SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Mirror Mirror on the... Fridge Panel?? Opinions please

beaglesdoitbetter1
13 years ago

Hi Guys

I'm back w/ more obsessing about the best way to panel my fridge and "appliance cabinet." For those who don't know the background

- I want my fridge to completely blend in and be hidden and look like a beautiful piece of furniture (it's a bosch single door fully intergrated and I have a great custom cabinet maker so the logistics of this shouldn't be a problem)

- I have a lot going on in the kitchen, aesthetics wise, and I don't want things to be too busy. But I do want the kitchen to be "glamorous."

- I don't cook ever. This kitchen is purely to look pretty and display dishes. Any cleaning/fingerprint issues that may or may not arise would not be a concern.

So, I have gone through numerous iterations for what to panel my fridge with and I am still torn on what to do and don't think I just want the basic cab front. So, now I'm thinking mirrors. I think they'll reflect my glass china cabinet wall and create symmetry and look cool and make the piece look nice, like an armoire. But is that strange? Will it be too much? Pros and cons?

Here is the general layout/design of the kitchen (it won't be quite like this- the end of the island probably won't have the frilly details and the sink backsplash will just be marble- this was an earlier iteration):

Here is the specific wall in question. The mirrors would, of course be going on the two end cabinets (the tall ones):

Here are some inspiration pics:

So, yay or nay?

Comments (87)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Bulthaup has an oven in an armoire. We have an old thread on the subject, there's an Italian designer who has sliding walls which hide the oven and storage.

Part of the reason you don't see this more in the U.S. must be safety issues. Like, what if you turn the oven on high and close the door? But Cotehele put her ovens in a separate room--she bakes and has the room set up as a bakery with a great sink and other storage, and she had the room, but hiding the ovens is something that comes up. :)

While I agree that the ovens are rather obvious in your plan, and it's more common to see a range as a focal point than wall ovens, in my opinion, it's a kitchen!!! Kitchens have ovens. You actually use your ovens, even if it's just for reheating. There's nothing wrong with flashing a few kneecaps. They might not be pretty, but how are you going to show off your legs without them? And how are you going to sit and cross your legs if you don't have knees?

Sigh. Okay. Here's an alternative. Swap the ovens with the armoire by the pantry (fridge or freezer or whatever it is). Or built a recess into the wall and put a door like on the armoires over the oven stack that can slide back into the recess.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like your knee cap analogy!

I am afraid that hiding the ovens in the armoire would be against building code and, perhaps, unsafe for our house (one reason I don't cook- I tend to get caught up in something else and then forget and leave ovens on, or pans of water boiling) Plus, I don't want to drive DF to divorce before the wedding even happens and if I obsess more (or spend more money) trying to hide appliances, I think that may be pushing things a bit! I think this may be one of those things where I have to deal with the ovens as they are. They are pretty little ovens and they'll sort of tie in w/ the cooktop since both are stainless... right? At least they won't be reflected in my mirrors IF I do the mirrors :)

{{!gwi}}

• Related Discussions

What do you think about thes mirrors!??!?!

Q

Comments (35)
    jeannekay - my sister is shocked at my low maintenance!! LOL! She is opposite of me that is for sure. I looked at the full length mirror today and thought twice about buying it! LOL! Jennymama- Well, the builder bought the wrong back splash tile and he was leaving for a short vacation this weekend. I went out the house tonight and they came and picked up the wrong stuff so that was a good sign! Tomorrow I am heading out to paint DD's bathroom. I hope it turns out ok. We are doing a fish, ocean, fish kind of thing! LOL! I was walking around tonight and there is so many little things to do but as far as I am concerned they can do them with me in the house! LOL! Let us know if you get moved in!!!!!! Oh wait....it just hit me, the house will be done next week but we won't be closed. Can we move in before we even close????Hmmmmm......
    ...See More

