SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbmas0n

Too girly for a master bedroom?

kbmas0n
16 years ago

I fell in love with some bedding from Pottery Barn. It's on sale, and looks very fresh and pretty! I originally thought the colors were greens and reds and worried that the flowers were a bit too feminine for my DH. I got over that, but now reading the description...the colors are green and PINK. Um. Too much femininity? It looks like a very deep pink and frankly, I'm not sure DH will ever give it a second look.

What do you think? Too girly?

Comments (32)

• azmama2
    16 years ago

I've had the same problem with Pottery Barn bedding - I find something I like in the catalog, order it, and when it arrives, it looks completely different than in the catalog. I actually ordered this set from PB, thinking it was a deep red, but when I got it, it was PINK too.

And my husband said, "hell no!" LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Very pretty....do you have guest room to use it in? Remember if you repaint your room one of the darker colors in the spread, it will give the room a different look. White walls and the white bedskirt gives the airy feminine look, which is still elegant...painting the sage green or red will give the room a more sophisticated look. A green bedskirt might soften the foral.

• Related Discussions

Upstairs kids bedroom over master bedroom...big mistake?

Q

Comments (13)
    When we build, there won't be any rooms above our Master Bedroom. At the moment, my almost 13-year-old son and 3-year-old's room is over our Master Bedroom. My 8- and 10-year old's room is above the living room. Their bathroom is between their two rooms. When sleeping in, I can hear every single movement that my 13-year-old and 3-year do. There was carpet in the room which helps with the noise, but I hate carpet and put in wood flooring. If he drops something, I hear it. When he goes to the bathroom, I hear it. When all 4 of them are in one room, I can hear them. Just as this, I can hear every movement in my other boys' room when in the living room. They are very rambunctious and like to jump around. Another problem I have is that the pipe from their toilet/tub goes down the wall which is located between our living and kitchen/dining room. When they flush the toilet or let out their bath water, the pipe rattles in that wall. I know every time they use the bathroom and so do my guests. Most times it is rather embarrassing.
    ...See More

Master Bedroom Too Plain; Carpet Mistake?

Q

Comments (17)
    Susan - I have the black cabinet but we moved it across the room by the sliding barn door so it doesn't really relate to the other side of the room with the bed. It didn't have a great spot over by the bed anyway. I have been collecting art ideas for several weeks now with black to try to pull the black around around the room but our style is too much all over the place and none of the ones we like have anything to do with each other and I haven't hit exactly on the right proportions in terms of size/placement. I love this artist (Linda Tilman, who happens to live in my new city!) but I probably need to limit my mod dog art vs have it everywhere: I just can't seem to pick which side of the line I want to be on: just pick something and finish the room "good enough" vs. spend more time focusing on how to make it nice. In the meantime, we just live with half painted/half primed walls and standby furniture and now it's been a few years, even! It's not like we are kids just starting out, either.
    ...See More

Master bedroom headboard too big

Q

Comments (1)
    Curtain panels on rods and rings
    ...See More

Is my master bedroom too dark?

Q

Comments (16)
    I like it, however I think the loveseat at the foot of the bed doesn't work. it's a warm gray,,number 1, and 2, it's too large. this type of sofa works w/the bed. here's a dark gray wall room w/plenty of texture and prints, or what about one like this? notice the nightstands, pillows, bench and rug Your small light over the bed? seems too small. do you have any art? to go below it? everything in that room is solid. you need some print and some other color bigger night stands in a wood like your floor, or a white or a gray would be fine. like this. same color gray, but w/texture/pattern, warm wood, it comes to life I'd try a nice light, maybe some like these drapes over the smaller windows proper size for a bench. but notice the textures and prints in an otherwise very neutral room lastly, pillows, throws, linen, lighting, some mirrors, art, all in the same shade of grays.
    ...See More
  • funkyart
    16 years ago

I love this set too.. and I think it is a "handsome" floral... and not that you can downplay such a big floral but the medallions and green stripe do kind of temper it a bit. I have never completely bowed to the "no floral" rule when outfitting a bedroom that will be shared with a male-- but I've also never been married. I am sympathetic though as my 6 yo nephew told me that he will NOT sit on my "flower chair" ever. haha. I only get him to sleep in my spare bed with flower sheets by giving him a football quilt too.

