SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floryhawk2

straw mulch; I'm usually not compulsive, but....

15 years ago

Once in a while I become obsessed with something, and then I must look and look until I find an answer that I'm happy with.

Here's my quandry. I hate wood mulches and rock mulches and plastic landscape materials of all kinds. I mean I really, really do not like them. I cannot tell you how many times I've been frustrated trying to work up a bed with wood chips in it or rock in it, or plastic sheeting under wood chips or rock. It makes me so frustrated. Plus, It doesn't seem like my plants are very healthy in these environments... too acidic? AND, we definitely are fighting a termite problem.

However, I am a busy person, who doesn't always make it to the garden for weeding when I should. So, I need the functionality of mulching, but I don't like the above options.

A couple of years ago, I found the perfect solution for me; Straw. Not hay (with the weed seeds in it.), but beautiful golden straw. It breaks down just in time. The dirt under it is beautiful, it squelches the weeds, it's easy to haul and handle and lay down, and it seems (?) less acidic than it's wood counterparts. I even grew to love the golden glow of the perennial bed in the side yard. It was my most happy gardening year ever. I'm not exaggerating.

Fast forward to this year. My husband, who has a MUCH more tailored, finished view of what our front yard should look like, wants to redo the beds in front. I am very happy to participate in this, but I know he won't go for the yellow straw look all over the front yard.

The question is, can I dye my straw? I'm seeing some much dyes here:https://www.pinestrawdirect.com/mulch-dye.html, and it looks like they can be used with pine straw.

I am really hoping I can try this on regular straw. I don't like the red mulched look, but a black dye would do the trick I think.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks!

Barb

Comments (8)