Please help with mirror & light placement over asymetrical vanity

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks for your opinions! Andrea... I don't think I'l have enough space to have side sconces and a vanity light. It's an alcove that is just 37" wide so it might get a little crowded. Would you center the vanity light over the 30" mirror or over the sink? Les... That might be an interesting way to disguise the angle, I like it! Nanny... What a great mirror! I'd like to use my vanity light if possible though because it can't be returned. (Although, I do own an extra sconce already so if I could get them to exchange the vanity light for a sconce...!) Thanks, everyone! Any other opinions? I have a decorator/friend coming this week to look at some other things in my house so I'll probably see what she thinks too.
    ...See More

Dresser Mirror opinion

Q

Comments (2)
    Why not hang the mirror to one side, and then use the open are to accommodate a great lamp or tall plant/floral arrangement in a great container. Nothing says that the mirror has to hang in the center of the wall above the dresser. The size of the framed mirror you have found doesn't sound bad, tho. It will fill about 2/3 of the width of the dresser, which proportionately should be fine - and allow for buffet style lamps on each end if you wish. As for the frame, I think it kind of depends on the furniture piece below it. If the dresser is really massive and detailed, a frameless beveled mirror may look too skimpy. If the dresser is very modern and clean-lined, a frameless mirror may be perfect. Also, remember that you can purchase a picture frame that you like and have a mirror added.
    ...See More

Mirrored obelisk...the form

Q

Comments (7)
    Actually we had hurricane Bill last weekend and this weekend we have what is left of Dan to deal with LOL...so we do get storms for sure. I am on the east coast of Canada. I have been toying with various ideas of how to secure it but I hope it will weigh a substantial amount to help with that. I may end up having to change its location so I can put rebar into the ground to secure it? Just different thoughts going on right now I guess. I will put a slurry coat on like flag suggested before I bring it into the house. Then I will just putter away at it. I don't plan on grouting it till next spring when it can be outside, I think that will help with carrying it out, when it shouldn't be quite so heavy. Today because of tropical Dan I think I will take some time to work on various designs that I might do. I should also trace out the shape onto bristol board too. Seeing this in person has my creative side running wild right now! The gentleman that did this really did do a great job on it blending all the angles smoothly etc. I am extremely pleased with the result. We are already discussing a way to make one with removable frames so I could put stained glass panels in and a flood light inside! But that project is for another time haha. Thanks for the lovely comments on my garden...I live outside in the summer, I really enjoy the ponds and gardens a lot. Once gardens are established the weeds aren't a big deal. Flag I hope you can figure out a way to use your metal obelisk to do the same thing. I'm sure after seeing some of your work it would be just an amazing piece for you. I will try and post my design ideas later if I get a chance and you guys can hopefully give me your thoughts about them. Thanks again all.
    ...See More
  • sabjimata
    13 years ago

another example of antiqued mirror

Here is a link that might be useful: antiqued copper mirror

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Yestertec makes armoires for ovens and such to conceal them. They can't be against international building code or they would not be able to produce them. International building code is supposed to override old local codes but there are turf wars over stuff like this.

My suggestion about the ovens is because Everything in the kitchen is concealed except the ovens. I am assuming the cooktop is glass and flush by the drawings.

It Is a kitchen and not a particularly practical one, but I think that the appearance of a butlers pantry or china pantry with One exposed appliance is going to look a bit off--more so than if other appliances are out in the open.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yestertec

• ellaf
    13 years ago

No advice, but I have seen a kitchen on line that you might use as inspiration. The owner of this kitchen has a ton of tablecloths and dishes that need to be stored, and her kitchen is elegant and lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Round Table - kitchen blog

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks sabjimata. Do you like the idea of the antique mirror on the fridge?

Palimpsest I will ask my cabinet maker and builder about the possibility of hiding the ovens. We don't have a lot of wiggle room unfortunately b/c the wall is already built and there are dish washers on either side of that sink (hidden) so we can't make them any smaller. I am not happy w/ the ovens there and really haven't been this whole time, but I haven't known where else to put them. I may ask DF again about relocating them to the pantry. I do think it makes more sense if we can put a cabinet there that has doors that close and then i can put appliances in it that I actually use more (like the K-cup maker!)

