SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trsinc

Broccoli as a side

trsinc
15 years ago

What are your favorite ways to serve it? I only serve it with cheese sauce. I've tried it baked with parmesan and bread crumbs or something like that - hated it. I like it in pasta dishes that have a cheesy sauce, of course, and that's about it. Sometimes I like it in a stir fry (at restaurants) sometimes not. Just butter is ok but I don't get excited about it.

So, how do you serve and or dress yours? I'm feeling guilty about all the cheese in my life.

Comments (22)

• sushipup1
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I usually steam it (less than 10 minutes) and add a small bit of butter (or buttery stuff) and some lemon juice. Alternate topping is a little mayo thinned with lemon juice. Lemon goes well with broccoli.

• caliloo
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a whole thread of recipes from back in '03 that I refer to quite often..... I will let you pick and choose from here.......

Alexa

What is your favorite way to prepare....... BROCCOLI?
    Posted by caliloo (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 15:55
    Hi All
    First of all I wanted to thank all the people who responded to my previous post regarding sea scallop recipes. They all sound fantastic and I am certainly able to expand my repetoir now!
    I would now like everyones favorite broccoli recipes. DH, DS #2 and I all love broccoli and we would all welcome any ideas you all have. I have a few T&T I like but we are always up for new ideas.
    So, if you would be so kind to share.....
    Thanks in Advance!
    Alexa
    Follow-Up Postings:
    RE: What is your favorite way to prepare....... BROCCOLI?
    Posted by: Ruthanna (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 16:01
    I enjoy it steamed with this sauce poured over it:
    RIPE OLIVE SAUCE
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/ 4 cup olive oil
    1/ 2 cup finely chopped, pitted black olives
    1 or 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    1/ 2 tsp. salt
    1/ 4 tsp.pepper
    Saute garlic in small saucepan over medium-low heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Do not let it brown. Add remaining ingredients and cook 1 or 2 minutes to heat olives. Pour over steamed fresh vegetables.
    Â Posted by: MQmoi (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 16:03
    Alexa, I like broccoli this way and in fact, I serve it with the Asian drumstick recipe I justed posted to your other thread.
    3 easy ingredients:
    Fresh ginger
    Fresh garlic
    Toasted sesame oil
    For steamed broccoli, I put grated ginger and grated garlic in the water. Don't use a steam basket. Cook, drain and drizzle with toasted sesame oil. This is really simple and tasty.
    Â Posted by: woodie2 (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 16:27
    Brown butter drizzled over - just delicious. Maybe a little lemon juice added, but not necessarily.
    Â Posted by: DanaIN (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 16:28
    Broccoli is my favorite green vegetable and I think the best way with broccoli is to roast it. Toss with EVOO, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 425 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes turning half way thru. I cook it this way when I'm serving it with a cheese sauce also because isn't water prepared this way. I also prepare it like this when adding to recipes.
    I also like it sauteed in a skillet with EVOO and butter.
    With either of the two methods it's wonderful cooked with carrot sticks, colored bell peppers, mushrooms, and/or frozen corn.
    Mix with garlic and cooked pasta of any shape and if you want add a cheese sauce.
    Marilyn
