SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladynimue

KD says the cabinets I like are UGLY :(

ladynimue
16 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm usually hanging out on the decorating forum but I think this question is better suited for this forum.

Two years ago we moved into this home and we replaced two very bad kitchen base cabs with Kraftmaid Kenyon Maple - with a honey spice finish.

We've been doing a lot of work on the house and are now ready to tackle the rest of the small, galley-style kitchen - which is why I spoke with the KD today.

He called my new cabs "Ugly" - several times, while shaking his head.

I said that I like the style and think it's modern looking. He said "modern for your grandma in the 1950's maybe."

I said one of my main concern with cabs is that they're easy to clean and these are very easy - he countered with "but they're ugly" and that such and such finish on other cabs (glaze?) is also easy to clean. Then he showed me some of the display kitchen set ups and claimed they never dust those, yet they still look clean.

PLEASE give me your honest opinion. I'm already shocked enough so you won't be upsetting me any more than I already am. I'm not into frilly or complicated designs, I like simple...but I don't want a kitchen that looks like Grandma's. And since we do plan to sell this home sometime in the next few years, I also don't want something that everyone is going to think is ugly.

He's not even trying to sell me anything more expensive, so I think he really does believe they're ugly looking :(

I'd appreciate hearing any and all opinions or thoughts, thanks so much.

Comments (84)

• User
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tell your KD as he's walking out the door that his design for this kitchen when out of style with his granny. The varied height wall cabinetry and the huge angled corner cabinets is a "home depot" special design. Definitely not approprite for a sleek modern design with a flat door. Don't get me wrong, varied ht. has it's place with traditional cabinetry and a large kitchen. But you don't seem to want or have either.

• sholt576
    16 years ago

I agree with the person who said that the slab panels -can- look cheap. I'll just go on the assumption that the ones you have don't have that cheap look to them (you know, the look where they aren't completely flat and don't touch the frame all the way around, etc.)

I really like the slightly darker slabs (like on the dishwasher panel, and in the corner) on loves2cook4six kitchen linked above. For my personal preferences, the really light slabs are too contemporary looking for me. But as I said, that's completely personal pref.

I would appreciate someone trying to warn me if I were making an aesthetically wrong choice. I don't want a KD to just be a yes man and let me end up with a garish kitchen, unless, of course, I have my heart set on garish. However, I also expect him to *listen* to me, and my vision, and my desired outcome. For example, I think you are right to question his idea of varied heights in your small space and with your desire for clean and simple lines.

It does matter what other people think. To an extent. Because this is a big investment in time, money, and energy. And this is not your forever home. You need to make choices that not only make sense to you, but will make sense when you're ready to sell your house. To an extent, of course.

• Related Discussions

I Went to visit my KD today. I tried to do the Marcolo Move...

Q

Comments (28)
    Commenting on the skills and tools to make frameless cabinets: Our local community college has the best furniture making/wood working program in the west, maybe more than that. They actually call it Cabinet and Furniture Technology. One of the things they offer is a certificate program in making cabinets. Framed and frameless cabinetry making are totally different classes with separate and unique building techniques. Each has some specialized tools for that type of cabinetry only. The head of the department has aggressively pursued state of the art for 20 or more years and is a kitchen cabinet maker himself. He got the European makers of the big machinery needed for frameless cabinetry to donate the pieces to the school so that there would be trained frameless cabinet makers out there, a win-win. I never took that class, but I saw the machinery being used - we're talking stuff that takes up a lot of floor space, significantly bigger than large stationary table saws. You know all those holes they put in for adjustable shelves? There's a machine that makes whole sets of those holes so they'll be perfectly spaced. You need to train on the machine to make it come out right. The guy beekeeperswife talked to has never trained in this technology and doesn't own these very expensive tools. I can see that he maybe wouldn't want to be totally up front about that. The rest of the world has gone to frameless because their native wood supplies are not what they once were. By using "furniture board" with the good stuff laminated onto the outside, less premium wood is needed. As consumers, we care more about look and function in our space, but it's good to see the bigger picture sometimes.
    ...See More

I don't like KD's layout, feedback appreciated

Q

Comments (42)
    hi erika, we don't have a formal dining room. we had one, but needed it to redirect the traffic in our house. The dining room was essentially a pass through from the entry way... very awkward. in this renovation we completed we did away with it and have a nice table in our living space (which is sort of a combo family, dining, kitchen space). our architect came up with a plan that will allow us to turn our laundry room into a dining room down the road if we feel we need one (this would mean putting the laundry upstairs which would mean adding on a bedroom upstairs (on top of a flat roof)... all of this would be a significant investment so we don't plan to do it unless it really irks us to not have a dining room. I personally don't feel the need. that CP photo you posted was one of my inspiration photos for my kitchen. I love that kitchen .the designer i used said that it is in Portsmouth, NH... I asked lots of questions about that particular kitchen and studied it as if I were preparing to take a final exam! on another note, I wanted you to know about a Boston area GW get together coming up in early September. at this point, I think the 6th. It will be in burlington, MA so maybe something not too far from you and hopefully you can make it. keep your eyes peeled for a post on it.
    ...See More

Dare I say I don't like it? (Again?!?)