Thanks ellaf! That kitchen is beautiful!! And her ovens are not really visible since she went for the range and they are kind of hidden by the island. It definitely looks better w/o the ovens there!!

• jenva2010
    13 years ago

Well, if the wall is already built, then you can't easily recess the wall ovens (well, you could, but I doubt you'd want to spend $ ripping out a brand-new wall). Can you bump out the sink and dishwashers a few inches? If the ovens are a few inches back, they won't draw the eye as much.

And have you already purchased the double ovens? If not, perhaps your DF would go for a single oven in the kitchen and a second single oven in the pantry?

As far as mirrors on the fridge -- in most of your inspiration pics, the mirrored armoire is the focal point of its wall. It looks to me like the hood and mural are intended to be the focal point of that wall in your kitchen. So I would stick with solid wood.

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

What about a metal insert instead of mirror? Someone here (escapes me at the moment) has a lovely piece with punched tin or copper in the door panels, and I myself have a hutch with copper in the door panels.

We didn't want anything see through, but more interest than plain wood. We considered antiqued mirror (our second choice) but then decided to carry through the backsplash material instead:

They are from a company that coats the metal so it doesn't patina any further (if that concerns you) and you can wipe it down no problem. They also do stainless and have many more calm options than the one we chose too. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: these are just some of the finishes, they can do whatever you like

• Fori
    13 years ago

Pie safe!!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

IMO I think you have enough going on in the kitchen as focal points or stand out items and the mirrors would just make it look cluttered. I appreciate that you're scaling back some of the decor items, but IMHO, I think the mirrors are just too much.

And I feel like I have to comment about the kid situation. Let me start off by saying that DH and I don't have kids yet either and we're not planning kitchen around having children in case we can't...but I'm still keeping the concept of kids in general in the back of mind while planning because someday we may have nieces and nephews, or our friends will bring their kids over to hang out. I don't want my friends to feel like they have to be like eagles watching over thir children in case they forget ot accidently mess up some surface in my house. It just seems like a very uncomfortable situation for everyone.

I really don't want to beat a dead horse and it sounds like your mind is made up but I want to point out one more thing that just because your future kids might know enough to not put anything on the counters that would harm them, what about your friend's kids. Or if you do have children, what about their friends?

I appreciate that you have fallen in love with certain elements and materials and an "over all" look even if its not a space you're going to be using as it's really intended. That's fine. But I think it would be rather naive to think that if it's going to be a useable space at all that it'll forever be a pristine showpiece. JMHO.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jenva2010 we probably could bump out the sink, etc. I already have that being bumped out a little so that the ovens were flush and didn't stick out forward. I have to be careful b/c of that corner pantry door though. I'll ask my cabinet maker what he thinks. We have already purchased the double ovens (floor model sample sale) so I don't think we can switch it out. That is a good point about the mirrors detracting from the hood and mural which I do not want them to do! I just don't want the fridge to look like a fridge w/ panels on it, so I'm so torn! For example, this is NOT the look I am going for (although there's nothing wrong with it, its just not for me:
    {{!gwi}}

honeychurch your kitchen and those panels are beautiful! I've looked at it many times in the kitchen blog and showed it to me DF. I am afraid doing something like that in my kitchen, though, would 1) detract from the mural 2) make my kitchen busier than it is and 3) be too contemporary. Those panels are gorgeous though!

fori- I am not entirely familiar with what a pie safe is? I googled and it looked like there was a huge variety of different ones, mostly cabinets w/ boxes w/ designs, is that right?

like that?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks craftlady07. One more vote against the mirrors :)

Those who are against them, what wood would you do? The issue is, we really don't have any upper cabinets that aren't glass except for the one above the oven, so it isn't like we can just repeat the upper cabinet pattern to make the fridge blend in?

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

I would mimic the glass uppers you have for the china wall but instead of glass have wood panels.

I like the look of furniture style cabinets and I like to look of an armoire type cabinet if it's the focal piece of the kitchen. or in an unfitted kitchen where it looks like a collection of furniture collected over the years.

