. Of course, I think this problem applies to all of Facebook.
    ...See More
  • arcy_gw
    13 years ago

Not a facebook fan. In reality it is the opposite of what people crave, personal communication. I read several rants about the proverbial "Christmas letter"; and I found it curious. What is FB if not a group announcement all about you? It is not personal or individual. How is it satisfying to a person who truly cares about you? It says to me "I am too busy, important to keep in touch with YOU". After reading the cautions on Craig's list post last night, I really do not understand why people take the risk with FB. The internet is not PRIVATE. The right person can track you no matter how clever you think you have been.

• User
    13 years ago

I had FB but everything was totally fictitious - including my name. I normally use 90210 for my address details (sound familiar?). FB shares too much information. There are 'web crawler' programs that search the web to collate information to build profiles of people. In this digital age you want to protect your information as much as possible.

I no longer FB - I got really tired, really fast of people inviting me to play games, I found FB just too much bother and hassle.

As for KT - I'd rather just come here, keep it simple.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• phyllis__mn
    13 years ago

I joined FB in order to see pictures of my great-grands, I guess. Then I was "friended" with scads of former students from the high school where I was secretary for many, many years. I don't do the games, just check in quickly once a day. It's been interesting in contacting, briefly, these students. I wish the KT page was still in full function, as it isn't as complete as it was.

• User
    13 years ago

I love Facebook. I was finally able to find some friends I lost contact with many years ago. It's also easier to talk to family because many of my sisters kids have families of their own and everyone is so busy now with kids and jobs, etc., it makes it hard to get together. I also have family in other provinces and countries and we're all able to chat together. I'm a FB addict. :o) Some conversations are short and sweet. Some are one-sided. Some go on for days, and anyone can join in. If I want a private conversation, I use the email option they have. I once joined another group on FB for another message board, but it was a 'private' group and none of my friends or family knew about it. You had to be invited and none of the posts showed up on my wall. If I know a family member has joined a message board I post on, I leave that message board. I'm silly that way.

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

i love contacting friends, and family via fb (everyone seems to check there) but for "real" info or personal things, we email or gasp! just call one another...lol

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

Like Peggy, I tried FB. I did to see pictures my girls posted. But then all of the sudden I got so many messages on my page, from people I didn't even know....

Guess I should have figured out how to filter stuff, but it was way easier to quit FB.

I am happier this way.

Moni

• alisande
    13 years ago

Facebook is what you make of it. I'm not addicted to it (as I am to the KT!), but I enjoy getting an overview of what my friends and relatives--especially my daughter and granddaughter--are up to. The games don't tempt me, and I spend relatively little time on the FB site.

The posts ("status reports") and responses are usually a form of banter. It can be fun, or a way to give support at times. It's not an in-depth form of communication, but if I want to say something more, I send a private FB message. My DGD and I stay in touch a lot this way.

You can use any name you like on FB. One of my FB friends is a beagle! He belongs to friends of mine, and I enjoy his occasional status reports. "I'm gaining weight!" he posted last week. LOL

Because I use my full name, including my maiden name, a couple of childhood friends found me on FB. That's been fun.

I've been thinking I should pay more attention to FB because I'm supposed to teach a class on it at the library in May. I'll probably post questions here in April. :-)

Oh, to answer your question, I doubt it. In fact, I don't see the KT mentioned anywhere on my FB page.

• oldgardener_2009
    13 years ago

I absolutely love Facebook.

It's the main way I keep in touch with family that live far away. If it wasn't for FB, I'd never know what they were doing or even what they look like.

We share pictures and our thoughts, keeping up with each other's lives, it's great.

But the KT Gang on FB, there seems to be very little activity there. KT people are already very communicative right here on the KT site, and I really don't see a need for another place for KT'ers to get together. :)

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for everyone's input.

I have one more question. Say someone wants to be your friend and maybe you'd like to just PM these people for a quick update on their lives and to share what you've been up to... but you don't particularly want them having your email address or want them to be someone who has access to all of your facebook. Is that possible?