Q

Comments (68)
    I'm with pllog. I may not have bad allergy attacks most of the time, but cats love me and make a beeline for me when I go into a house. As a real estate agent, I try to be very careful to not insult the homeowner, but if they touch any exposed skin of mine, I have an instant rash. I make a joke about not being able to touch the cat while talking to the cat and most h.o.s get the hint and pick them up and often move them elsewhere. If a house has multiple cats or is not very clean, I will sniffle all day and feel lousy. Most of the time, I am not there long enough to have a really bad reaction. I only had my throat start to close up twice in my life. Running outside and gulping air fixed it. I can care about a friend and not want allergy problems or, quite frankly, to care about their cat. You can love whomever you want, but sometimes it is not proper to foist them on others. I adore our sons but it is not always proper to mix them with company. The same is true of pets. A quick hello is plenty. If I had worse allergies, then that would even be too much. Having a non allergy aversion is also acceptable. It is nothing personal about your pet, but some people have a fear of dogs and that does not make them bad people. I was bit by a chihuahua years ago and am still leery around them despite not having much fear of larger more imposing dogs. I have some allergies with certain breeds of dogs, but will still choose to pet them and suffer a small reaction. The key is it is my choice as to which pet I will touch or not. My allergy to dogs is less than to cats, but I also like dogs more. Not liking cats is a personal choice and does not preclude me being a good friend or guest. If that means someone thinks I am not worthy because I don't like their "Fluffy", then it is their loss. The funny part is I am usually the most attractive human in the room to cats. I can walk in with several cat lovers and the cats want nothing to do with them, but love me. They must love "hard to get" people.
    ...See More

Who takes final cabinet measurements, GC or KD?

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi, Lisa ??? "I'm ordering the cabinets separately from the GC, so I'm paying both of them." So, You are paying both the GC & Kitchen Designer. Both were reluctant to measure in beginning. They agreed to measure togeather. (That's great!) You are buying cabinets directly from cabinet store or maker. Is that correct? ___________ I understand why GC did not pay for them if you hired a KD to design the kitchen. A good installer would want to check a kitchen design measures before cabinets installed to prepare for upcoming install. Mine do. But I'm confused what was agreed to between your hired help. Why did the hired KD hesitate to want to confirm layout measures for you before buying cabinets? That's very odd to me. Did the cabinet company design the cabinet layout or the KD design the cabinet layout? Did the KD work togeather with the cabinet company to design it? Why did the KD not buy the cabinets for you? By the client buying the cabinets, I believe technically if something does not fit right, the client will have to work with the cabinet company directly to pay for any possible changes or fixes. Because there was confusion in the beginning of who would measure, is a red flag of who is going to resolve any potential issues & who is going to pay for it. Usually it is more apparent on who's job & responsibility it is on a jobsite beforehand. I hope everything goes well & it probably should. Hopefully, they will work as a team to get you a beautiful, kitchen soon.
    ...See More
  • skypathway
    16 years ago

Amazing - and does this KD actually have customers?

I like your choice - simple and suits your space. If you can, go up to the ceiling on all your cabinets for that extra storage space.I think the varied height can be distracting in the wrong kitchen.

Sky

• kren_pa
    16 years ago

remember, "the customer is always right".
    i do not have plain, slab cabinets...they are not my taste and they would not suit my house. HOWEVER these are very nice slab cabinets with hefty doors, very 1950s. not cheapo suburb 1950's but someone's very classy moderne grandma from the 1950's. they can look very nice in the right home. i have seen "Kenyon" at the Kraftmaid outlet (many cabs there are nice, but were the wrong size/misorder--see KM threads). Kenyon is a nice, sturdy cabinet. My husband would have loved them...too bad it was me shopping ;-)
    Slab doors are more difficult to fabricate i believe, there is less tolerance for error. therefore if you like what you see, i believe you are getting the quality you would like (not much hidden).
    another thing...i have a small kitchen (actual cabinet wall space = 7x10). the idea of mixed height cabs in such a small space is not a good one, i believe. particularly not with modern/contemporary styled cabs. you're right!
    KD, "you're fired" as the Donald would say....

• dlspellman
    16 years ago

Here's my two cents of bluntness:
    I read carefully over your wants, here are your some of your words when describing what you want:
    Easy to clean
    Not frilly or complicated in design
    Simple
    Modern looking (I think you meant updated for resale, not contemporary, because you also said:)
    Very Much like a traditional look.
    Simple, Traditional

Now if you read thru, most of the responders who liked
    your cabinets described them as contempory.