    Â Posted by: caliloo (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 16:38
    Woodie - for the broccoli & gin, I use Tanqueray. This is carried over from my Asian Shrimp thread....
    I mix equal parts soy and gin (about a shot of each) add 1/2 tsp sugar and 1/4 cup water. Saute the broccoli for 3 minutes, add a bunch of scallions cut on an angle into 1 inch pieces, saute for 2 min longer. Pour on the sauce and cover for 2 min. Serve.
    Alexa
    Alexa
    Â Posted by: jessiecarole (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 16:41
    the florets are good very lightly steamed as a side, but my favorite part is the stalk. Peel, slice and steam and eat with garlic butter. They taste like artichoke hearts to me. They are good as a pizza topping and as an addition to potato soup.
    jc
    Â Posted by: browntoestoo (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 16:43
    Don't go messin' with my broccoli! I like it steamed al dente and drizzled with unsalted melted butter.
    E
    gin
    Â Posted by: woodie2 (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 16:44
    Alexa, I thought you meant ginger when I read that :) I thought I was being funny, haha on me!
    Â Posted by: annie1992 (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 16:47
    I like it in a raw salad:
    1 head broccoli florets, cut bite sized
    1 head cauliflower florets, cut bite sized
    1/2 cup sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/4 cup crisp bacon, crumbled
    1 cup mayonnaise
    2 tbls sugar
    vinegar or sweet pickle juice for thinning dressing
    Toss veggies, seeds, raisins and bacon in a large bowl. Mix mayo, sugar and enough vinegar or pickle juice to make a pourable dressing. Pour dressing over veggies and toss to coat. This gets better if you let it sit overnight for the flavors to mellow.
    Annie
    Â Posted by: Cindy_5ny (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 16:49
    We like it steamed and served with cheese sauce. This is a recipe from San, and it has become one of our favorites.
    Cindy
    Posted by San:
    Cheese Fondue Sauce (perfect on top of steamed broccoli or cauliflower)
    Melt in a double boiler:
    ¾ C milk
    ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
    ¼ tsp dry mustard
    a grinding or 2 of black pepper
    1 C mayonnaise
    2 C (or ¾#) shredded cheddar
    Â Posted by: weed30 (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 17:13
    Sometimes I take the florets and slice them up so they will sit flat in the pan and saute them in a little olive oil. This takes awhile because I don't steam them first, but the length of time it takes to get them tender ends up browning them a bit. I finish by tossing them with a little butter and Cavender's Greek Seasoning. (I'm addicted to that stuff!)
    Â Posted by: MQmoi (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 17:23
    jc, same here except I liken them to asparagus. Artichoke works for me too. :)
    For those of you who cook the stalks...you strip the peel off first don't you? I am rather obsessive about this.
    Â Posted by: leeslines (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 18:37
    Steamed with Hollandaise sauce over it is my favorite (Hollandaise on anything is actualy my favorite ! )
    Battered and fried and served with Ranch dressing for dipping
    Steamed with butter, cheddar cheese, salt & FGBP
    I have already copied and saved the recipe's for the Ripe Olive Sauce and the Cheese Fondue Sauce, Thank You to Ruthanna and Cindy :>
    Lee
    Â Posted by: Ann_T (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 18:44
    I love broccoli. Preferred it steamed with just butter. I also like to make Chicken Divan occasionally. No specific recipe. Here is a basic outline.