• oldgardener_2009
    13 years ago

If you accept them as a friend, you can choose what you want them to see...you can hide your entire wall from them and hide some or all of your photo albums. You can also hide your email address.

• vala55
    13 years ago

I went on one time to see what it is all about and I used a fake name and address info, but that won't do any good. A tech in the computer help forum says anyone with the know how can pin point your home within a mile and a half with just your server address.

I didn't like the set up so I deleted my account.

• alisande
    13 years ago

Just to add to Oldgardener's good info, I don't think my email address figures into FB at all, except that when someone sends me a message (or replies to one of my posts, or posts on a thread I posted on) I receive an email from Facebook (not from an individual) telling me this took place, including the text involved, and providing me with a link in case I want to look at it on FB.

No one on FB has access to my email--at least not through FB.

• nanaofmany08
    13 years ago

i love fb very much and have a private group for my daughters & i only..and belong to 2 more groups and play alot of games with my kids on it i just reconnected with 5 friends from 30 yrs ago it was awesome!!!!!!one group is for GOLD STAR FAMILIES AND IS VER HELPFUL IN MY GRIEF

• tami_ohio
    13 years ago

I resisted joining FB for several years, but finally decided to give it a try this summer. I enjoy it! It has really connected me to cousins that I don't get to talk to much otherwise, even tho we live anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours away from each other, or across the country. Yes, we could pick up the phone, but that never happened, just because we all get busy. Now I can keep up with my cousin's granddaughter, another cousin's grandson, ect. If I don't want someone having access to me anymore for some reason, I delete them as a friend. I don't play games and have them blocked. I get addicted to solitaire too easy as it is, I don't need something else to get addicted to!

Tami

• marie_ndcal
    13 years ago

DH's nieces wanted us to be on FB, but due to so much discontent in the family, I refused. I really don't want them to know what is going on, because they were so negative and non-responsive when he (DH) was so ill with heart and cancer problems several years ago. I contacted everyone and all I got from one of them was-I hope Uncle X feels better several months later. They tell you nothing, but want to know everything.

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

I don't understand how to really use FB. I have an account but it was created by my IT guys when I had the public travel business and we had a web presence. They did 99% of the work on it, and also created a twitter account and blog.....all I ever did was approve friends. I still have the site but have not idea what to do with it! LOL!!!

I don't have the free time to do anything with it. I only have a small window of free time to 'surf the net' so have to choose where I want to spend time. It used to be MH now it is here at KT and a professional travel board.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

I love FB. I don't post much there. I like to see what's going on with friends and family. I have reconnected with people I haven't seen in 40 years.

I considerate FB a place for lite chat. It is not a place to bare your soul. Just a place to make "small talk' and share pics, that sort of thing.

I don't get the fear factor. It's not a site where any financial info goes nor do you have to post anything personal. Plus there are lots of ways to control your account for added security if you feel you must.

I really see the irony that many who don't "trust" FB still will come to boards like these and give out all sorts of personal info,post pics of their children and talk about them etc. There is no way at all this site is protected. We can't even edit or remove our own posts here. Leaves me scratching my head.

• lydia1959
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The difference between FB and the KT is that I don't share my last name, hometown or the name of my daughter or DH here. There's really no sense in having a FB account if I don't share my last name and my maiden name... cause nobody would be able to find me. Even if I elect not to share my home town on FB, it wouldn't be hard to figure it out after reading my wall and seeing where most of my 'friends' are from.

I agree that some people at the KT probably share too much personal info, I try not to. Even more people share way too much on Facebook (my DD included).

• User
    13 years ago

If you're worried about people finding you with your IP address you shouldn't post here. All you have to do is go to "View" at the top of your browser, then go down to "view source". Our IP's are listed with our posts.

I've met 99% of the people on my FB page. If they want to know where I live, all they have to do is ask me. If you're not my 'friend', you won't know it because I won't add you.

• Pooh Bear
    13 years ago

You have less security here at KT than you do on FB.