So if I read between the lines and give your KD a tiny bit of credit (although I would still fire his @$X), I think what he might have been trying to say, but didn't say, is:

These cabinets would look great if you were going for a sleek, contemporary look - shiny marble tops, contemporary hardware, etc. But, since you are looking for a simple, traditional look it may come off looking like the cheap, slab cabinets that were so frequently used in the 50's & 60's.

Read back to an early note by pcjs, she used KM Somerworth and said they were easy to clean. I took a quick look at KM's options, I think selecting Somerworth with a slab front drawer, Northwood, or Barrington (all with the simple slab front drawers that have simple routering on the outer edges) - all give that simple, but traditional look you might be looking for and probably appeal to more folks for resale. Simple, not fussy, but not contemporary.

As someone else said, replacing a couple doors on your existing bases will be quite inexpensive.

One final thought - With your paint color and all the cabinets in a Honey Spice, you might have a washout... I, too, would vote for just a little deeper stain color (not dark)with more warmth to add a bit of contrast. Unless, you plan to do a darker floor and counter. Just be careful that the floor, walls, cabinets and counters don't all end up in a soft golden tone.

Hope this is helpful!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I interviewed several KD's using my own design with the request to basically fill in the blanks (those fillers, etc). I did the design using a cabinet book, and with our needs in place. The final designer tweeked in a couple of wishes I had expressed but wasn't able to work in given my limited ability (or understanding) of what tweeks they could do with a cabinet.

One design firm sent two different designers. THe first "specialized" in kitchens "like mine". What she actually specialized in was sleek modern kitchens like yours :) She was very clear in telling me that my ideas were terrible and that the design would never work with "her" cabinets (a green metal slab was the proposed cabinet). Now I never ever requested green metal slabs...(I prefered a shaker style cherry, and expressed that DH wanted natural cherry or no kitchen) Anyhoo, She had very specific design ideas and they did not work with my chicken mosaic :oP (Which she thought was "tacky"). So we didn't go with her.

The second loved my chickens, loved my granite and decided that my kitchen would be an old world kitchen with glazed and beat up cherry cabinets (worm holes etc) and that we'd distress the beam that runs through the kitchen so it fit in my "old world" design. (I would describe my design somewhere between traditional and eclectic, but NOT old world). We argued about the legs she INSISTED needed to be on our island (they could only fit if I left out a set of drawers, the trash compactor and the microwave...and I hate legs) and also INSISTED I wanted baskets EVERYWHERE (which are wonderful with furry cats in the house...if you like fur in your basket weave). She didn't make the cut either.

The last KD (ok there were more, but the one we went with) had done many different kitchens and showed me a portfolio with contemporary (like your's) kitchens, traditional, tuscan, blah blah blah...she has done it all and seemed equally proud of the different designs that met her different client's needs. She did discuss a glaze with me on the natural cherry which I did go with, but she worked WITH me in making decisions, verses telling me how she was going to do MY kitchen.

You need this type of designer :)

One note on those slab doors...A friend of ours just finished a multi million dollar home (very modern) for their ski lodge. (Yes that's one expensive lodge LOL) but one room I love is their kitchen. It's contemporary, with slab doors EXACTLY like the ones you have picked. It's a large kitchen, with high ceilings, but they still don't have a staggered cabinet design. Instead they're all up to the same level. Personally I think that with the style of doors you love, that's the better design. They are made to be clean lined and sleek. Staggering the design really does not help keep that design perspective in mind, and IMHO ruins the great look of the cabinets. I'd definately NOT do a staggered design with those cabinets.

And as to them being traditional, or contemporary....I took them out of a 1970's condo (ok they were more like the ones the designer was trying to sell you...pictures of wood on pressboard and they were very very cheap!) THey've also (the slab design) been used since the 40's but in all of those uses, they were always at the forefront of the "modern" of that day. I think they still are, but that being said...I think they're a classic modern look, suited to many different home styles.

• rosie
    16 years ago

I just wanted to say I like your sophisticated and elegant--and timeless--cabinets a lot.

I actually spoke with a KG who sounds a whole lot like yours once and was appalled. She was obviously enjoying herself designing her own favorite kitchens over and over at other people's expense, but she was very sincere in her very limited, current-mainstream range of what she liked and disliked. She's also still there... Thank goodness for this forum. Whoever her victims are, I doubt anybody who has browsed a bit here, benefiting from the experiences of many others, is among them.

• nuccia
    16 years ago

I also love lovestocookforsix's kitchen, and I can immediately see both points of view.

While lovestocook's cabinets have flat fronts, there is a great deal of interest generated by the creative use of color blocking, layout, countertop materials, design and design details. A good kd can incorporate your existing cabinets into an overall plan that can "pop" like lovestocook's kitchen.

