SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fillagirl_gw

Can I use a smoked ham in place of canned ham?

fillagirl
14 years ago

Hi there, I am new to this forum but not to GW.

I am having a cocktail party for 40 people and found this recipe for ham roll-ups. I have never made it and don't cook a whole lot, and was wondering if I could use a smoked ham instead of a canned ham, and if I needed anything else to add moisture. I already cooked a large ham and am just letting it cool as I type this. Also, should I chop up the ham, etc? Also, when it calls for "1 medium size sweet relish" is that a can, and how much is a medium size? One more question - calls for "hot sauce" - can I use Tabasco sauce?

Thank you in advance. -Fillagirl

-----------------------------------------------

Simple Appetizer for 40 People

By nanalori (9) Contact

I have used this when catering parties:

2 1lb cans Ham

1 medium size sweet relish

2 8 oz pkgs cream cheese, softened

mustard

hotsauce

2 pkgs 12 inch flour tortilla or 3 smaller size

garlic powder

onion powder

6 large celery stalks

In food processer, finely mince celery. Put in large bowl.Finely mince ham as if for ham salad in processor, add to bowl. Process cream cheese till light and fluffy. Add a squirt of mustard, a few sprinkles of garlic powder and onion powder,few shakes of hotsauce, and the relish to the bowl. Mix well by hand. Stir in cream cheese. If needed, you may add a small bit of mayo to desired consistency. Get out a 9x13 pan, set aside. Place one tortilla on work surface--spread with mixture to 1/2 inch from edges. Roll tightly, then roll tightly in wax paper.Place in pan. Continue till you have used all ham mixture. Refridgerate overnight. When time to serve, cut into 1/2 inch slices and arrange on platter, sprinkle with paprika if desired. I never have any leftover. I call these Lori's Ham Roll-ups. It sounds fussy, but is actually quite easy to make, and you do them the day before. Good Luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments (11)