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table - Poultry
    Chicken Divan
    =============
    Steam broccoli until almost tender
    Poach chicken breasts in some broth
    that is seasoned with a whole garlic
    clove
    and some pepper corns. When cooked
    remove chicken from broth and remove
    any
    bones. Strain Broth
    Make a roux with 2 tablespoons of
    butter and 2 tablespoons flour. Cook
    for 3
    to 5 minutes but do not let brown
    Add ½ cup dry white wine and 1 ½ cups
    reserved chicken broth. Add ½ cup or
    more of fresh grated parmesan cheese
    Season with salt and pepper
    Reserve ¾ cup of sauce and blend the
    chicken and broccoli with the
    remaining
    sauce. Pour into a casserole dish
    and top with remaining sauces
    Sprinkle
    with more parmesan and bake in a
    350 oven until hot and starting to
    turn
    golden.
    Â Posted by: caliloo (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 19:04
    Great recipes all! I can't wait to try all of them!
    Thanks and keep them coming!
    Alexa
    Â Posted by: Roger_z7 (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 19:21
    I like mine steamed al dente, salted, peppered and drizzled with butter. Broccoli is my favorite vegetable and I can never get enough of that wonderful stuff........as long as I am eating the florets.
    Â Posted by: Canarybird (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 19:31
    Roger I'm another one who does it in the steamer with just s & p and melted butter. Sometimes mixed with steamed carrots with a cheese sauce but mostly just plain.
    SharonCb
    Â Posted by: TRACEYS (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 19:53
    This is one of my favorites. I also like broccoli steamed without anything on it. My son likes it that way too.
    Tracey
    Broccoli Oreganato
    10 Cups Of Broccoli Florets (About 2 Heads)
    1/2 Cup Finely Chopped Onions
    6 Tablespoons Butter
    3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard(used mild & creamy dijon)
    2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
    1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
    Salt And Pepper
    1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
    1 Cup Bread Crumbs(used panko)
    1 Cup Heavy Cream(used more)
    Cook the broccoli in boiling salted water until tender crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
    Heat 4 tablespoons of butter in a frying pan, and once bubbling add the onion and garlic. Cook until tender. Add the mustard, and mix well. Add the bread crumbs, and stir well to combine. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano. Cook just until the crumbs begin to brown. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature. Once cool, stir in 3/4 cup of the grated parmesan cheese and the last 2 tablespoons of the butter.
    To assemble, place the broccoli in an ovenproof casserole dish. Add the cream, and remaining cheese, and mix well. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the broccoli. Cover with foil, and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F., and bake uncovered for 30 minutes, or until heated through and lightly browned.
    Serve.Buon Appetito!
    Deborah Mele 2002
    Â Posted by: ColleenOZ (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 20:21
    I usually just steam it too. Sometimes if I'm making a cheese sauce for cauliflower I'll put some on the broccoli as well or even just some shredded cheese left to melt on the hot broccoli. Otherwise in Chicken Divan.
    Â Posted by: LoriJean44 (My Page) on Thu, May 8, 03 at 22:46
    My favorite way to fix broccoli: I nuke it for a minute or two, then finish it off by sauteing it in a little EVOO and thinly sliced garlic.
    Lori
    Â Posted by: MQmoi (My Page) on Fri, May 9, 03 at 9:22
    This spread is good for a vegetarian sandwich.
    Broccoli Cheddar Spread
    Steam broccoli, cut into small pieces
    Grated carrot
    Diced onion
    Grated cheddar cheese
    Fresh garlic
    Mayonnaise
    Lemon juice
    Just combine and voila.
    Â Posted by: Roselin32 (My Page) on Fri, May 9, 03 at 20:25
    Broccoli with shrimp sauce.
    RL
    Â Posted by: Ginger_St_Thomas (My Page) on Fri, May 9, 03 at 20:58
    Could you share the recipe, Roselin?
    STIR-FRIED BROCCOLI & MUSHROOMS (serves 6-8)
    2 lbs broccoli
    2 large cloves garlic, cut into halves
    1/4 cup olive oil
    12 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced (any type you like)
    4-5 TBL sunflower kernels, lightly toasted
    3/4 tsp seasoned salt
    Pepper to taste
    1 TBL grated asiago cheese
    Cut the florets from the stems. Cut the florets into bite-sized pieces. Cut the stems horizontally into halves. Slice the halves into 1 1/2" strips.
    Saute the garlic in the olive oil in askillet over medium heat until golden but not burnt. Discard the garlic. Add the broccoli strips.
    Saute 4-5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Add the florets & mix well.
    Saute 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms & sunflower kernels. Saute 2 minutes. Add the seasoned salt & pepper & mix well. Sprinkle w/the cheese & serve immediately.~~
    Â Posted by: san_ (My Page) on Fri, May 9, 03 at 23:58
    i'm glad you like the sauce, cindy. it is one of my very favorite veggies (even if it's not ted's). the way we serve it most often is just steamed and then drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice. we also will mix mayo and mustard (a couple tablespoons to one tablespooon or so--can obviously be made tangier if you wish). reading your question makes me remember i have a tube of wasubi paste in the fridge. i wonder what would happen if you mixed a little of that in with mayo or sour cream? especially if you roasted the brocolli first?? might have to check that one out...
    Â Posted by: jessiecarole (My Page) on Sat, May 10, 03 at 9:43
    forgot one of my favorites! broccoli slaw
    (which the pkg says is made with "hearts of broccoli" LOL a nice euphemism for stems).
    this is a quick bagged salad treat when it has a good sell by date. I eat half as salad and stir fry or steam the rest. (doesnt keep)

