SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ovenbird

Caramelizing large quantities of onions

ovenbird
14 years ago

This is the second Thanksgiving in a row I've made katiec's recipe for sweet potatoes with caramelized onions, and I've been told to bring this dish every year from now on...obviously, a very big hit!

The big problem is I quadruple the recipe and end up caramelizing 8lbs of onions. This year I used two 12" saute pans (onions were mounded in them) on medium low heat and it took about 3hrs to peel, cut and cook.

Is there any way I can speed up or shorten the process? Would it be OK to use one stock pot, or would the sides be too high for efficient evaporation of moisture and actually end up taking longer?

My tired feet and sore back thank you very much!

Marsha

Comments (32)

• mustangs81
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

8 lbs?? I'm tired thinking about it.

To the peeling task--I soak onions in water to soften the skin which makes peeling much easier.

• socks
    14 years ago

I really don't have an answer for you, but I think if you use a stockpot too much moisture will be retained and the onions will stew rather than carmelize. Just my theory.

I wonder if you could do the onions a few weeks ahead and freeze them, making less work at "crunch time." Or if you could somehow do them on cookie sheets in the oven.

Hope some others have ideas for you because that is a lot of work to do that many onions. Maybe you need a third skillet. I'll loan you mine!

• Related Discussions

Canning caramelized onions?

Q

Comments (53)
    Ann, I'm back from a trip to Ottawa and dug out this thread; can you say "can't let anything go?" ;-) >> Mine doesn't have the drying cranberries or candying ginger. So please tell, is there anything special about drying cranberries or can I just put them in my dehydrator? I'm afraid I don't know from dehydrators. I know I've read in several places that drying cranberries requires the addition of sugar to get them to preserve properly, and this book says the method given here uses less sugar than the commercially dried ones you can buy. Aunt Ellie says to cut them in half (hm; already sounds like a lot of work), place them in a bowl with sugar (1/4 cup to 2 cups cranberries) and toss to coat, then let them stand 24 hours, drain off the liquid, and then put in a low oven on a baking sheet (100 degrees F for 4 hours). Remove when "almost dry," and let finish air-drying for 24 hours. She says to refrigerate or freeze, so it sounds like they can't be counted on to come out 100% moisture-free at least by the oven method. Zabby
    ...See More

What to do with 35 lbs of larg spanish onions

Q

Comments (19)
    I can't count how many times I've made this recipe from Eileen and it's perfect for football half times. It uses lots of onions and I do heed her warning and use the anchovies. SELVAGGIO'S ONION PIE - Eileen L - CF 2 frozen pizza doughs, brought to room temperature or fresh pizza dough 3 to 4 lbs. of onions, sliced thin (I use Vidalia) 1 cup green olives with pimento (NOT pits), chopped 1/2 cup olive oil (the better the brand the better the recipe) 1/4 cup ketchup 1/2 cup raisins 4 anchovies, chopped 1 cup pignoli nuts (pine nuts) Pepper to taste In a very large pan put olive oil, saute onions until very soft...don't caramelize...add remaining ingredients and cook to combine. Take one dough and place in a lightly olive oiled pan (Sicilian pie style). Place the onion mixture on top of dough; now take the remaining dough and put on top...pinch sides closed as best can be done. Poke a few holes in the top for venting. Slather the top with olive oil and bake at 350 degrees until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. ANCHOVY HATERS ALERT: DON'T omit this. It's crucial to the taste, yet it melts and I swear you'll NEVER taste it! I HATE ANCHOVIES!!! Yet I can eat this with NO problem!!!
    ...See More

make ahead caramelized onions?

Q

Comments (6)
    katiec: Thanks for this great recipe; I quadrupled it for 16 people. It was wonderful and a big hit at Thanksgiving! I misread the directions and ended up with a layer of onions on top. They got really really caramelized (read that as almost burnt) before I realized my mistake and covered them with foil. But mmmmm, were they ever good. Hardly any remained for leftovers!
    ...See More

RECIPE: Potato, Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese Gratin

Q

Comments (4)
    Thank you for posting this - I have all of the ingredients and have been searching my brain for something to serve with a beef rib roast on New Year's Eve. My husband will love it (and so will I!) seagrass
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I caramelize that much when I make big batches of french onion soup and I use a big stock pot. They cook down quickly. It takes about an hour to get a deep nutty -but not burnt- color while stirring frequently.
    For 8 pounds I would add 2 tablespoons of sugar and about a stick of butter while caramelizing, but I use them as the base for the soup.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I do mine in the crockpot. Katie C told me how, I put all the sliced onions into the crockpot, drizzle with olive oil and let it go on high for about 18 hours, or as long as it takes.

Annie

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Marsha:
    Try par cooking them in the micro wave. I do that with small amounts, when making Stuffing.

