SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethdipalma_gw

Agression towards owner--HELP

bethdipalma
16 years ago

We adopted a 18 month old purebred Poodle puppy to be both our pet and a companion for our 12 month old Schnoodle. He was a rescue dog and we do not know his past.They are great pals and the poodle's first 2 weeks with us were very harmonious. Both are neutered males. Our problem is that the poodle has shown extreme aggession towards my husband whenever he gets up from the couch or comes into the den. This includes growling, snarling, and lowering his tail and belly toward the ground as if to attack my husband. We love the dog and want to keep him, but now he has actually attempted to bite my husband. It is really wierd, because the dog loves to sit with my husband and plays with him. The aggression happens only when my husband gets up or then comes back into the den. ANY IDEAS?

We have already tried the following:

1. Have my husband firmly but gently turn the dog to the side until he quits showing teeth and snarling

2. Have my husband provide all the food and attention to the dog.

Nothing has worked and we need help.

Comments (24)

• joepyeweed
    16 years ago

Is your husband leash walking the dog?

Poodles are very smart and very energetic. They need lot of exercise for the body and the mind.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I think you should enroll DH and the dog in obedience class. The dog is showing signs of being alpha and it's going to take more than the two options you've already tried. Rolling the dog on it's side is not always the correct solution with an aggressive dog as there are other factors one would have to consider. IMO, this correction should not be used by novices.
    Your second attempt, of providing attention and food just confuses the dog more and apparently is giving him a stronger alpha position.

Do seek out a trainer's assistance and put both dogs thru obedience training.

• Related Discussions

Problem with an agressive zebra danio

Q

Comments (2)
    They can be a little "aggressive" but usually toward each other. Its good to have at least 3, 5 or more is probably better. This "aggressiveness" is more "play" to them. Then again some fish are just PITA bullies.
    ...See More

new nepenthes owner. need help/confirmation

Q

Comments (11)
    If your Nepenthes is potted in pure sphagnum moss, water 2x a week, misting it, and keeping a bag over it at night will probably be too much water. Unless your home is exceptionally dry, you might want to try acclimating it to your home temps/humidity. Many intermediate Nepenthes can be acclimated to windowsill growing. A south facing window usually provides the best light, acclimating it to as much light as possible usually results in better colored pitchers and a stronger growing plant. There are a few species that appreciate shade, but yours isn't one of them. Distilled water is perfect. The media should be most but not soaking wet, so water when appropriate, rather than on some set schedule. These plants are hardier than people give them credit for, slowly try and acclimate it to your conditions. 1st stop using the bag at night, then mist is less and less. Keep watering it just as much as it needs it and see how it goes. It may temporarily stop pitchering for you, but in the long run it'll save you a lot of trouble and a lot of worry if you end up busier than you are now.
    ...See More

Baby Jade Tree and Owner Needs Help

Q

Comments (5)
    Your plant is seriously etiolated and needs more sun. The white stuff is perlite and there's not enough of it in that pot. The limbs are weak because it is stretching out trying to get more sun. Crassula ovata like lots of sun. Acclimate it slowly to full sun, leaving outside all summer if possible. When you must bring it inside, it needs a south or west window or supplemental lighting. For soil questions, I will refer you to another link (below). As to trimming, I would probably correct the etiolation problem and *then* whack it back to about where the twine is tied (can't exactly tell by the pic but it looks to be tied about 3-4" above the soil line) It will shoot off new leaves in no time if given the proper conditions. You can start new plants with all the cuttings from the main plant. Just plop them into a good soil mix and mist every other day until you see new growth, then you can begin watering. HTH - Jo Here is a link that might be useful: C. ovata
    ...See More

Advice needed from marble countertop wannabe owners…quartzite? help!

Q

Comments (45)
    Thanks Lily Spider :) My inspiration photos all have marble counters lol!!! butI think I'm back on track again - I love classic and I wanted real stone so I think thats why I went the black granite route (though I guess this seems strange after considering marble!)… I've always liked honed black granite and I need to be somewhat practical re the kids - one of the reasons for the kitchen reno (besides the fact that we moved here a year ago and the current kitchen is awful) is to provide space for the kids to be able to 'eat in kitchen' at the peninsula during the younger years while they are still messy (i.e. dropping food everywhere) and to provide a place for them to color/hang out etc while I'm cooking…I don't want to be on top of them the whole time which is why I ruled out the stones that etched/stained/scratched - I think the black granite is a good compromise for me and usability for them and will work in well with the other components of the kitchen…thanks for getting me back on track Lily Spider (my husband almost had a heart attack when I said I was second guessing lol)
    ...See More
  • olga_d
    16 years ago

Have my husband firmly but gently turn the dog to the side until he quits showing teeth and snarling
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I hope this isn't the infamous alpha-roll that you are doing (flipping the dog over to show him you are the "boss")? If you are, stop - it makes things worse for him and increases your likelihood of getting bit.

