SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neeter3148_gw

Calling all messy, greasy cooks.: what's your backsplash?

neeter3148
16 years ago

Do you have tiles for your backsplash? Is there such a thing as easy to clean grout/tiles (sealer?).

I cook alot of greasy and splattery food... and we cook at home almost every meal. The kitchen we are putting in is high on function because we are "power users" of our kitchen. Now that part of the design is down, we want to make sure that it looks good too.

At first, I wanted Stainless Steel backsplash since that is easiest to clean and there are no grouts to deal with. I am putting in green glass mosaic tiles in the backsplash (about 6 inches) along the countertop. My GC suggested that I carry it up the backsplash behind the cooktop also. I kind of like that idea because I am afraid my all white cabinets and all white appliances will be too "bland". I am putting in Stainless Steel countertop along the wall. The cooktop will be in the middle with a SS chimney hood. The cooktop is flanked by two 62" windows. And no upper cabinets. Is that too much stainless steel if I use it for backsplash too?

My GC said that they have a sealer for the grout now that makes it easier to clean. I'm not sure he is familiar with my kind of cooking... my MIL didn't think people needed a vented hood and grout was fine with her until she met me (;-)...she told me this herself... "you are a REAL cook... you can't have grouts". I was convinced that tiles are not in my future... but if there is a product out there that will work to keep out the grease...I would love it.

What is your solution? BTW, I hate granite... no offense to everyone who loves granite... It just my personal taste.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (24)