SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

how to divide pond lilies? my obsession with ..

vieja_gw
16 years ago

The pond lilies I had sunk in a barrel in the garage for winter are now ready to go back into the pond, but...

the roots/?new shoots are growing out in all directions & are huge! Way too big for my small pond so I was wondering how to divide them? Cut the plant apart or break it apart?

Also, I've learned from this forum that my 'ideal crystal clear' pond water is just an unnatural dream! Ok, right now the horrible string algae has stopped growing so much & what is left I scoop out with the toilet brush that someone on this forum recommended ... works great! I can see the fish now though not real clearly as the water is still greenish looking. I want so much (!) to drain the pond,scrape down the junk on the sides & bottom & start over with lovely, clear water again ... how can I make myself resist this 'no-no'compulsion?!! I know if I do so, it will not be long before the 'green stuff' comes back again, 'au natural' as it always has done in the past! Can't get duckweed to grow much on the pond surface like others say they do & even call it a 'weed' ... my fish eating it? I see these photos of koi ponds on different sites that are 'crystal clear' & I'm so jealous! I do have batting & pump pre filters as well as starting up the skippy filter again (shut down when temps got to freezing.)Bet you 'professional' ponders get tired of all of us complaining about our 'green water'algae' problem?!

Comments (5)