SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

My cat, Holiday, is really breaking my heart ...

estreya
16 years ago

Hi, you guys. When i first introduced my cat Holiday to you all, i was having a terrible problem with her territory marking the corners of two rooms. Now, i wish i could turn back the clock and have that as my only concern.

Her back legs are really starting to give way. I wouldn't say she's completely lame, because she's still moving about and even jumping up on chairs (although i don't see her on the beds as often, so those must be too high for her manage some days). At times, she sort of pivots on her back legs. She doesn't seem to be in any pain at all, in spite of her awkward gait. When i pet her, she winds around me and bucks me with her head just like she always has, entirely undaunted by the lack of power in her rear legs ...

I took her to the vet. Her blood work was "excellent for a cat her age." He prescribed steroids (pregnezone, though i may be spelling that wrong), which i've been giving her regularly. Advance time by four weeks, and although some days she seems better, she still clearly has a problem.

It's just breaking my heart, you guys.

Ironically enough, she's not peeing in the corners as much anymore (that is to say she's only done it once in the past several weeks). But i'd rather have that problem than this problem i have now.

I keep trying to think if there's anything i've done, anything i might have exposed her to to cause this problem. I'm coming up blank ...

I'm not really looking for solutions or anything. I guess i just needed to tell this story to other pet lovers, because i knew you would all understand.

I've never seen a cat age before. In the house i grew up in, our cats were indoor/outdoor, and inevitably, the cats of my childhood would just "disappear one day." Hit by cars, i'm guessing, cause they were always fixed. But Holiday's an indoor cat, and she's been family for nearly two decades. Well, seventeen years, anyway. I can't imagine my adult life without her ...

OK that's all for now ...

Thanks for "listening."

Comments (8)