You can do 2 lbs. for a test run. Should only take 5 minutes. Cook them until they are soft.

You don't have to stand there to move them around, as in the skillet.
    Then you can carmelize them, in the Skillet, Which shouldn't take too long.

Some one suggested freezing them. I can't see who it was ?

Lou

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

While it is not going to cut down on time, use the crock pot as Annie wrote. I recently did 10 pounds overnight, bagged them up and have them in the freezer ready for onoin soup, salisbury steak on a weeknight or whatever.

Peel, load them up, cover and walk away. Of course, the morning brings a strong odor with your coffee.

• User
    14 years ago

I use the crock pot when I do that many too. Works like a charm and requires no attention.

• ovenbird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! FYI - I made the onions on Tuesday and made the casserole on Thurs morning. My hands were also in bad shape after stirring almost constantly for 2+hrs and then peeling and slicing 8lbs of sweet potatoes. Oh, but it was worth it...soooo good!

For smaller amounts, I like the idea of nuking first. But it sounds like the crock pot is the way to go for those big batches. I don't own one right now, so what size and brand would you recommend?

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

OB, I ditched my newer crockpot and opted for an older model that I found at Goodwill. There were several to chose from and really inexpensive. As discussed several times here, the older models slow cook better than newer ones which are modified because of safety guidelines.

• tomatobob_va7
    14 years ago

One small time-saver: when I have to slice a large batch of onions, I use the slicing blade on the food processor. It's quick and saves tears.

• tomatobob_va7
    14 years ago

Ovenbird, would you post the recipe? Please? Tomatobob

• User
    14 years ago

I'd like to have the recipe, too. Was going to post about using the FP to slice, but tomatobob beat me to it!

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I do mine in the crockpot and then freeze. Do they "stew?" I guess sort of. Still taste good and caramelized. You can leave the lid off or take the lid off for the last part of the cooking. The stewing juices are natural onion broth so I don't have a problem with the flavor. If they seem too wet, you can take the almost finished batch and evaporate out some of the water. I guess you could also roast them for a while in a big roasting pan. I haven't tried cooking them a bit in the micro to speed things up a bit.

• ovenbird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK (slapping my head), of course I should use the FP to slice all those onions! (I'm a newbie at fancy kitchen appliances having gotten my first FP about 2 months ago.) I'm going to be so prepared next Thanksgiving...it'll be a breeze!

Here's katiec's original recipe. For the quadrupled recipe, I used a 4 quart casserole dish (3" deep) and had to cook it for 2hrs. I also layered incorrectly putting half the onions on top where they turned black and crispy, but were very very tasty. Hmmm, I just might continue to do it incorrectly!

Sweet Potato and Caramelized Onion Casserole (katiec)
    4 servings

2 large sweet potatoes -- peeled and thinly sliced
    2 large onions -- sliced
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon dark brown sugar

Drizzle onions with oil and cook on low heat until caramelized, stirring occasionally.

Layer 1/2 sweet potato slices in a shallow 1 qt. casserole dish. Cover with caramelized onions. Layer remaining sweet potato slices over onions. Dot with butter, sprinkle with brown sugar.

Bake uncovered at 350F for about an hour or until casserole is browned on top.

• kandm
    14 years ago

You can easily caramelize a large amount of onions in the oven using a couple of large, lipped cookie sheets. Just remember to give them a stir every 15 minutes or so.

• ovenbird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

annie1992, won't the onions burn after 18hrs on high in a crock pot?

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Marsha:
    I forgot to add. I use the micro for many other vegetables also.
    EG. Home fries. I nuke the potatoes for about 2 1/2 min.
    Then cut them up and into the skillet with butter and spices, to brown.
    Saves a lot of time ans stirring.
    Lou

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Burn? They haven't yet, they give off a lot of liquid and that has to simmer off too.

My "new" crockpot would probably toast them into oblivion, even on low, I hate the darned thing, but Mom's old Corningware does a bang up job. The old ones don't heat as hot as the new ones, so it's going to depend on your crockpot too.

Annie

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

I'm drooling. How thin do you slice the potatoes? 1/4 inch? Do you slice the onions into rings?

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Gina:
    1/4 inch or a little fatter. Cooks in a few minutes.