My SIL has cabinets like that and her kitchen is ugly, but it does not have to be. She is planning to "update" the kitchen by replacing appliances and the tile counters with granite, but her kitchen will still be ugly. (I'd love to go in there and redesign it because there is so much potential, but she can't see it and frankly doesn't care.)

The kd has a point about cleaning, though. Any flat surface will show imperfections (eg dirt) more because of the way light reflects off it. Paneled doors create valleys and shadows that hide the imperfections better.

Good luck with a new kd!

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

Dlspellman gave you some good advice and things to think about. I think those who went along these lines gave sound advice. Good luck!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

They are very plain, and I can see that he might see them as out-dated. Especially in a light configuration, they might look like the really inexpensive 1950s cabinets.

But some people's "outdated" is other people's "retro." And I agree a darker stain might be nice.

in fact, my kitchen is 7x11, and I have DARK slab doors, and it doesn't look that small. I do have a window at the end, and a door in the middle of the long wall, which really opens it up and lights it up, a lot.

It's true paneled doors create valleys, but I can wipe my doors down once (of course, I also have laminate, and I can just squirt them w/ Formula 409).

• mommyto4boys
    16 years ago

Plain and simple...everyine has different tastes! Your cabinets are great for you and there is nothing wrong with them. What is wrong is the KD-----do NOT work with him. He has a problem seeing past his style and it is appalling to me that he was so rude to you. I would NOT work with this KD!

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Ditch this guy, and FAST! These are clean and contemporary and with the right handles, they will be great. This is just the look I am getting - slab doors, natural cherry and a minimalist, cool look (I hope).

What a nerve, telling you your taste is ugly. Even if he thought so, it is not HIS job to impose his taste on you. As it happens, my KD has much more traditional tastes than I do but she never for one minute tried to dissuade me from my choice in cabinets. BOO on this guy -- keep us updated!

• snookums
    16 years ago

It doesn't matter what you or he or any of us think of the cabinets - what matters are the huge red flags this guy is sending up. He kept shaking his head and saying they were ugly? I'm sorry, but I would have shown him the door right then and there. It's obvious he thinks you are a pushover to be be showing such a lack of respect. Don't work with this guy.

• fran1523
    16 years ago

Ditto what everyone else says. That KD is way too opinionated and is trying to push his taste down your throat.

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

I WISH I'd stuck with my heart and gone with pure slab cabinet fronts -- we went with shaker because I lost my nerve (plus we found some of the potential issues with slab front doors intimidating -- we didn't want the back supports of solid wood slabs and we worried about the veneered ones with our bone-dry winter humidities and sky-high summer ones). I like the shaker and it's undoubtedly a "safer" style in terms of future owners, but every time I have to dust those little "ledges" of the horizontal stiles by hand, I kick myself. There's a reason that professional restaurants use flat surfaces (and stainless steel) in their kitchens!

But my real point is to agree with those who say the KD is suggesting a standard, everyone-has-it look. My first thought, looking at his mockups, was "boring." Incredibly formulaic and with no hint of creativity, but perhaps all he knows how to do? The staggered height is absolutely wrong in a small galley space -- it's fine in a spacious room with high ceilings, not a narrow galley space where it will just emphasize the absence of enough space to justify it. I also vote for going to the ceiling with the cabinets if you can. It will give a real sense of height and spaciousness (not to mention more storage, even if you need a stool to reach it). Use moulding at the top, and use hardware that evokes whatever feel you want -- there are some lovely stainless handles with soft curves, or use something black or bronze in a more traditional look.

But mostly... GO WITH YOUR GUT! Wish I had!

(And maybe, smile sweetly and say "I'm SO sorry, but I just find your design so ... UGLY."

• marthavila
    16 years ago

I agree that you should ditch the KD. At the outset your tastes are not in sync so why go further? However, I'm curious to know more about the manner he used to describe your cab choice as "ugly." Did he sound serious or did he state it in an exaggerated, joking kind of way? And, what is the age of this KD? I ask because many people use insults as a form of closeness and affection -- although, typically, that only works when the parties know each other pretty well. Still, as a New Yorker, I must say that I'm somewhat used to seeing the "friendly diss" rather frequently. As far as the age thing goes, I have found that the communication style of Gen Yers and Millenials tends to be more snarky than that of previous generations. In short, not all insults are as intended as insults! :)

Interestingly enough, though, I've had a similar experience. In my search for rescue help with my midstream reno disaster, one of the designers I interviewed, kept literally making faces over my Ikea cabs. She knew nothing of the brand, kept muttering about the difficulty of working with it, and I could see the sneer on her lips and her eyes rolled skyward. Bottom line, she made me feel cheap and ignorant. And, hell no, her kind of snobbery was not an attempt at using insult as a form of affection! Needless to say, I did not secure her services.