Have you really decided what you want the focal point to be? The glass china cabinets? the marble/sink? the Mural behind the range? The whole range wall? It seems like you're trying to highlight every last nook and cranny and that's when things start to look too busy. Like I said, I appreciate that you scaled back on the sink backsplash and the frilly details on the island. but it's stil la bit over the top to me.
    I don't see a lot of blending I see a lot of things competing for attention.
    I hope my tone isn't coming across as mean or argumentative. I'm just trying to explain what I'm seeing, and I'm not always the best at that.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You are not coming across as argumentative at all craftlady. On the range wall, I want the mural to be the focal point. On the sink wall, I want the marble sink and plate rack to be the focal points. The china cabinet wall will be a standalone focal point... so, basically, one focal point per wall. What would you do to simplify things and make things "blend" more?

Keep in mind, I am also kind of going for an over-the-top look. I really want a sort of french manor/glam style... but still very elegant and not overdone.

I think of it is as sort of a "crystal chandelier" kitchen (not that I'm using these lights... but this is the "feeling":

but not a "dripping with crystals" kitchen

(if that analogy makes sense)

• Fori
    13 years ago

Yeah that's a pie safe. I was just inspired by Honeychurch's metal panels, which are more sophisticated than a traditional punched metal pie safe.

I think you should see about doing glass on the upper panels of the fridge with some fabric behind it (yeah these panels are getting a little fat!). Then you can put fabric in some of the real cabinets to add to the disguise.

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

I hope I am not beating a dead horse, but regarding the "kids" thing. Even if you don't cook, there will be bottles to warm while a toddler is crying at your feet, there will be jars of baby food to open and feed the child. Will this happen in the kitchen? If so, I doubt you can keep if off the walls or the fridge. As the kids get older, they'll want snacks...all the time. My kids are 7 and 10 and they eat constantly. They ask me for food constantly when I am working from home. You will begin to teach them to "get it themselves" so to have some peace. They will be getting peanut butter out of the fridge, making toast, pouring juice. You can try to teach them to be neat. You can teach them to clean up. But I think things will get dirty.

My 2 cents.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alright. I get the consensus. Kids mess everything up :) Like I said IF we even have kids, that is not for years. I'm not going to design the kitchen around 'em. If they screw things up too badly, we can always replace stuff then (or ship the kids off to grandmas til they are 18, lol- J/K!!)

I was in a house once that had a separate "nanny" kitchen in the basement. When we finish our basement, maybe we'll just do that, throw some easy-to-clean laminate and some inexpensive cabinets, and the kids can be destructive to their hearts content.

In the meantime... mirrors? Alternatives to mirrors? Fabric? Wood?

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

well that's good to hear :) I think eliminating the frilly decorations from the island is a good start. I feel like in your rendtion they compete with the accents in the range wall mostly. And I know you were trying a bunch of different door options out for the fridge/pantry, but I think the simpliest way to deal with them is to make them look like the china hutches.

I googled elegant, ornate, glamorous, luxury, french country kitchens and in general I was just noticing that the tone seems smooth, soft and quiet and almost 'silky' in most of the pictures. (probably weird words to use to describe pictures). I think your photoshop renditions (which is absolutely no fault of your own) really highlight the details almost in a harsh way and the blue against the white is almost jarring to my eyes. When I look at them I have to really tell myself it's not going to look that way IRL (in real life). I think that's probably where some of my apprehension and initial skeptisism (sp?) comes from when I look at your pictures and try to imagine it. Plus, I'm not gonna lie, I can really see spending boatloads of money on a room I'm not even gonna use. Probably why I never really understnad formal living rooms or dining rooms either (I understand the rooms, but just not the "formal" part).

I like the first inspiration pic you posted (with the mirrored cabinets flanking the doorway), but it looks like the rest of the kitchen is fairly simple medium stained cabinets...so it's not so much of the really ornate, extragavant decoration and details and glass all over on every wall. it's just in that one spot.

I also like the one you posted later with the black mirrored hutch and the white island. That one appears to be way more modern then what you're going for, but I still think it's very high-end and elegant, albeit it not very posh or plush (I think that's what I'm trying to say).