I do think you can turn the room's femininity faucet up or down based on what you pair with the duvet. A piece of artwork with rich reds and greens that is not a floral would be a good start(even if it is a pink background-- which I also question).. curtains and rugs that are not overly feminine would work too. I would definitely give it a try.

• lionstail
    16 years ago

What color are your walls? It is a bit on the feminine side. Also what color is your furniture in your bedroom. Its beautiful bedding though!!

• annie1971
    16 years ago

Why don't you just ask your DH?

• Robbi D.
    16 years ago

If you stayed away from a frilly bed skirt and shams, I think that would tone down the femininity, too. Something more tailored like the white sham with green stripe that's in the picture?

• kbmas0n
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the responses! It's new construction, so I can choose any wall color I want. I was thinking of bringing out the green for the walls to "butch" it up a bit. I like the idea of a tailored bedskirt.

We don't have a bedroom set yet, just hand-me-downs. Our current headboard is a walnut color, which I think works with the bedding.

azmama - you mean that background is pink on the link you sent? I really looks red to me! Pictures are oh-so-deceiving!

lafonda - I will definitely order the white w/green trim shams and then one of the floral shams too, if I go this route. It gives it such a crisp feel.

annie - We don't have internet at home, but I ran by the idea for floral and he said, "whatever." And then this morning I realized it was pink.

*HERE IS ANOTHER OPTION* that fits with our taste and a little less feminine...

In Blue:

In Green:

• funkyart
    16 years ago

KB - I also like the songbirds one. It looks so fresh and crisp and springy. It also has a swedish feel to me (more so than the one they are selling as a swedish print).

I may do this in my spare room.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

If you love the first floral - why not give it a try.

Often times men are just oblivious to colors, anyways:)

It looks like BM Rosemary Sprig would be a great color for the bedding.

They reversible side is also not as feminine so you could switch as your mood changes.

Smiles:)

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

I have a theory about feminine MBR's. Do you want to hear it ;~) ????
    Although I can totally understand a guy not wanting a room with too many ruffles and froufrou in it. Or with dolls, teddy bears or other cutsey things propped up in there (shudder!), I totally beleve that men are more romantically inclined in a feminine room (Read Feminine Woman not feminine little girlish or cute). I really think that it makes them feel more masculine and (yes) romantic. I think the bedspread or whatever needs to be one that he can lie down on *in comfort* and without ticking you off. I think that tablescapes should be kept to a minimum, if at all, so he can put down his book or a glass or whatever. I think there should be good reading lights . . . that can be dimmed for a more romantic atmosphere when desired (I like three-way bulbs with a 15 watt setting). He needs a comfortable chair to sit in when he feel like it. I think that desks should be kept out of MBRs if at all possible, so that there are romantic, soft, restful things to look at instead of a stack of work or bills still to be taken care of. But, that said, I truly believe that a romantic room does "inspire" most men . . . and us, too, darn it! I mean, seriously, don't you feel more romantic in a room that makes you feel inspired? It doesn't have to be flowery or lacey, just more feminine for you. You ask men and they're going to balk at OK-ing a flowery comforter . . . so don't ask. Do the room. Add candles and surprise him. I did and it was VERY rewarding. Just say, "Oh Honey, I couldn't stop thinking about *** *** with you when I was planning this new bedroom for us. I wanted to make it very warm and romantic for us and I can't wait for us to test it out." His mind will immediately turn to the possibilities and not to griping. If you follow thru, I doubt he ever will gripe very much at all. Here's a couple pics of our MBR. I knew DH would gripe or veto, so I didn't ask . . . but I did inspire him . . . a lot ;~)
    {{gwi:1409068}}

{{!gwi}}
    {{gwi:1499187}}

• kbmas0n
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, lynne...TMI, but I love it :) You are right on. The more *I* want to be in the bedroom, the better for him! We have never had a *real* bedroom set. This is the first time for picking out anything for our very own bedroom! We are young and have lots of hand-me-downs, which include some amazing quilts, but they are more country-style. That's not our style and I just think it's time to make it our own.