I think obedience training is a great idea, I would also visit the vet to check his vision and hearing - that may be why he is acting strangely. Contact the place you got him from also to see if they experienced any of this. Also the way they responded to it - it may have made it worse. Excellent news that they are both neutered, that removes one possible problem.

BTW, in doggie language lowering the tail and belly shows fear or uncertainty, not a desire to attack (in which case you'd see a stiff tail lifted high and the dog leaning forward on his toes). Fear can also result in a bite if you push the dog too far, so please be careful. If your husband is scolding or hovering over the dog ask him to stop, this will make things worse. I would suggest hands-on help ASAP, be sure the trainer or behaviourist you get does not use violent techniques. You can also have him drag a leash (attached to his collar) around the house, so in case of a problem you can lead him somewhere else, like to his crate.

In the meantime, here are a couple of books that may be helpful:
    Feisty Fido
    Click to Calm: Healing the aggressive dog
    How to right a dog gone wrong

I think having your husband take care of the dog's needs is a good start, as it shows the dog that DH is a leader (all good things come from the leader). Is there anything you can think of that could have triggered this? Strange that it only happens in the one room...

• mazer415
    16 years ago

First go get the dog to the vet, there may be a physical problem, if the vet says the dog is okay. I have a question first off, how do you correct the dogs behavior? I suggest your husband give a correction to the dog. Have it be as unemotional as possible. You have two great suggestions, Leash walk the dog more often (three times a day) and have your husband do it. Classes are great as well. Fisrt thing is to make the dog get off of the couch when your husband returns to the den....Husband sits down first then dog is invited back up to the couch.

• olga_d
    16 years ago

Wait, this dog is up on the couch? I know how to solve your problem!

Furniture privileges at our house are granted after the dog has shown s/he can handle it and behaves in other ways - 2 weeks is way too early, I would say even 2 months is too early. And growling at a human results in an immediate "demotion" to the floor.

When we got our second dog, the first one was allowed on the furniture but the new guy wasn't, in case you're worried about that aspect.

• User
    16 years ago

Bar the dog from the couch/den. Seems to me the behavior is more territorial protection than aggression. By reclaiming the territory, you remove the need for aggression.

• JaneGael
    16 years ago

Do NOT have your husband hold this dog down or show aggression toward him in any way!!! All that is doing is convincing him that your husband is a threat and could end up in an attack as the pup tries to defend himself.

I don't think this is just territorial -- there is something more going on. Does the dog act like this under any other circumstance or in any other room? Can your husband play with him on the bed and then move away without a problem? If he shows the aggression at other times and in other places, its not connected to him sitting on the couch or entering a certain room...its his motion that is being perceived as a threat. I can tell you that this little guy was abused, probably badly and painfully by a man. The bad man did not sit and play with him so that's an acceptable behavior. But the bad man did come toward him or get up which was in preparation for the abuse. I think it's the movement that is starting the aggression.

What happens if he stops dead and waits? Have you tried that? I would also advise turning his back on the dog. That's dog language for "I don't like the way you are acting." It also immediately reduces the threat level this pup is feeling. If the pup stops snarling have him turn around and take another step speaking softly. See if he can break the trigger that is causing the aggression. If he can approach dispensing a yummy treat will lessen the threat even more. I use something like those frozen meatballs that smell to high heaven with garlic. If you can pair hubby's threat behavior with a great treat he will cease being a threat.

We specialize in taking abuse cases. Right now I have one that acts like this only she is fearful, not aggressive. We believe she is actually having a PTSD flashback to her abuse so that she really thinks she's in danger until she can be brought back to the present. I'm using the method I described above and it's working. She is far less fearful and breaks out of her episodes faster than she used to.

Consult a behaviorist if you can. I would also recommend trying to find someone who does poodle rescue who will speak with you in case this is a breed issue.

I would STRONGLY advise buying the very inexpensive book "On Talking With Dogs: Calming Signals" by Turid Rugaas. It's a small paperback that sells for about $13.00 She shows with photos different behaviors, how to recognize them and how to handle them in dog language so that you are being understood and not just dominating.