When I came across these pictures, I thought of you. I think this is sort of what you're going for, right?
    enzy living blog

www.93st.com

emzy living blog

I know there are some ornate details in this picture, but it's still blends and is very soothing to my eye. and notice it looks like the fridge panel doens't exactly match the pantry (I'm assuming) cabinet at the other end of the sink run.

haskellinteriors.com

I'm not sure if this is quite what you're going for or not
    www.palmbeachlighting.com

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

craftlady07 I know what you mean about the photoshop. It does highlight the details probably more than will exist in real life.

I LOVE all of these pictures that you have found! Thank you so much! They are all pretty much exactly the style I am going for!!

The ones I like the most are the www.93st.com with all the repeating glass, and I really do like the www.palmbeachlighting.com although that one is perhaps a bit over-the-top even for me! I'd have left all that frilly blue stuff off the large mirrored cabinet....

The haskellinteriors.com was also really helpful to see. I think that one may be just as ornate, if not more so, than mine b/c I have simpler legs and simpler corbels and simpler crown molding, no lacy window treatments, and fewer (probably simpler) carvings (although I do have the mural) Also, I really really hate how those end cabinets don't match each other and that one is a french door and the other not.... That would make me nuts!! As far as having the cabinets on the ends in wood like that picture... I don't know... I don't dislike it.... I don't know if I love it either though...

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I don't necessarily go with the kids mess everything up thing (unless they are allowed to...imo) I grew up with siblings with a white kitchen, that was also used by 5 grandchildren who sometimes stayed for months in the summer and its still white, with a white floor--after 42 years. And I don't remember there being a lot of scolding for them to keep it that way. It was presented to them as such and expected they use it in a way it would stay white. Some of them were not all that neat at their own houses either, because it wasn't expected. But they were capable.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the ray of hope that kids won't destroy my house palimpsest! I'd like to believe it can be done! :) I know I see people here w/ nice kitchens (even w/ marble) that aren't a disaster and I presume at least some of them have kids running around too, so I think there's hope!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

Yay! I'm glad that they helped. :)
    I'm trying to picture mirrors across from glass. I just kind of feel that it'll be too busy since it'll be like 2 long walls of china. (I realize the stove area will break up the glass)

I found this on decor pad, it says "Thanks to cote de texas" under the picture

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

craftlady07 how are you finding all these great shots? I thought I'd searched out every instance of mirrors or glass in the kitchen, but I hadn't seen these. I LOVE that kitchen! Love it! I love that wall of glass, love the hutch, love the wall of windows, love the open shelf and the glass cabinet by the stove!! I guess they don't have their fridge behind the glass since I see it peeking out over in the kitchen part, but they certainly could have.

I don't think that kitchen is busy, do you?

Remember, if we do the mirrors, they won't be right across from the china cab wall. There is an 11 foot long island, 3 foot wide island in the middle (which doesn't show up very well in my photoshop) and the island will have 2 chandeliers over it so the reflection (if there is one, and the mirrors aren't antiqued to avoid it) would be of the chandeliers probably. The kitchen is 18 feet wide, so there's a fair bit of space separating the china cabinet wall from the mirror wall (if each of those banks of cabinets is 2 feet deep, we'd have 14 feet of separation w/ the island in the middle).

Also, I wanted to comment so you don't think I'm making a room that will never be used- we are going to USE the kitchen. Just not cook in it too much. We have a really pretty breakfast nook w/ a wall of windows that I'm going to put a settee and comfortable wing chairs and a long farmhouse table in and we'll have people over to play games at the table or sit at the table to eat, etc. So it's going to be used and we're going to be looking at how pretty it is regularly :) We just aren't gonna cook in it. Is that better? :)

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

Forgive me for not reading the responses, just loving the pictures. LOVING the pictures! One thing I wish I'd done was mirror our fridge / freezer, similar to some of the pics above, and who knows? Maybe some day we shall. I couldn't care less about fingerprints because you know what? I have white painted cabs and polished nickel hardware and baby, those show fingerprints and all other kinds of stuff. This is why I am entering a 12-step program for Windex -- that stuff is awesome!

