SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Ok, what to feed the cats now? Practical help needed!

Rudebekia
17 years ago

I'm confused over the recent recalls. It really sounds like the tip of the iceberg. As I've posted elsewhere, my 8 year old cat has just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. The vet noticed that he had a high liver enzyme reading and too much protein in his urine. She did a test for hyperthyroidism and it came back very high. The occurrence of this new (and sudden) illness with the pet food recall has me worried, though. Is there any chance these symptoms could result from tainted food?

My two cats split a can of Fancy Feast once per day, in the morning, and then they have a bowl of Nutro to pick at all day. I just weeded out all the Fancy Feasts with wheat gluten and tossed them. I also tossed the treats with wheat gluten. In the past, I've tried to get them to eat a higher quality brand of wet food that Fancy Feast without success. They won't touch anything else. So I'll continue with the wheat gluten free Fancy Feast. But is the Nutro still ok? It has not been recalled and has no wheat gluten in it. Still, I think it might be time to switch to the best quality dry food possible. Can anyone give me suggestions--preferably something I can buy at Petsmart? Thanks for any responses. This recall situation is so troubling.

Comments (24)