Bottom line, like everyone else here, I say go with your gut and get someone to work with you that you doesn't cause you to cringe or second guess yourself when they start talking. Good luck!

• flatcoat2004
    16 years ago

ladynimue,

You should get what you want. This guy is undiplomatic at best, and just plain rude at worst. Do not give him your business !

Furthermore, although I understand how difficult it can be to be confrontational (I am super non-confrontational myself), I don't think you should just passively let him go on vacation and "oops, while you were away I started working with someone else, sorry !" (which is what I would be tempted to do :-) ). This guy needs feedback. I would personally tell him that a good working partnership is critical to the success and smoothness of your project, that you find his attitude to be rude and uncompromising, and that you don't feel that he can communicate effectively with you. You are voting with your feet and your pocketbook, and someone else will be perfectly willing to accept the commission for cabinetry that you love, but is not up to his standards.

In general, I loathe shopping, casual attire is worn everyday except for weddings and funerals, and makeup and high heels - what are they ? :-). The internet was made for people like me. I don't hold much store in appearances, and I get a huge kick out of salespeople in high-end places who give me the once over, decide I have no money and am not worth helping, and ignore me. Boy have some of those guys been sorry :-) Even if you were not all dressed up and had your hair in a ponytail, this guy should have treated you with the same respect that he shows everyone else, and worked with you to give you the cabinetry you wanted.

Good luck ! I bet things will improve rapidly with a new KD.

• pcjs
    16 years ago

I can't tell you how many people (not gardenweb - I wish I found you all pre-kitchen designing) told me how ulgy my kitchen would be when I was picking what I picked, but I stood my ground, picked it and those same people really like it. I was told my cabinets would be hard to clean with the groove/router look - nope, not too bad (and I really don't clean them either and they've been up a year). I was told the dark, would be too dark in a small kitchen - nope, not too dark. I was told I was picking a granite with too much movement - the movement is a great contrast to the dark cabinets and those same people (MY MOM MAINLY) love it now that it has come together (if we'd only finish it). I was told to stay away from vinyl and I'm so glad I got vinyl as it's so easy to care for and looks decent (color is a drop off, but it was cheap so when I get tired of it I can replace it easily).

You have to live with the end results - get what you want, and what you can live with and what is within your budget.

• olga_d
    16 years ago

Well, I'm not too sure what you mean by "traditional" I guess. What you might find helpful is to find some inspiration kitchen pictures which make it easier to convey the look you're going for, rather than words (which we sometimes interpret differently).

I think your cabinets look nice and if you dress them up to look more traditional the next owner could easily just change the details for a completely different look. This is a plus if you're thinking about selling soon. As I mentioned I'm not sure that I "got" the look you're going for, but I would also consider simple shaker cabs as I think they have a similar versatility.

Oh, and I would definitely dump that KD (if you can even call him that). I think a lot of times designers work with clients whose taste is different than their own, and I would expect them to have a lot more tact than that!

• fairytalebaby
    16 years ago

You don't have to ditch your KD if you don't want to...but definitely stand your ground about your wants and desires. You are paying this person money...don't let him belittle you. Let him know that his POLITE, PROFESSIONAL opinions would be appreciated...but other than that he just needs to do his job and help you obtain the kitchen that YOU want...not HIM.

FYI, my GC has called me on almost every choice I've made building this home (the brick, the siding color...everything). He's made many comments like, "Me and the guys sure didn't like that brick you picked out...but whatever floats your boat." LOL.

Float your boat and enjoy your kitchen!

• sjerin
    16 years ago

I think the question is, are you staying in the house? (Hope I didn't miss this 'cause I'm going out the door but had to put my 2 cents in!) If you are, then I'm quite surprised that others would tell you that slab cab doors aren't as appealing as shaker. Gosh, it's all personal choice and I don't think we should be making judgments, as the kd was doing. Have you ever seen Henrybuilt? They are gorgeous. Stick to your guns and get what you want; I know I will. Slabs are beautiful!

• sabre2
    16 years ago

We finished our kitchen remodel March 07. These are the exact cabinets we installed, chestnut finish. Our home is contemporary on a wooded lot so felt they went with the style of our home. We also plan to stay in our home for a long time so we were not concerned with resale. I also liked them because they didn't look like everyone elses kitchen.

• Debbie Downer
    16 years ago

OMG I think his mock ups are freakin ugly! Heavy battle ship grey boxes and dreary beige walls--ughh! Personally,I really dislike that type of raised panel cathedral door - too 1990s for my taste (sorry if I've offended people with that type of door but my point is that his tastes are not necessary any more correct or valid than anyone elses.)