But I am torn. I really love the songbird. It's so fresh and crisp and clean. But it almost seems *too* simple, as compared to the floral, which seems more lush and...pretty. :)

I could really go either way. Floral, songbird green or songbird blue. Time for some soul-searching.

• wodka
    16 years ago

gk5040, is the bedroom pic you posted one of yours? It's absolutely beautiful - I especially love the dark green walls, but it all looks so comfortable and inviting.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

I definitely hope that I don't offend anyone here, though. I was just thinking that we're probably 99% female on this site and all big girls now. I'm glad it made you smile ;~)

• kbmas0n
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh no! You didn't offend. Not a bit! I was being cheeky :)

I looked on ebay to see if I could find it cheaper. I didn't...but here is what I did find. It looks SUPER pink here. I just think it might be because it's showing JUST that stripe, which really plays up the pink.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

(Whew!) I'm glad you're ok with it, as I was coming back here to delete and rewrite it! I love the comforter. I think GKs suggestion to paint the room a soft sage green would be gorgeous and add a sophisticated, romantic look, although cream would work and give you a more Cottage-y Romantic look, which is also nice. I do think red walls would be too much red, though. You could use a striped, small plaid, white or sage green bedskirt with this comforter. Oooooh, I'd love to create a bedroom using that comforter myself! Too bad I only have one guest room and our MBR is already done.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Lynn, didn't sound riske to me either :) I really just wanted to say how much I love your mbr!! and what a great, unique space. Is that a tile or brick floor? If it's brick, how do you like it? Beautiful job!!

• gk5040
    16 years ago

Thank you Wodka, that was our master bedroom in our previous home. Its from the old SW color deck... Olive Drab. I loved it so much it is in this home in my husbands office. Master is now painted old SW Dromedary Camel (I picked up on the golden brown tones this time). I made the bedskirt, I didnt buy the Waverly matching one. I found a remnant so I didnt have enough to make pillows. It was in the plans and never happened...that was 4 years ago...almost time for a change. I was hoping KBMas would notice when you change the wall color and accessories, you can change the mood of the fabric. I have a floral and it doesnt look one bit girly.

• kbmas0n
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for all of your responses! I am going with the pink floral! It will make me happy every time I walk into the bedroom...which is good for DH too!;)

• lkplatow
    16 years ago

kbmas - I like the bedding you picked but I am in LOVE with the lamps in the other two pics you posted (the blue and green bedding). Are they from pottery barn too? If not, where is that picture from? I must have those lamps!

• tinam61
    16 years ago

Lynne - I love your bedroom and I agree - it IS nice to have a nice romantic place.

kbmas0n - I love the bedding. I think you can make the room look not *too* feminine, plus I think the bedroom is a room where you can get away with that. LOL

We use a dark aqua matellese coverlet with a floral comforter at the end of the bed. I use shams to match both and my window treatment is the flora. The floral is a tea-stained barkcloth, with a light rose floral and aqua in the print also. My hubby has never minded.

Be sure and share pics when the room is done!

tina

• kbmas0n
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lkpatow - I have no idea where the lamps are from, but I agree...they are great! The picture is from Pottery Barn, so maybe they sell them too. I'l check and if so, I'll post again!

tinam61 - i will defintiely post pictures, but it will be awhile! They started mudding and taping yesterday, so it will be weeks and MONTHS before everything is ready for us to move in.

