SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Shelter for wild/feral animals?

alison
16 years ago

Central Ohio tends to go crazy at the threat of snow, but we've got a pretty serious winter storm, with 10-16" of snow rolling thru this weekend.

Earlier this week, I saw a new crop of "free-range" cats hanging out in the alley, and I've surprised a cat sleeping on my neighbor's porch. Got me thinking about all the animals out there in the elements.

I hate to encourage feral animals to hang around my place, but I do have a cardboard box with some straw in it out on the porch right now, for cats who are caught out in the storm. I always leave my clematis vines up until mid-March, so little birds have somewhere to roost. In recent years I've stopped feeding the birds in the fall so I don't give false hope to the stragglers, but I have put out seed and suet when it's bad, for the birds who are here.

And I remember my gradmother built little wood teepees out in the back of her wooded suburban Virgina yard. she told me they were there so animals had a place to hide in bad weather.

Does anyone else do anything for the wild/feral animals when the weather turns bad, or is survival of the fittest the best approach?

Comments (9)