Your wood slab fronts are simple but elegant in their simplicity. And versatile - you could go either ultra modern or vintage with those. Vintage? Yes, absolutely! (I'm thinking of 1930's cabinets, hoosier type cupboards with flat panel doors I've seen)

A good choice for resale methinks.

He's probably thinking of those cheapy flat panel doors from the 60s. Yours look NOTHING like those & if he had any kind of visual or artistic sensitvity he might recognize that.

Go for it! You're right, who needs the hassle? Life is short. You're not only paying for the final result, you're also paying for the consultation and a certain amt. of "hand holding" thru the process.

• growlery
    16 years ago

I agree, ditch the designer. The less said the better.

I like the slab cabinets. They're simple (simple is good for a smallish space). And YOU like them. That's all that matters.

50s is cool anyway. He just wants you to replace it with a bad 1992 kitchen so he can rip it out in another 5 years.

As to the cabinet height question: I would direct your attention to the Jan. Feb. 08 edition or Fine WoodWorking, in which Norm Abram offers "20 tips for better kitchen cabinets".

Norm advises extending uppers all the way to the ceiling, because it "makes better use of space, eliminating an area that collects dust and kitchen grease. Plus it looks neater." I'm seeing it eliminated in more and more high-end kitchens (unless they have a huge space to the ceiling).

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, so many great responses, thanks so much everyone!

I really appreciate being reminded to stick up for the design that I want and like... and yes, keeping in mind that we will most likely transfer from this location in the near future (6 months - 6 years?).

I took a look at some of the shaker styles, like the Somersworth. Ideally, they wouldn't be my choice BUT I do see the added depth and character they could give to the room if used along with flat paneled drawer fronts. The soft, beveled edges/arches appeal to me the most. This could be a real option for me.

I'm also glad to hear that I could go with darker cabs all the way to the ceiling (which is only 7'11") and not have the room feel cramped- I'd much prefer a medium finish.

For those wondering, my cabs don't at all look cheap. They're thick and heavy and solid. I've been very pleased with how well they've held up - they still look and feel like new.

I don't really know that there's much difference between modern and contemporary ... maybe that shows my age a bit ;) Someone called my tastes "clean traditional" and I like how that sounds.... most of my solid pieces of furniture lean towards very simple lines, minimal knick knacks or fussy details, traditional area rugs, traditional seating arrangements (I like order so I like pairs, lol), lighting with simple yet classic and traditional lines. I really don't think about it too much, mostly I buy & use what I love and it somehow works for me.

I like Loves2Cook4's kitchen, especially the pot rack and the checkered cabs. But it's a bit too modern (contemporary?) for me - I would never feel comfortable with the checkers even though I like them.

As to the question of whether maybe this guy was joking around with me in a friendly but exaggerated ha ha kind of way - NO, big fat no. He was very serious and appeared disgusted with my assertion that I like the Kenyon's. As if I didn't have a clue ... "No, no, no, those are just ugly... these or these or these all look better and they're less xx$ per sf." The mock up he did was actually a compromise, he felt, to my desire for a clean and simple look - his 'favorite' choice for me was something with a twisted rope in a painted finish - the darker glaze in the grooves of the rope, he said, would hide the dirt (!!). They were pretty I'll admit - but not at all what I want. My intention was to let him play with his design and then do another with my own - so I could compare the two in case I really was an old fartette with bad taste. But another customer with an appointment came in, so I just decided to leave.

I admit I wasn't very firm with him, I was too stunned and thrown off balance I think.

Btw, the quote he gave me was around 4k + tax + 'transportation'.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Okay, I re-read your original post. Here's my take on this: you plan to sell in a few years, so you need to think not just about what YOU personally like, but about what will appeal to a wide audience. I don't think slab front doors will hold the kind of universal appeal that you should be looking at if, as you say, you want to sell in a few years. I don't think the KD's door style will have that universal appeal, either. I think you need something simple but a little more transitional. What about a slab-style drawer with a simple stiled door -- doesn't have to be shaker per se, but something simple?

That said, the KD's design is ugly, not well layed out and out-dated, and his attitude stinks. I also think he is trying to bump you into a more expensive category of cabinets. I know you think he's not trying to sell you something, but the emphasis on glazing and raised panels -- both more expensive options -- really does sound fishy. If nothing else, you and he have very different visions for your kitchen, and that could be a very frustrating long term relationship. Not only that but even if he was "just kidding," you found his attitude offensive and rude. You're going to have to work with this person -- and trust this person to fix problems down the line. If you already don't get along and don't "get" each other, that sounds like trouble.

• gshop
    16 years ago

If you don't have the time to learn a design program, try Lowe's, they do designs for free, just bring in your measurements. There is no commitment to order from them (we didn't), but they can work with you to give you YOUR design, not someone else's. Good Luck!

