SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mokanee

Really need advice re: amputation (long, includes history)

mokanee
14 years ago

Hello all,

I pop in here from time to time, but as mentioned before I am a really emotional person when it comes to pets (even ones I don't know) and sometimes I just can't handle all the sadness...

That being said I could really use some of the advice from some of the experts here (either just from experience or the trained professionals).

My cat, Kitty, is probably about 15 years old and has been an indoors exclusive cat for about the past 10 years. Recently she has dropped a LOT of weight (going down to 10.2 lbs today from over 14 lbs about a year ago). She has stopped eating solid food (except for the occasional treat) but still has an appetite for wet food. She has been completely normal otherwise even up until last night when she jumped up on my bed with me. But this morning I noticed she didn't come running for food and when I saw her I saw she was holding one of her front paws up under her body and wouldn't put any weight on it. I immediately thought she had somehow broken her leg and took her to the vet right away.

The vet kept her for the day to perform an x-ray on the leg and indeed it turned out to be a broken Humerus (upper arm bone). Unfortunately this is the worst bone to break because it is impossible to cast or splint.

Now I don't know what to do because the vet can't determine WHY it broke so unusually in the first place. She said that it could really either be osteoperosis or bone cancer that have made the bones brittle. She is leaning towards cancer.

She says I basically have 3 options: 1) Surgery to repair the bone 2) Amputation of the leg or 3) Put her down.

Option 1 and 2 are quite costly but I am willing to entertain them if they could extend her life to a comfortable/happy standard for the next 3 or 4 years. Option 3 I can't even start to bring myself to consider.

My main concern with option 1 or 2 is sure it might fix the immediate problem, but if it IS bone cancer then what's to stop the same thing from happening to another leg the next day?

I'm at a loss, I don't know what to think. I got them to take another geriatric blood panel as well as urinalysis today and I should get the results tomorrow. Should they be able to tell if it's cancer from the blood results?

I am seriously considering the amputation but does anyone have any experience with amputations in elderly cats? Can they adapt as well as younger cats? I live in a one storey apartment, so stairs are not an issue.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this matter. I lost my cat Jelika to lung cancer almost three years ago next month and really don't want to go through this again.

Comments (49)