Because I am partial to the lightness, brightness, reflectivity quality of mirrors (plus I like looking at myself) AND I like your idea of symmetry with your glass cabs, I say Go For It!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks rmkitchen! That kind of sentiment makes me think I'll regret it if I don't just go for it since I too love all the pictures. We, too, will have white painted cabinets and perhaps nickel hardware. And chandeliers that need dusting. I'm breaking all the cleaning rules :)

Maybe Windex will be my new best friend too... They make those little windex wipes, don't they- just pull 'em right out of the container and swipe?

I wish i could do it both ways in real life and see what I like better :(

• plllog
    13 years ago

My last (I promise) mention of the kids thing--it's not that they'll destroy the kitchen. It's that kids and the help both might etch the stone. That's where this started. Not that they'll bomb the place. Just that squeezing an orange or lemon, or spilling a little, unnoticed, can etch. Hopefully by then there will be some patina and you won't be so concerned about preventing it.

The mirrors are across from the china cabinets, as in directly opposite. They will be directly reflecting them. As well as everything else. :)

I'm still in the wood would be better camp, but whatever fancy moldings or panels strike your fancy. :) If you're sure of the mirrors, though, it's not like it's going to be awful! It's just the lack of resting places for the eye that bothers me. It's something one wants in a good design. A place where nothing much is going on, to make the other features pop. I have a really busy design too, and managed to make my striped (bamboo) cabinets into a resting space, as well as my dark green soapstone island top. Just a few calm places without a lot of details can really make the design. But if you're sure you want more is more, go for it! It'll be fine.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pllog- Thanks. I just won't buy oranges. Or lemons :) Or I'll have to get over it and deal if there is some problem w/ the counters. I'd kinda prefer the problem to be on the marble since that would be a lot cheaper to fix/replace then blue bahia so I'll try to direct all orange-prep over there.

I'm still not sure of the mirrors and my mind is far from made up either for or against. Another consideration is the planned frosted glass pantry door that will be right next to the fridge mirror. I am afraid that too will look off to have mirror and then frosted glass and then ovens and then regular glass. That problem would probably be made even worse if I used antiqued mirrors, right?

I am going to meet w/ my cabinet person some time in the beginning of March again. I'm going to ask him if he has any suggestions for making the end panels really look like furniture/ an armoire as opposed to like a fridge with a panel on it like that picture I showed that I said I didn't want. Maybe he'll be able to give me some indication of how we can create a real furniture feel AND keep things simple, maybe capture the feeling of that wisteria armoire or something....

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

lol, I'm not sure, I was just doing google image searches and would just change the word descriptions around to see what popped up.

that last picture is not at all busy because it's a very simple color scheme. white and black. No flowery patterns or anything or colored scroll work. All the display pieces on the shelves are solid white.

Again, it might be the photoshop images but I imagine the plates you want to display looking like this,

which is very busy to the eyes when you have a whole wall of it. and if that is reflected in the mirror, it's jsut adding to the busy-ness.

Check out the thread that I linked below. There's a picture there from amylville that reminded me of your cooktop wall. I don't think you'll like her paneled fridge though.

I want to ditto everything that pllog said in the last post re: the kids in the kitchen and the reflection in the mirror but most importantly the fact that mirrors won't look bad necessarily, but the lack of a resting place for the eyes that gets me. If you want the mural to be the focal point of the wall, I really think wood panels are the way to go.

And I didn't mean you weren't going to use the space in the kitchen, I just meant you weren't going to use it as a kitchen to prepare meals (other then reheating stuff). Its just a concept I have a hard time wrapping my head around. But you definitely have a clear vision of how you are going to use the space and that's great.