• pcjs
    16 years ago

Do get what you want. We have the 1950's house, which is why I liked the Somersworth - I didn't want shaker, and I didn't want fussy (I do like fussy), nor did I want farm style, which I truely do love. I have pictures if you want them installed and I've seen others on here use them, but I didn't offer them as it isn't what you want. Get what you want!!! If you pick simple cabinets, you can go for more movement or a more fun countertop and flooring, which is nice.

For the upper cabinets, we have 8 foot ceilings and used the 36 inch cabinets with a little molding. 42 inches will be too big and Kraftmaid doesn't offer 39 inches (I studied the spec's very well).

If you go with something other than your original plan, with Kraftmaid, order a 15 inch drawer front in the color/door style so you can see what it looks like at home. We ordered ours through HD and it was about $40-50 - it was great for granite shopping and would have made a nice spare till I dropped it (oops) as it made it much easier to match up colors.

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

To Do List:
    1) Fire KD!

IMO slab door cabinets are like a little black dress - start with a good foundation and then it's all about the accessories. Follow your vision, you are the one who's paying for it and living with it.

• westsider40
    16 years ago

OMG- A total jerk with an 'IQ of soup' I have KM Kenyon. They're gorgeous! I love modern.
    What he is suggesting is what will be soooo identifiable as 'early 2000's' Kind of like 80's-90's postmodern-pardon me. Big Barf.
    Kenyon is timeless!!!!!!!
    Have him talk to an architect or look at great architecture. Mid century and Bauhaus and others of same genre are classics--and works of art. That's why those buildings and rooms are in architecture and design textbooks. Eames? Neutra? Mies? Miller? Knoll? saarinen? Sottsass? NYC architect cant think of name Bauhaus school?
    His designs will never be in a textbook because they are dreck! (Do you have an opinion on that, Bev?)
    He don't know nuttin' Big dummy. I.Q of soup!
    And he is obviously not listening to you b/c his mock-up shows different height cabs (not modern), upper pachkied molding(not modern), --look at gizmonike, organic donna, loves2cook, etc. modern
    Galley condo needs modern so that eye will sweep and then focus on focal points. His design is a jumble of each piece being 'look at me' with no continuity, no eye-sweep.
    I get raves about my Kenyon cabs with same stain. Big compliments--and I live in a high end 'hood of traditional, conservative people. Bev I am thinking of evil, violent, things to do to this purported kd.

• greenandgold
    16 years ago

I think the cabinets you chose are very attractive! Plus, if you like them, that is what's important. I would not worry that a future buyer would be turned off by them. They are simple and classic, not dated at all.

I agree with many others that you should find a new KD. I think the remodel process will be difficult enough with out someone insulting your taste at every turn and not listening to your valid opinions. It would be one thing if he was respecfully giving sensible advice..."Um, I think the lime green countertops and orange wallpaper might turn off a future buyer," but it sounds like he's just being a J-E-R-K.

• growlery
    16 years ago

He says your classic slab cabinets are ugly, then suggests ROPE molding?

He froze his tastes in time during his design course, and will never evolve. In any sense. Cut him loose and fret no more.

• ashlander
    16 years ago

I can't believe the dark cabinets "your" KD recommended for your kitchen. It appears that your kitchen doesn't have a lot of natural light, and with your ceiling less than 8 feet, I would think your kitchen would look and feel so "closed in."

I personally like light-colored cabinets, and am pleased with the natural maple cabinets I have.

I'm glad you posted your question here...if it means that you'll choose items for your kitchen that are pleasing to you and that you feel strongly about.

When we remodeled last year, DH and DD questioned some of my choices, so I took their concerns into consideration and re-evaluated my decisions. But ultimately I based my decisions on what I wanted and what I thought was best for the kitchen. And in the end, I am pleased with my remodeled kitchen.

• JohnnieB
    16 years ago

Hey, I picked out the EXACT SAME cabinets for my kitchen remodel--even the "honey spice" finish (although I'm considering going just a little darker).

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

Hey... I have natural maple cabs with ROPE molding. Does that make me a contemporary dinosaur?...:-)

• kacee2002
    16 years ago

We put slab cabinets in our new kitchen,cherry, natural finish for the same reason....ease of cleaning and because I love the look. I don't think our kitchen looks like my grandmas.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen with slab doors

• lightlystarched
    16 years ago

Those are exactly the cabinets I wanted. I think they are beautiful, and absolutely suited for a 1950s house.

• Fori
    16 years ago

I like them. I like them as a modern cabinet and I like them as grandma's 50s cabinets. And in a small space they are even better. Of course, I'd go with big round chrome knobs like grandma would have had, but those cabinets can wear sophisticated contemporary hardware just as easily.

Trust yourself!

• sue36
    16 years ago

You definitely need a new designer. He sounds like a real jerk who wants to bully you into what he likes. I wouldn't be surprised if when issues arise he tries to bully you again.