roger....have you ever tried the "hearts"?
    jc
    Â Posted by: Dragonfly2 (My Page) on Sun, May 11, 03 at 11:15
    Caliloo, I have a question about the gin/soy sauce, do you heat that prior to pouring it over the Broccoli? Sounds interesing.. of course I will pour some of the gin ( unheated) into my Martini as well.
    Â Posted by: Roger_z7 (My Page) on Sun, May 11, 03 at 11:32
    Yes jc, BUT............
    My DW and I are by broccoli like Jack Spratt and his DW were about meat -- Roger could eat no hearts, his wife could eat no florets, so between them both, the brocolli always got et.
    Â Posted by: jessiecarole (My Page) on Sun, May 11, 03 at 11:42
    ahhh...and so betwixt you both, I see, you lick the platter clean!
    jc
    Â Posted by: caliloo (My Page) on Sun, May 11, 03 at 17:16
    dragonfly - no I don't heat it first. Pouring it into a hot saute pan that has the veggies in it heats it rather quickly.
    Let me know how you like it!
    Alexa
    Â Posted by: Cindy_Mac (My Page) on Sun, May 11, 03 at 20:37
    Marilyn didn't mention this, but I will since it just got rave reviews on the Recipe Exchange.
    Here is a link that might be useful: Marilyn's Broccoli Soup (with photo)
    Â Posted by: Teri2 (My Page) on Sun, May 11, 03 at 23:16
    I also like it best just steamed and served with butter, lemon, s&p. But I have to smile at the number of posters who claim it as their favorite vegetable. Growing up in the 40s and 50s, corn was everyone's favorite vegetable; broccoli was considered to be an "acquired taste" and most of us had no desire to acquire it. LOL!
    As it eventually made its way onto mainstream tables even I acquired a taste for it. All of it; the whole thing. It's only been in the last 15 years or so that most broccoli is served as florets. Goodness, what a waste! The stalk has a different texture but the flavor is the same. Well, almost. Actually I think it's a little milder. Here's a way to use up the tender part of the stalk.
    MARINATED BROCCOLI SALAD
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 t salt
    2 T red wine vinegar
    1/3 c olive oil
    1/4 c sesame oil
    2 t hot pepper flakes
    chopped broccoli stems
    Steep the pepper flakes in the sesame oil. Remove flakes and whisk together the oils, vinegar, salt and garlic. Marinate chopped broccoli in dressing for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
    Source: Loaves & Fishes - Pump
    Teri
    Â Posted by: Ann_T (My Page) on Mon, May 12, 03 at 9:48
    Teri, Even as a young child in the 50's I loved Broccoli and would often eat a whole head of it all by myself. Lots of butter and salt and pepper. Still a favourite. The same went for Asparagus. Could never get enough of it.
    I usually peel the stems of broccoli and slice and steam them along with the florets. As you mentioned, they are more tender and have the same flavour. I never understood why anyone would throw them away either.

Ann
    Â Posted by: kframe19 (My Page) on Mon, May 12, 03 at 13:38
    Break into individual florets and stalks.
    Lightly pack into garbage disposal.
    Gently whirl until done. :-)
    Actually, I like it steamed with Chinese oyster sauce over rice.
    Haven't had it that way in some time. I need to get a bottle of oyster sauce...
    Â Posted by: Ann_T (My Page) on Mon, May 12, 03 at 15:32
    That's funny Kframe, because that would be my preferred way to prepare carrots and parsnips. LOL
    Ann
    Â Posted by: Elisabeth_pinelake (My Page) on Tue, May 13, 03 at 15:53
    I peel the stalks, slice them, slice carrots, and steam or saute or stir fry them together, then toss with a little butter or olive oil, S&P. I use some garlic at the cooking stage if it's just for me, or if my guests can stand it (unfortunately for me, who love all kinds of spicy ethnic foods, my friends here in Atlanta are not very adventurous and some can no longer eat anything with garlic. sigh, so dull sometimes)