Here is a link that might be useful: paneled fridge thread

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

And then I found this article....I'm pretty sure you'll like what you see in here (link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Beverly Ellsley - fantasy kitchens

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Wow, craftlady. That faux bamboo kitchen is one of the most dreadful design abominations I have seen in a long time. Sometimes less is more, and sometimes what's best is none.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

craftlady, my dishes are (I think) way simpler than those blues. While I have a courrier and ives set that is similar to that, those are probably not going to be displayed in the china cab b/c I think it would be too much to have those up against the blue background. I have a set of lenox butterfly meadows and those are the ones I plan to display. Maybe that will make it seem less busy... or maybe not??

Butterfly meadows:
    {{!gwi}}

I've seen Beverly Elsley. While some of her stuff is pretty (I like the green mirrored fridge armoire) I think she takes it WAY further than I'd ever take it. She's more the "dripping with crystal" rather than the crystal chandelier. And marcolo, I agree that faux bamboo kitchen is AWFUL!! I'd get dizzy walking in to that if that was my house!!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

that makes sense beagles (re: Beverly taking it too far). And I think the meadows is a very pretty set. it should work out very nicely.

marcolo, I never said I liked her stuff. in fact, it's all too over the top for me.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Eh, that bamboo kitchen isn't so bad...it depends upon what kind of house it is in. It's not my taste but its executed in a manner that is at least consistent. The detail that bugs me is the clock.

If that's the worst kitchen you've seen, I need to send you the local city and county "lifestyle" magazines from around here. Over the top, inconsistent design styles and just vulgar to boot. At least the bamboo kitchen keeps a fairly strict Aesthetic Movement-Japonesque reference.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

I thought it was supposed to be Georgian chinoiserie? Yes, it's consistent. But sometimes consistency is the hobgoblin of projectile vomiting.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tough critic marcolo :) (although I happen to agree with you in this case!)

Hopefully however my kitchen turns out, it will be better than the bamboo one! What did you think about my mirror idea marcolo other than the possible weight issue? Be brutally honest... although I suspect you would anyway ;)

• marcolo
    13 years ago

I think it's hideously impractical. Not only is it a fingerprint magnet, but all those muntins or mullions or whatever the wooden doo-das are called, will form an effective and impenetrable defense against any attempts to clean it.

However, I'm actually less worried about the way it will look than others are. I actually think it might not be too busy at all, and also might help widen the room along its narrow length.

In general, mirrors are not there. I have a hugely tall mirror in my tiny bathroom which everyone though would be overwhelming, but of course it isn't, because it disappears. In your case, be careful what it reflects. I'm not convinced it will reflect the dishes unless you're standing in front of the china cabinet--remember, mirrors reflect at an angle, depending on where you're standing. Figure out where people are going to be spending the most time (clearly, not cooking, in your case!) and what reflections they will see.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree on impractical. But so is all glass, chandeliers that require dusting, copper pots that need to be polished continuously and counters you can't use. Impractical is the theme of the kitchen and I'm embracing it :)

Trying to figure out what it will reflect is a great idea! I expect most people who spend time in the kitchen will be doing so at the breakfast nook or island seats.

Maybe I can go over w/ a big mirror and have DF hold it and stand where the end appliance cab will be and see what I see in it from the breakfast nook and island seats, if I see the back wall or what. I wonder if that will work w/ the furniture in there... at least it will give me an idea.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

>The detail that bugs me is the clock.

That was my first reaction, too!

Otherwise I really didn't think it was all that bad, although that kind of bamboo molding makes me think of something very high-end/trendy from the 60s that's just been refinished, much more than Choiserie/Aesthetics Movement.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

I think it's hideously impractical. Not only is it a fingerprint magnet, but all those muntins or mullions or whatever the wooden doo-das are called, will form an effective and impenetrable defense against any attempts to clean it.

However, I'm actually less worried about the way it will look than others are. I actually think it might not be too busy at all, and also might help widen the room along its narrow length.

In general, mirrors are not there. I have a hugely tall mirror in my tiny bathroom which everyone though would be overwhelming, but of course it isn't, because it disappears. In your case, be careful what it reflects. I'm not convinced it will reflect the dishes unless you're standing in front of the china cabinet--remember, mirrors reflect at an angle, depending on where you're standing. Figure out where people are going to be spending the most time (clearly, not cooking, in your case!) and what reflections they will see.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I like the idea, in the context of this kitchen, of a mirrored front with muntins. I am using lightly antiqued mirror in my MBA. It was just installed today so no pics... but you can see it on line anyway. It can be quite subtle.

