SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattioh_gw

My heart is breaking . . .

PattiOH
15 years ago

My sweet, loving, scamp of a cat, "Dickens", has died.

He was 17. A dear little love-bug who would rather cuddle than eat.

I will miss him soooooooo much.

Patti

Comments (32)

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Patti, I am very sorry to hear this. You are very good pet owner to have your kitty live so long. When the time is right you will let another into your heart and smile and laugh again.

Sierra

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

My heart is breaking for you. Oh dear Patti, I know what your feeling. I lost my Tomato a few months back. I wish I could give you a hug and cry with you.

Edna

• Related Discussions

Rose gall...I need advice...my heart is breaking

Q

Comments (16)
    Right now, you might want to plant massed species Marigolds in that spot, They're supposed to suppress the nematode populations that seem to be related to the ingress of A. tumefaciens into woody plants. Calendula is another nematode supressant. Jeri, I'm not sure about Carolina Lady. I've also read that it's very close to The Fairy, but I just don't see it being that close. LC seems to bloom a lot earlier and longer. I've got two huge ones (LC) on the fence line and so far haven't seen any gall problems with either. I think that there may be a systemic problem with a lot of The Fairys but the massed ones I had in New Orleans could live and bloom with it; now they've been replaced with a palm tree and azaleas. Once upon a time, rootstocks were chosen for their resistance to crown gall.
    ...See More

My heart is breaking

Q

Comments (19)
    Hopetheylive, sorry for your troubles. I'm emotionally invested in my plants as well. Yesterday I decided to leave one large beautiful almost dead ripe tomato on the vine for just one more day, since the birds had left them alone so far this year. This morning I checked on it and found a bird had "sampled" it. Grrrr.... We have lots of Cardinals here and when I see one of them near a tomato plant I know to go quickly looking for hornworms. Cardinals are mostly beneficial seems to me. Now if I see Mockingbirds hanging out around the tomatoes, I'm sure to find pecked fruit. Beverly, I'd love to know if the red Christmas ornament trick works. Maybe you can post later this year and let us know.
    ...See More

My heart is breaking

Q

Comments (35)
    My heart feels for you so much, Cam! The joy and love our furkids bring to us is immeasurable and such a blessing. I know in my heart of hearts that they'll be there to greet us when we pass over ourselves someday. Until then, they'll be having lots of fun while they wait. Hold on to the knowledge that you gave your sweet darlin a wonderful life filled with happiness and love. All pets should be so blessed! What goes around, comes around and I have no doubts that you'll be together one day again. Until then, sending you lots of hugs. Lynn
    ...See More

My heart is breaking

Q

Comments (50)
    All of you have been so kind - thank you from our family. My heart breaks for each of you that have lost a fur baby. Harley was such a part of all of us. When Gary was dying of pancreatic cancer, Harley would not leave his side - I had to drag him outdoors to take care of his business. He didn't eat for a week - just laid by our bedroom door and kept guard. Harley arrived in our lives on Christmas day, 1998, weighing 6 pounds - he grew to 75 pounds at one point, but as he aged, he dropped to 56 pounds. He was a big ball of fur and love!
    ...See More
  • aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Patti I feel your pain, we lost our precious little Breeze last month she was also 17, our pets come to mean so much to us, they will always have a place in our hearts. Sierra is right, when the time is right a new kitten although it will never take Dickens place will squirm it's way into your heart and bring back the laughter and joy. There are so many of these little treasures out there needing loving homes I'm sure there's one just waiting for you. (((Hugs)))

Annette

• thinman
    15 years ago

Patti, I'm so sorry about Dickens. I've always thought that he had a perfect name for a scampy but lovable cat. It's amazing how we get sooooo attached to those rascally little critters.

Good-bye, Dickens. I'll bet you had a wonderful life.

ThinMan

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

That is so sad! I am sorry to hear that you have lost your little "Dickens". It is so hard to lose them. You had him for a long time and I am sure he had a wonderful life.
    gg

• zigzag
    15 years ago

My sincere condolences, Pattioh - It's so hard to lose a beloved pet.

When I lost my beloved Ziggy, best advice I got was from a friend who'd lost her dog and 'mourned' for over a year before getting another. She told me to get out there and find 'another Zig' asap - not to wait. Nothing heals like having another furry critter underfoot. She was right and while there won't be another Zig or Dickens, it would be a travesty for you to put all your love 'on hold' - share it!

Stay strong and when you're ready, think about finding another cat to love and cherish (or letting him/her find you!) - a win-win for both you and the cat!