Lou

• ovenbird
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been thinking about the different techniques folks have talked about, and I've decided to make a couple of big batches of onions...one using the oven method and the other using the microwave first. Maybe this will save me the time and bother it would take to hunt down an older slow cooker. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Marsha

• lindac
    14 years ago

The microwave is very good for cooking certain vegetables. I pre cook potatoes for oven fries in the micro and use it to blanch vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower or carrots for certain recipes.
    But for caramelizing onions and cooking celery and peppers, you first want to evaporate off some of the liquid and then cook the rest until the sugars turn to caramel.
    Nuking the onions first only causes the onions to release liquid there, some of the sweet juice needed to properly caramelize them.
    The frying pan will work easiest...for me, it's easy to remember to stir it now and then if it's on the stove top.
    Use the Cuisinart to slice the onions...I use the 1 mm slicing blade and I use the 4 mm for potatoes....Remember you can't slice potatoes in the processor after they are nuked in the micro.

There is a reason why recipes tell you to sautee the veggies in oil or butter rather than par cooking in the microwave or steaming on the stove top.
    Sauteeing develops the flavor...it doesn't just soften the veggies.
    I can caramelize about 5 pounds of onions at once in my huge calphalon fry pan....it mounds up....and I toss with the oil and butter for a few minutes until they begin to brown....then turn down the heat and cook slowly until they are nice and sweet and brown.
    You're doing it the right way....it's work because everyone loves them and you have to quadruple the recipe. Take short cuts...and you might only need to double the recipe!
    Linda C

• elphaba_gw
    14 years ago

There's a reference to carmelizing onions on America's test kitchen website. They use the oven. Here's their recipe in case you can borrow some of it from step 1. And they say they think you can make the onions up to three days in advance.

Seems like you would only need two Dutch ovens since your requirements are twice what is in this recipe. They also have pictures on the site and some more details. The site requires registration but doesn't cost any money, just your email address.

from: http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=4746&iSeason=9

Best French Onion Soup
    from the Episode: French Classics, Reimagined

Sweet onions, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, will make this recipe overly sweet. Be patient when caramelizing the onions in step 2; the entire process takes 45 to 60 minutes. Use broiler-safe crocks and keep the rim of the bowls 4 to 5 inches from the heating element to obtain a proper gratin of melted, bubbly cheese. If using ordinary soup bowls, sprinkle the toasted bread slices with Gruyère and return them to the broiler until the cheese melts, then float them on top of the soup. We prefer Swanson Certified Organic Free Range Chicken Broth and Pacific Beef Broth. For the best flavor, make the soup a day or 2 in advance. Alternatively, the onions can be prepared through step 1, cooled in the pot, and refrigerated for up to 3 days before proceeding with the recipe.

Serves 6

Soup
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into 3 pieces
    6 large yellow onions (about 4 pounds), halved and cut pole to pole into 1/4-inch-thick slices (see illustration below)
    Table salt
    2 cups water , plus extra for deglazing
    1/2 cup dry sherry
    4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (see note)
    2 cups beef broth (see note)
    6 sprigs fresh thyme , tied with kitchen twine
    1 bay leaf
    Ground black pepper

Cheese Croutons
    1 small baguette , cut into 1/2-inch slices
    8 ounces shredded Gruyère cheese (about 2 1/2 cups)

See Illustrations Below: Golden Onions Without the Fuss

1. For the soup: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Generously spray inside of heavy-bottomed large (at least 7-quart) Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray. Place butter in pot and add onions and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, covered, 1 hour (onions will be moist and slightly reduced in volume). Remove pot from oven and stir onions, scraping bottom and sides of pot. Return pot to oven with lid slightly ajar and continue to cook until onions are very soft and golden brown, 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours longer, stirring onions and scraping bottom and sides of pot after 1 hour.

2. Carefully remove pot from oven and place over medium-high heat. Using oven mitts to handle pot, cook onions, stirring frequently and scraping bottom and sides of pot, until liquid evaporates and onions brown, 15 to 20 minutes, reducing heat to medium if onions are browning too quickly. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until pot bottom is coated with dark crust, 6 to 8 minutes, adjusting heat as necessary. (Scrape any fond that collects on spoon back into onions.) Stir in 1/4 cup water, scraping pot bottom to loosen crust, and cook until water evaporates and pot bottom has formed another dark crust, 6 to 8 minutes. Repeat process of deglazing 2 or 3 more times, until onions are very dark brown. Stir in sherry and cook, stirring frequently, until sherry evaporates, about 5 minutes.

3. Stir in broths, 2 cups water, thyme, bay leaf, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, scraping up any final bits of browned crust on bottom and sides of pot. Increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove and discard herbs, then season with salt and pepper.

4. For the croutons: While soup simmers, arrange baguette slices in single layer on baking sheet and bake in 400-degree oven until bread is dry, crisp, and golden at edges, about 10 minutes. Set aside.

5. To serve: Adjust oven rack 6 inches from broiler element and heat broiler. Set individual broiler-safe crocks on baking sheet and fill each with about 1 3/4 cups soup. Top each bowl with 1 or 2 baguette slices (do not overlap slices) and sprinkle evenly with Gruyère. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly around edges, 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Marsha:
    That's what The micro wave does for you.
    Evaporates some of the liquids and softens the veggies a little. The sugar still remains.
    Cuts down on a lot of Stirring time.
    They Carmelize beautiful.Photo Quality.