As far as the attractiveness of the ovens, i dont think there are any great wall ovens that evoke the feel you seem to be going for. Here's a monkey wrench -- ditch the wall ovens and change your layout to put in a freestanding french range. That would really work with the look you are going for.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks marcolo. I think I'll go over there w/ a big mirror and make DF stand where the appliance cabinet will go and I'll stand in the breakfast nook and see what is reflected because that is where most time will be spent, I think.

mtnrdredux- I originally wanted a range and I agree with you completely that it would look much better! I looked at the fratelli onofri in blue and was very, very close to buying it, but I didn't like the brass. And I think a lacanche (or even its cheaper friends) might be a bit of a waste in a kitchen where no one cooks.

In general, though, I didn't love the whole idea of the range w/ the low ovens either. Like I said, we do use the ovens to reheat b/c DF won't use the microwave or eat microwaved food. I don't want to bend down to get stuff in and out, and I really do not like the idea of a low-to-the-ground range with a really sniffy little doggy who sticks his snout everywhere. I'm afraid he'd get hurt when the range opened and I won't take any chances on that. And I know I'd have snouts pressed against oven glass and possibly paws scratching the door if he smelled something cooking (and being a beagle, of course, he'd always smell anything cooking!)

So, it is ovens for me. Plus, we already bought 'em (a 42 inch miele cooktop only b/c it was a floor model and we got it cheaper than most of the "low end" cooktops) and the floor model jenn-air ovens.

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

Just curious, are you at all worried about the dogs pressing their noses on the refrigerator mirrors?

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They mirrors are up higher than the pup's noses since there are drawers below. So, the only way they'd be able to do it is if they stood on their hind legs and balanced to press their noses up. I don't think they'll do that. They are pretty good about not balancing on the counters now (it's pretty cute, they stand a few inches off the counter and balance and jump like pogo-puppies when they want to see what is up there.)

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Hmmm, and here I thought you'd be interested in the blue armoire appearance of the fridge in this photo.

{{!gwi}}

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kitchendetective are the colors on our monitors really different? I don't see a blue armoire- I see blue and white tiles on the island and inside of the yellow door frame, but I see a green armoire?

That's the one thing I commented in my post to craftlady that I liked in those pictures (except I called it the green armoire!) I hate that white thing w/ the holes (and there is yet another clock... those must be the hallmark of her design style!) but I do really like the mirrors.

I would imagine the grout in the tiles on that island is pretty hard to keep clean though :)

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Well, that armoire is blue on my monitor and sort of a French blueish green on DH's monitor. The tiles are a more vivid cornflower. Not unusual for me to see colors--and even values-- quite differently on the two, so I have zero idea what it actually looks like. I thought you were referring to the deep teal green armoire in another photo when you mentioned "green."

• plllog
    13 years ago

But....WHAT THE HECK IS WITH THAT BEAM!!!!!??????!!!!!

It looks like a slasher movie victim with a hatchet in his head!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Haha- wow, that is frightening that there is such a difference in the way colors show on different monitors! (Especially since I just sent my sink person a closeup shot of my granite to try to match the color on the sink he is making me! Uh oh! I guess I need to send him a color sample in the mail to avoid problems!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

You are right, with a range you have to lay on the floor to baste a roast. In fact, when you said that it made me temporarily forget why i got a range this time. Now I remember .... i hate the noise of wall ovens! Try to insulate very well. They are very noisy!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Haha pllog I agree about that out-of-place beam in the beverly kitchen. You really have to think about that stuff when designing a room (especially if, you know, you are a designer!!)

Hmm. I never ever thought of a wall oven as noisy! Maybe b/c right now since I am not living w/ DF yet, I don't ever ever use it (microwave is so much easier to use to reheat!) I'll tell my cab maker/builder to insulate b/c I do not want a noisy oven!!