SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

Can dogs be obsessive compulsive?

elphaba_gw
16 years ago

We have two wonderful German Shepherds, female and male, Ginger and Spooky, both around 12.

Ginger is doing poorly with degenerative myelopathy (DM) (losing control of hind legs, hence problems moving freely up and downstairs, etc.)

But reason I'm posting is not because of the degenerative myelopathy though I welcome comments or advice on this apparently incurable disease.

I'm posting because Ginger is rubbing her face very often (though not costantly) on any chair or bed or rug that is handy. She has had problem with allergies. We had her tested. Nothing conclusive. We tried prednisone but turns out that is not good for dogs with DM.

I've got her on Benadryl which seems to help with her skin (along with the Borage oil I'm giving her).

But there is something about the way she rubs her face and when she rubs her face that I'm beginning to believe she is doing it almost as a nervous habit, something that may have felt good a while ago but now she just does it as a repetitive preoccupation, kind of in an obsessive compulsive way. Am I getting too psychological? Any thoughts?

Comments (4)