SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

flooring options for 100 yr old house?

daisychain01
12 years ago

I seem to be mired in floor choices these days. We need to choose a floor for our 3rd floor which will be my 13 yr old DD's space. We have original hardwoods, cork floors and ceramic tiles in the rest of the house. Furnishings are done in cottons, linens and we have seagrass area rugs. This is the feeling I'd like to bring to this space as well. Right now there are gorgeous fir floors underneath old lino tile that my DH would love to restore. Unfortunately, those old lino tiles are asbestos and even tho some say it's okay if you take them out without making much dust, I'm scared it's not going to be possible.

So, what else could we do that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg? The other problem is that there are hot water rads and I would prefer to do something that I could work around them rather than have to shut them down, drain the system, etc. We had to do this when we put in the cork floors in the kitchen and it was expensive and a huge pain.

It really just kills me that there is this gorgeous wood floor just sitting there, but what can you do. I'm not going to risk my kids health for it.

Suggestions?

Comments (5)