Something bad happened to this little guy and he's trying to tell you about it, but you and your poor husband can't understand him.

Peace,
    Jane and the Hole in the Wall Gang

• caliloo
    16 years ago

Get you AND your husband and the dog to a trainer/obed person ASAP. You both need to learn that it is a dog and cannot, under any circumstances, be in charge of any situation. You don't mention if the behavior is anytime your DH gets up and tries to come back or if it is only when you are present. I suspect, the dog has decided YOU are part of HIS pack and sees your DH as a threat/challenge. You both need to learn how to regain control of the house.

Alexa

• annzgw
    16 years ago

You didn't mention the size of the poodle, whether it's a standard or miniature, but either way I'd seek out a trainer to deal with a dog threatening to bite.
    Only someone actually observing the dog can help you vs us making lots of suggestions when we haven't see the dog.

In the meantime, don't allow the dog in the two rooms where the problem is occurring.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

You have some great advice here, I just want to say that most problems like this can be solved, and to thank you for your commitment to working it out instead of taking the dog back where you got it.

Good luck to you!

• spiritual_gardner
    16 years ago

I also think you have gotten some great advice here. If my suggestion has been mentioned I couldn't find it.

You and someone who knows how the dog is wired really need to put a finger on what is going on. Unfortunately, this can be difficult because no one really knows, so a process of elimination is probably the best way to go.

Two years ago I adopted a 4 month old Shepard/Hound. I am still dealing with some of her issues, for numerous reasons. Speculation by me, my vet and others is that she was traumatized before I cam along, and her chemistry just couldn't take it. Correcting things has been a very tedious process. I am now looking for someone who knows my type of situation very well and can deal with it, without taking steps backward.

It sounds like you should proceed in the same way. If you and your dog work with someone who is not capable of dealing with this properly, you could have a worse situation on your hands.

I also think that this type of behavior should be considered completely unacceptable from a dog. It simply must be fixed.

Good luck!

SG

• oceanna
    16 years ago

People hire me to help them learn to work with problem dogs. I just wanted to add something very important here. I agree that you need to get some good professional help on this right away. But please be careful who you get to help you. Look for a person who trains dogs by reward. That person should be able to help your husband and your dog both win, everyone will be happy and the problem will get solved. If you hire a person who trains dogs by dominance and punishment they could easily make your problem much worse.

• spiritual_gardner
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

I am curious about what you do with dogs.

(Sorry for the repeat). When I adopted a Shepard/Hound two years ago, she was four months old. I, my vet and others quickly realized that something was very wrong with her personality. She's very shy (which could be the Shepard in her). I've had dogs for about 16 years, she is my fourth, I have two others. They all get along wonderfully. Everything I did for the others as far as training, simply did not apply to her. It took me 6 months to house train her, just two days ago I took down her crate. In every respect, she reminds me of a special needs child. A very good dog, with all of this type of baggage.

Because of her issues, she is completely traumatized by other people, especially when we are out walking. I have no way of leaving her at the groomer or anywhere else away from home. People who come into the house are told what to do ( I have them offer her treats) and she has gotten somewhat better, but only after tons of work.

I have looked into people who specialize in this type of thing, but I am very concerned that when someone starts to work with her that she will take huge steps backward and I will have a big mess on my hands. My vet said that this is a possibility.

Any suggestion you might pass along would be wonderful.

Thanks!

SG

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Hi SG,

I've given animal training seminars and am globally well known in certain circles, plus I'm a published author in animal training. I do private consultations to help people with animal behavior problems.

You're obviously bright and your instincts are good.

If you're in the Seattle area I'd be happy to help you. If you're anywhere else I advise you to call around. Find out who are the clicker trainers in your area. Then find out who they recommend as being good with *systematic desensitization* to overcome fear of strangers. That's what you need to learn. When you find that person, sweetly tell them you want them to train YOU, and you want to be the one to train your own dog. If they agree, you've found the perfect person. Hire them!

Some dogs are more challenging than others, just as some of us humans are. It can be nature, or more likely it's nurture. Almost all dogs can be turned into lovely, happy pets with proper training and there's every reason to have high hopes for your dog.

You're on the right track and I'm glad you're going to deal with this ASAP before it becomes a big problem. Your dog and you will both be much happier when you get this solved. I hope I helped you see what to look for to help you.