Here ia a tip on Carmelizing Onions, from the Internet.

Tips:
    Expect to spend 30 to 45 minutes to prepare this, depending on the level of heat used and quantity of onions to caramelize.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Tip to save a lot of time: Before following the instructions above, soften the onions in a microwave oven. Place in a covered microwave safe bowl for 5 to 6 minutes. Your time will vary with amount of onions and power of ov
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Give it a test , on a small amount.
    might be surprised ???

A short Story :
    A friend of mine who has passed on a few years back, had a Steak Shop.
    Some of you may know of it " Walt's Steaks " in Clifton Heights , Pa.
    I watched him one day, Sauteeing a large pile of onions on the grille. Took a very long time.
    I said to him " Walt, Why don't you steam the Onions in a large pot, then Sautee them "

He tried that and said " I've been doing it my way for 40 years, why didn't you tell me this sooner"

" I didn't see you doing it sooner "

LOU

• annie1992
    14 years ago

marsha, if it helps, I checked on other websites regarding slowcookers and caramelizing onions. Every one I checked gave high ratings to the end results but the time varied a bit.

My old crockpot takes 18 hours on high, with some stirring. It would probably take less if I were actually THERE to remove the lid and aid in evaporation, or at least leave the lid ajar.

Most of the website instructions say from 3-5 lbs of onions, half a stick of butter, some salt. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, and leave the lid ajar so the liquid will evaporate. Several posters remarked that they start the stuff at night and let it cook while they sleep, resulting in a wonderful smell in the morning.

I can't remark on the microwave, I've never used it and I'm pretty sure I won't, the crockpot method is too easy and convenient for me.

My crockpot is busy right now, though, simmering the turkey carcass for stock while I'm at work, playing on the internet instead of doing whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing right now!

Annie

• lindac
    14 years ago

I looked up how to caramelize onions....in 2 pages of hits no one mentioned using the microwave.
    Then I googled microwave caramelized onions, and of course got a couple of hits for doing onions, but mostly for other things in the microwave served with caramelized onions done in a fry pan. LOL!
    It's a short cut. There are lots of short cuts you can take while cooking...powdered garlic and onion instead of dealing with the real thing, stock base instead of cooking up bones and veggies, packaged stuffing instead of tearing up bread, instant mashed potatoes, refrigerated biscuits...I've done most of them at one time or another.
    But my taste knows the difference...and when I am cooking for a special occasion and when someone has not suddenly hit me with a request for food for 40 in an hour....I prefer to do things not the "lazy" way, but the classic fine restaurant, cooking school way.....because it tastes better.
    Linda C

• hawk307
    14 years ago

LindaC:
    It's been over 2 years since I first Posted on the CF and you have never let up on your comments.
    Only thing is you are never right. Just your way of thinking.

I wouldn't put in a Helpful Hint, if I didn't think it was Good.
    Just trying to save the woman some prep time.

Please don't comment on this . I don't want to start another debate.
    LOU

PS:
    If I remember right, at one time you used Powdered Garlic on Pizza???

• hawk307
    14 years ago

LindaC:
    It's been over 2 years since I first Posted on the CF and you have never let up on your comments.
    Only thing is you are never right. Just your way of thinking.

I wouldn't put in a Helpful Hint, if I didn't think it was Good.
    Just trying to save the woman some prep time.

Please don't comment on this . I don't want to start another debate.
    LOU

PS:
    If I remember right, at one time you used Powdered Garlic on Pizza???

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Well, I feel the crock pot is a short cut too!
    I'm a tactile cook; I want to feel my way through the process and crock pots and microwaves don't do it for me. I also like very dark brown onions and while I have never used the crock pot for onions, research seems to indicate there won't be any dark brown parts.

They do have their uses though and there are some things cooked better in a microwave than stove top. After 6 months of yogurt making on a stove top, I now prefer the microwave to heat the milk. No scorched pans. It really is the superior method in this case.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Bumblebeez:
    It beez like that. But I'm not talking about cooking the onions all the way thru.
    Just Par cooked and then into the Skillet to Carmelize.

Did you ever try it ???
    I just did some Onions for a Steak Sandwich.
    While the Onions are in the Micro, I got the pan ready and put in the butter and a pinch of oil.
    Lou

• kandm
    14 years ago

Linda I think you owe hawk an apology, the 6th post to this thread was his suggestion for using the microwave.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

It's not worth having another dirty bowl to me. But if it works for you, Lou, then great!
    To each his own...