But I do have to say I don't think that is the right door to go with if you are selling in a few years. Whether it is modern or contemporary, I would be afraid that it will turn off some buyers. I have to say it would turn me off. I think you would be better of with a simple raised panel, maybe with a slab drawer? Have you looked at the Wynwood?

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Well I think it's obvious that you need to ditch this KD. But I'd send him packing with a printout of this thread to read for himself! And in case you really do print it out and give it to him...He's a darned overly opinionated, tactless, conceited, bull-headed, pain in the a*#, holier than thou twit!

Sorry, very immature of me to be calling someone names. I am just amazed that someone could actually come into your house and be that rude.

The cabinets are gorgeous. Good luck with your remodel!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

OMG ladynimue, I think you set a record for the most follow-up posts in 24 hours.

First of all, I think it is just terrible that anyone would say something like that to you.

I love your cabinets but agree with some of the other posters who say that you shouldn't stagger them. I also am not a fan of wood floors and cabinets that are too close in color in a small space. (Just my opinion.)

But, now that you have given us all this information you know that you must keep us updated on your progress! We are all looking forward to seeing your fabulous finished kitchen! (And that stupid KD on the unemployment line.)

Good luck!

• ladynimue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the continued support and advice everyone.

I'm getting the big clue that I need to a lot more thinking and research in this project. It now seem funny to me that I ever thought this would be a simple project. I have a feeling that you're going to be seeing a lot more of me around here :)

For anyone who is considering buying the Kenyon's, I think you'll be very happy. They are beautiful, strong and solid. I love the weight of them, how they feel in my hand, and cleaning is as easy as wiping off a table top. I have one base cab with drawers -one for daily silverware, etc., and two big drawers (one I use for pots and pans and have a lid stand inside - the other I keep tuperware in). I love how roomy they are. The other is a cab with doors and 2 pull-outs (no stile) - they hold so much and nothing ever falls out!

I have thought about (revenge fantasy! lol) printing out all the adjectives from this thread to read to the KD when I fire his hiney..."I'm sorry sir, but I won't be keeping you on this job because you are a bleepity, bleep, bleep, bleep...."

Btw, he's not a kid. He's probably in his late 30's to mid-40's. He moved here from CA. And yes, he was very arrogant/impressed with his own design skills.

• westsider40
    16 years ago

His so called 'skills' stink!!!! Staggered height cabs in a somewhat narrow galley? Come on, that's basic 101, NOT.
    Perhaps that's why he moved from Calif. If he thinks he is so hot, why was he underappreciated there? I am livid.
    And I am not angry because he criticized my Kenyons. I love my Kenyons. And so do you.

• netnerdvana
    16 years ago

I love the Kraftmaid honey spice finish!

I went with traditions cathedral hickory that has all kinds of knots/streaks/bird pecks. Looking at a single door looks like hell but in a whole kitchen they are freaking awesome!

Go with whatever you like. To each his own. I know there are a whole bunch of people that would hate may decision but I definitely made the right one and I stuck to my guns.

• pippil
    16 years ago

It doesn't matter if anyone else likes them. You are going to look at them day after day - get what you like and don't second guess yourself. (I like them.)

Replace him with a kd who wants to learn what you like and seek to make you, the client, happy.

• cocontom
    16 years ago

ladynimue, you obviously really love these cabinets, so you should get them. The biggest thing you need to consider for resale is how they fit in with the whole house. Our house just will not sell to someone looking for old world charm. And that would apply regardless of the cabinets, the house is a WWII shoebox. It's not grand, it's not going to be grand, but it can be updated mid-century modern and look great. Our slab cabinets belong in the house.

• sanborn5
    16 years ago

Ladynimue, they are not my taste because I like cottage style, but they are a beautiful modern contemporary cabinet. I think your KD is rude and ignorant. Get a new KD. I honestly expected to see some tacky cabinet when I clicked into the site because of his many times saying they are ugly. They have simple lines and modern as I stated. There is nothing ugly about them.

• pcjs
    16 years ago

I find the resale comments interesting, but remember that only applies if you plan to sell. I plan to die in this house, so I giggled when we kitchen shopped and someone said that to me. Why do I care what someone thinks when I'm six feet under and most likely we'll redo the kitchen again at some point.

• vicnsb
    16 years ago

Your choice is great...stick with it.

Kacee...I love your kitchen!

• lisalm
    16 years ago

Your original KD sounds like an arrogant jerk. I like what you chose, although I wouldn't describe it as traditional--more transitional or contemporary.

Here's what we did in a small kitchen in my last home. They were also by Kraftmaid in natural maple. We chose to go all the way to the ceiling to maximize space and also create the illusion of a higher ceiling (the room was just under 8', I think).

We did this whole kitchen (hired out completely) for somewhere in the 15-20K neighborhood. This was in the suburbs of Chicago.