SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bookmom41

Dogs and car windows...

bookmom41
16 years ago

Could have just as easily entitled this "kids & car windows." Be careful to keep the window master lock ON if you have young children or pets riding in the back seat of your car or truck and you have power windows. My 1997 Ford Explorer has rocker switches for the power windows, which remain active for a short time after the vehicle is shut off. While we were parked at a friends's house, my then five year old starting screaming--his head was out the window and the window was pressing on this neck. He had leaned out and pressed the rocker switch, engaging the window. Over the winter(at least five years later), the same thing happened to my dog--I had the window open far enough for him to stick his snout out, he activated the rocker switch and got pinched. In both instances, I was able to immediately reverse the window and no physical harm was done. I always keep the master switch locked with children or pets in the car, but each time someone must have unlocked it and I forgot to check.

Hope this story helps someone else remember to check the window locks in their car every time there are pets or children in the car. Both these incidents still haunt me. I will never again buy a vehicle with rocker switches as they are too easily activated and far too dangerous.

Comments (14)