• mazer415
    16 years ago

SG, your best bet in dealing with this dog is to 1, always pet it under the chin and not over the head, spend time ignoring the dog, going about your business without spending time on the dog, and have the people coming to your home do the same. The more you ignore your dogs behavior of choosing to not interact with people, the less attention it gets for this behavior the faster it will come around. Paying attention to a dog in this state is inadvertently rewarding the dog for acting like that, good luck

• spiritual_gardner
    16 years ago

Thanks Oceanna and Mazer for your advice!

Oceanna, If I were in the Seattle area I would hire you, however I am on the east coast. Your advice about having a trainer train me makes perfect sense, and I will run this by my vet and others who have been involved with my dog.

Mazer, what you advise makes sense also, I have been doing this and had some success with altering the dogs behavior, but it has been a very long process. Anything done differently simply must be done in a very calm slow way or she get's confused. She also seems to have ADD (attention deficit disorder) if that's possible. She is very distracted by the smallest things, very sensitive and very stubborn.

Thanks again!

SG

• Elly_NJ
    16 years ago

SG, which state are you in?

• spiritual_gardner
    16 years ago

Hi Elly NJ,

I'm in Maryland, very close to D.C.

Thanks!

SG

• bethdipalma
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am the original poster and I thank you for your helpful suggestions. I guess we need a behaviorist to assist as we realy do love the dog and he is such a pleasure in so many ways.

I like the idea of petting under the chin and not on the head and ignoring the dog by putting your back to him. Also will try making sure the dog is down on the floor before my husband rises from his couch.

I do believe the dog must have been abused by a man or that the previous owner was a woman and she may have been abused by a man in the dog's presence and he is trying to protect.

When we got the dog, it was clear that even as young as he was he was not well cared for. His coat was shedding and he is a poodle, his teeth were covered in tartar (now that a sparkling WHITE), and he had a sort of odor that took months to go away. He is apricot in color and as the groomings continue, his color is several shades lighter.

We are willing to work with him, but don't have loads of money to spend on a behaviorist.

Thanks for your suggestions. They are welcomed with open arms!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Beth, congratulations on the wonderful work you're doing with your little guy. I know you'll prevail.

There are some basic ideas to how to train a dog that everyone should know. Mazer talked about them.

- Reinforce (reward) behavior you like. The more you reward it, the more it tends to increase -- in frequency, duration and intensity. If we consistently reward behaviors we like, our dogs (cats, horses, husbands, kids, etc) get into the habit of looking for things to do that we'll like.

- Avoid undesirable behavior if you can. Sometimes good management is all it takes -- like locking up the trash where they can't get into it. Always try to set yourself and your dog up to win.

- Ignore undesirable behavior you can't avoid. Do your best not to reward it.

That's kind of the basics.

Turid Ruugas's book is incredible and you've had some other great suggestions here too.

Tell your DH to NOT stare your dog in the eyes, but to keep his eyes downcast and his body posture more meek. If he can approach the dog in an arc instead of head on that should help put the dog at ease. Tell him to whistle or hum a happy little song as he's going into that room. He needs to be relaxed, casual. Have him sprinkle a little trail of super yummy but tiny treat bits as he goes into the den (shredded cheese is cool). Tell him not to avoid this situation, but to repeat this over and over and over until the dog doesn't give a hoot and sees that this is only a good thing for the dog, that your DH means him no harm. Take it easy, though and read the dog well. The idea is to increase the dog's comfort, not make him more nervous. Keep us posted please!

• oceanna
    16 years ago

How are things going?

• bethdipalma
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for asking Oceanna!

Bugsey is doing much better. When my husband is getting up, he hands Bugsey a treat and he does not growl when he leaves. When he comes back, Bugsey starts his growling and snarling, but my husband puts his back to him and sits back down. It is much better--if we could just get him to stop growling on the return trip we would be good.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Wonderful! Good work!!!

Now how about DH asking Bugs to do something to get that treat. You know, the "nothing in life is free" (NILF) program.

Then what if when DH comes back he cues a behavior Bugs knows (sit, down, spin, etc.) *before* Bugs goes into his growly act, and then gives Bugs praise and a cookie for doing it? In fact, the first couple of times it would be good if the whole family cheered and applauded Bugs for doing his cued behavior. This should convince him that it's infinitely better to do what daddy asks than to go into his silly growling act.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Bugs, since he's got his act together in all other areas. I just think somehow he got his wires crossed about what he's supposed to do in this situation is all. Ya just need to uncross 'em for him. :)

• oceanna
    15 years ago

bump for Beth