• User
    15 years ago

I am so sorry patti. I too understand the loss of a pet that has been with you so long. I hope your happy memories of all the wonderful years you had together will comfort you. c

• Eduarda
    15 years ago

Oh Patti, I'm so sorry to hear about Dickens! We get so attached to our pets and they become family members, so our hearts break when they depart. I bet he had a wonderful pampered life with you and you will always remember him fondly. Are you planning a little memorial for him in your garden?

Big hugs
    Eduarda

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

((((Patti)))) ~ So sorry to hear about the loss of your dear Dickens.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

How very sad, to lose your pet.
    I hope you're comforted by the many good memories of Dickens.
    I hope you're also comforted by the empathy of those of us who have also lost beloved pets.

Nell

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, dear friends!
    Thinking back on my day, it's interesting to me that I chose to come here to the Cottage FIRST, with my sorrow. I guess I had a big hurt and I knew you would all try to "make it better", and you did. Thank you.

Eduarda, I'm planning to plant a forthysia bush in memory of Dicky in the spring. He was totally an indoor cat and he loved to chew up plants of all sorts, including fake ones. I had a silk arrangement of forthysia and pussywillows that he adored. I would get irritated with him every spring when he would start pulling off the blossoms and chewing on them. This year I decided to give it to him to enjoy. It really was his favorite thing right up to the end.

Yes, Nell, I AM comforted!
    Most of us have had this sad experience and I think once in a while we need a big GROUP HUG for the loss of Tomato and Breeze and Ziggy and Dickens and all the other beloved pets that we have loved so well.

Hugs to you all,
    Patti

• plantmaven
    15 years ago

The loss of a pet is always so sad. This is always the place to come for comfort of any sort.

Kathy

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

"He was totally an indoor cat and he loved to chew up plants of all sorts, including fake ones." ... that is too precious *LOL*

We're all animal suckers in here, Patti.

I have two really rotten cats, do you want them? I'll send them FedX overnight!

I have rats - so I rescued two cats hoping they could help. Well ... Fergus (I think is half Siamese) was sitting on the fence, in the back yard, a rat runs by him and over his paws. Fergus hadn't a clue! He didn't see nothing! I was watching him and just shook my head. His new name is stupid cat.

Then I have Angus (a cat with no tail) he thinks he can hunt squirrels. Yesterday the squirrel was in my front yard trying to squeeze his head in the suet feeder cage. Angus was hunting him and the squirrel just about made mince meat of of him.

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

• BecR
    15 years ago

Hi Patti, so sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet kitty Dickens.
    Hugs,
    Becky

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Patti, I am so sorry about Dickens. He surely had a long and wonderful life with you.

• plantlady999
    15 years ago

Patti, sorry to hear about your loss.

Sue

• slubberdegulion
    15 years ago

So sorry to read of your loss. A friend of mine just lost her cat Lila to cancer this week. We're lucky to still have our tiny little Himalayan, China, who had a long spell of bad (expensive, always ALWAYS overnight emergency vet visits and one long drive to Blacksburg with her howling...ugh) health last year. Last night she expressed her opinion of a hat Johnny made for me. It sort of needed washing anyway since it's cotton and it's just a tad big. I assume cat puke will come out.

She's only a 5 lb cat, but the only thing she dislikes more than dishes being put away (?? maybe the sound of it??, I try to do my best not to clean so her sensibilities aren't offended) is the hens. Two of the hens have it out for her and she acts like a ninja cat scampering around outside.

We switched furniture around downstairs because of the new floors (another story) and she just recently forgave us.

I could flip the house upside down and the hens wouldn't bat a lash. So, I highly recommend a hen when you consider a new pet.

Cyber hugs,
    kent

• mora
    15 years ago

Oh Patti, its so hard to say that final good bye. I still miss my little "Hobo" who came into our lives when my (then)husband thought he hit something with our truck in the middle of a snowstorm on a long secluded stretch of highway. She must have been dumped there, doesn't bear thinking about. She remained tiny and lived with us on our houseboat, even taught herself to use the "head", oh how I miss her furry little face even now, 30 years later, sigh, hugs, Martha

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Awww - Patti - I am sitting here with tears running down my face. Midnight, my sweet boy, is 15, and still healthy, though I do call him the $3000 cat. His girl friend, Sylvester, came to live with us, she is 16 or 17, I don't really know. Her fur has faded, she has trouble with her toilette, and seems to have a bit of blood coming from her nose, sometimes. She sleeps beside the oil heater these days, but, last fall, I gave her a bath, and a new pink collar, and she went out and caught me a chipmunk!!! 4 years ago, Nicademus came in the back door. He was a big, rangy tom, who had been dropped as a kitten. The vet approximated his age at 3 to 5 years. When he took his vows(love that) he lost 2 gonads, and 3 canines. Poor beggar is almost toothless. He is such a gently soul, but still a great hunter. Then I moved here last January, and in came Ozzie. Also called skinny mini!! A real survivor, and a cuddle-puss - none of the others are. He is almost 2 now, and filling in more that nicely. His role models are rather portly.

