SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friedajune

Senior Cat Has Ear Infection

friedajune
13 years ago

Background: My cat is 19 years old, but still doing fine, though he has of course slowed down a lot. Out of the blue, he came down with a bacterial ear infection. He was shaking his head, pawing at his ears, folding down his ears, and there was some brown discharge. There was no odor, so perhaps I took him to the vet in time before it got really bad. The vet diagnosed a bacterial ear infection after analyzing the discharge. There were no mites or parasites, and, at age 19, it is unlikely he has suddenly developed an allergy that would affect his ears. The vet said the infection was idiopathic, meaning there was no known cause. The vet gave me a topical cream to put in his ears, and within 2 days, it was clear my cat felt so much better, though I will continue to give him the medication for the full course of a week.

My concern is that this infection will return once we stop the medication, or perhaps some months down the line it could come back. As I mentioned, there appears to be no specific cause. Does anyone have suggestions on preventative measures? Are there homeopathic things I could do to proactively prevent the infection from returning? Dietary additions? Should I be cleaning his ears occasionally (I don't want to overdo cleaning, cause I think that could be harmful too). Please let me know your suggestions. Thanks.

Comments (9)