Thanks, everybody!

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Thanks for the comps on my MBR. Squirrelheaven, the floors are brick and we love them. The entire house has brick floors and we even extended the same flooring (with a different sealer) onto three of the patios to tie them all in.
    Kbmas, don't forget to show us pics of the room when it's finally finished.

• creekylis
    16 years ago

gk5040... I have that same comforter! I have dark green walls, olive green harlequin patterned sheets, and a gold tone-on-tone striped bedskirt. I used all jewel tones in the room which seemed to make dh very happy with it. He has never once balked at the floral bed, valances, or artwork -- he loves the dark colors!

• creekylis
    16 years ago

Here are a few pics of my room. It was almost done in these... I replaced the white blinds with bamboo rollup shades and changed a few other little things. We inherited this carpet from the PO and I really wanted to try to work with the 90's hunter green band around the room. I think the slightly more olivey-green walls, combined with all of the natural greens in the bedding and art, did a nice job of updating the feel of the carpet. It doesn't bother me at all now. (P.S. I really think the room looks more pulled together and warm in real life, but you get the gist.)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• ttodd
    16 years ago

Frankly I love it & think that the femininity (?) of it is downplayed w/ the stripes. I should say that I love it if it is actually that deep red as shown in the pic. That is a stunning color combo.

• kbmas0n
    Original Author
    16 years ago

creeky - I really like what you've done! And I think you're right...it really does update the carpet.

ttodd - I wish it WAS a deep red, but it is actually a deep pink. Otherwise, I wouldn't have any issues with the floral.

• kbmas0n
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lkplatow - I found the lamps for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps for lkplatow

• funkyart
    16 years ago

Close-- but actually the lamps pictured above are slightly different. I recognized the slight difference because I am getting the floor lamp for my office. The shape of the Wyatt lamp is unusual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Correct link for lkplatow

• annie1971
    16 years ago

Well, I've read (verified with men friends -- MY husband is color blind) that when polled, men say they like pink. If you ask them directly, however, they'll probably not admit to liking pink. I think there is something about the color that appeals to men in general but maybe they aren't willing to explain it. I think lynninnmexico ??? (why can't we all just have bonnie, sue, or bob names) got it right. I truly have never thought about a master bedroom in that way before. Makes me want to rethink ours.
    Our last house had draperies, bed skirt and roman shade in black background fabric with pink and ivory cabbage flower pattern. It was dramatic, slightly heavy which appealed to the masculine, and the flower pattern appealed to to the feminine. We both loved it.

• anele_gw
    16 years ago

Pink used to be "the" color for boys, blue was for girls.

My DH does not care what the MB looks like, but I have a PB set that is blue with cabbage roses. Feminine, but not over the top.

If DH doesn't care, get what you like!

Gorgeous rooms, everyone!!!!

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

Too funny, Annie! My name here is Lynn . . .in New Mexico, as opposed to Florida or California or NJ. I like being called plain old *Lynn*, though ;~P

• susancnw
    16 years ago

I'll be redoing our mbr this summer. I'm taking back the antique rolled steel bedframe that middle son has. It is for a full bed and we have a queen, but I measured and it will stick out 6" on each side, so it will work. I can't wait. We have a couple of quilts that I will use on it, a couple of throws for cooler weather. I have a painted white table that I used for a bedside table and hubby has an old one. When we buy next year or so, he'll build us a new bed furniture and tables(he's a cabinetmaker). I want a more cottage-y master bedroom. I can pretty much do what I want in there, but I do want to make more tailored bedskirt and some tailored pillows, then the rest will be ruffled and floral. He told me that anything is okay, but with the wood furniture (probably Mission style) so that will set each other off nicely I believe. I do not want to go with too much tailored stuff in there as it might go with the mission style, but I don't want too much of it.(Make sense--I'm tired!)