All to say, a kitten is a wonderful thing. And while Midnight will always be my favourite, my alpha, the others have claimed space in my heart. It's a good thing.

Nancy.

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh you dear people. Thank you so much. You have me laughing and crying and laughing again. I loved reading all of your comments, especially now. The house is awfully big and empty. When I got home from work tonight, no one answered me when I said "It's Mommy!" He was afraid of strangers, so I would try to let him know it was just me. Funny the hundred little things our pets do that become part of OUR routines, so we end up missing them in a hundred little ways. It's kind of like when you keep trying to use the microwave or turn on the lights when you know the electricity is off. . .

BUT I do have another kitty in my life. Her name is Ruby-Rose-Margaret. It's my sister's cat, but she generously gave it to my mother to keep her company. She is the funniest cat ever and very affectionate. She looks like she swallowed a bowling ball. I am not kidding. Her stripes are going the "wrong way" which adds to her natural "rotundity". Mom has had her on a diet for about 6 months and we keep assuring her she is losing but between you and me it's NOT happening! I'll get to see Ruby-Rose tomorrow! :-)

Thanks everyone!
    Patti

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

lol - my friend Sarah called Sylvester a barrel on sticks. A cartoon cat. Syl apparrently had a litter previous to our aquaintence. She is rather like Ruby-Rose-Margaret....also worthy of love....

• DYH
    15 years ago

Patti,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet cat.

Take care.
    Cameron

• shropshire_lad
    15 years ago

Patti,

My heart truly goes out to you for the loss of your sweet little Dickens. I wish I could take the pain away and hand that bundle of fur over into your arms once again. I lost my cat, Ben, a few years ago and it broke my heart. I know that hearing how my heart broke for the loss of Ben won't heal your pain, and I know that each pet owner feels like he/she is the one who is grieving the hardest anyone has ever grieved for a pet, but I just want you to know you are not alone in what you are feeling.
    Take care my friend.
    JJ

• girlgroupgirl
    15 years ago

Patti, I'm sorry about your cat. 17 is a wonderful age for a cat to live, but it also means 17 wonderful bonding years with his human. I'm sorry for your loss.

GGG

• Deb Chickenmom
    15 years ago

Patti, I'm so sorry about the loss of your dear cat/friend, Dickens. Not having him must leave such a big space in your life and in your heart. Hopefully, time and maybe another pet will help you feel better. Take care of yourself and know many are thinking of you and wishing you happier days. Debby

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Bye bye sweet Dickens.
    Patti, when I had my 21-year-old cat put to sleep I cried and cried. I knew I'd done the right thing and I knew he had a happy life but I missed him so much.
    Time really is a healer.

Hugs, Libby

• PattiOH
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm at Mumsie's this morning. Ruby Rose has already brightened my day with her antics . . . and so have you with your kind words. Thank you all so much!

Patti

• Annie
    15 years ago

Patti,

I am deeply sorry to hear about the passing of Dickens.
    I truly understand what you are going through, having lost many cats and dogs in my life, some of whom I shared long happy long lives with as you and your Dickens surely did. They warm our laps and it warms our hearts. They sense our emotions and console our souls at times when no one else can. They are as little children, needing our love and care, and we love them as just that.

Bless you for being a loving, caring person who has room in her life for a dear furry friend.

~ Annie

p.s. - my daughter calls me "Mumsie" too. :)

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

Patti, Edna, and Annette, I am so sorry for the loss of your family cats. The loss is a heart breaker. It seems so unfair that our pets have shorter lives than we do.

Regards,
    Lorna

• solana
    15 years ago

(((Hugs, Patti)))

Pets and people alike are blessed by your being a part of their lives.

Ana

• todancewithwolves
    15 years ago

Lorna, thank you. Tomato, who's real name was Eirn, was my Cocker Spanish boy.

I still miss the sound of his nails as he walked down the hallway. The past two nights I swear I heard him cough. Then there are times I see him out of the corner of my eye. I miss smelling his fur too :-(

So happy you spent time with Ruby Rose. Give her a "High Paw" from me.

Edna

Sponsored