SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Corn Pudding recipe?

I need something great ..but not too runny or all bready.

Comments (23)

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Shaun posted this on the "Must be on your table" thread. I haven't made it yet, but I trust Shaun's recipes!

Memphis Corn Pudding

1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin mix
    1 can Whole Kernel Corn with juice
    1 can Cream Corn
    1 stick of melted butter
    1 Cup sour cream
    2 eggs

Mix all ingredients until blended. Pour into 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned.

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

Hi bumblebeez,

Shaun just posted her Memphis Corn Pudding on the Has to be on the Table thread. It's almost half-way down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaun's Memphis Corn Pudding

• Related Discussions

seagrass-anyone ? re corn pudding

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks, Nancy and Seagrass, for your help. I had to come back and brag on how wonderfully the corn pudding turned out. DH hadn't gotten any on his plate and once I tasted mine I had to give him a taste. He took a bite and said that it was the best corn pudding he had EVER put in his mouch! Cha-ching!! Music to my ears! So, A BIG thank you, seagrass, for posting the recipe. I followed the recipe exactly, except I mixed everything but the eggs and had a taste. People here love sweet stuff, so I added a little sugar (maybe 1/8 cup), then added the eggs and baked it by the recipe. I was really tired after a busy day and wanted to go to bed before the pudding was totally cool. So I covered the dish with paper towels and loosely covered it with the top and slapped that baby in the fridge and crashed. This morning I cleared all of the condensation from the top. The paper towels had kept the pudding in perfect shape. It got warmed up in the oven at church and was perfect. Thanks again for the recipe and advice. It will be the only corn pudding recipe I will ever use from now on. Thanks again, Betty
    ...See More

A Great Recipe,Corn Pudding

Q

Comments (4)
    I made the Jiffy cornbread mix version for Thanksgiving 2010, and again this year. It was so good, I made it a week later and sent half of it home with our daughter. She reports son-in-law loves it now too. I have made it with and without eggs, and it is good.
    ...See More

LOOKING for: corn pudding w/ calico corn relish?

Q

Comments (0)
    Made corn pudding w/ Harry and David's Calico Corn Relish, then lost the paper recipe attached to the jar. Help?! chery2
    ...See More

RECIPE: Sweet Corn Pudding - a winner at Xmas

Q

Comments (3)
    I love corn pudding, especially at Thanksgiving, but I'm apparently the only one in my family that really likes it. This recipe is different from mine, sounds interesting & maybe it is the twist mine needs to make it more memorable. Thanks for sharing!
    ...See More
  • kathleenca
    14 years ago

I'm sorry, calioo - we were posting at the same time.

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

This is Joe's (gardenguru) recipe. It was delicious. You can easily leave out the peppers. I used vanilla extract instead of vanilla bean. It's too much and too rich for just me and DH, but it would be perfect for Thanksgiving or a dinner party.

SOUTHWEST CORN CUSTARD WITH ROASTED PEPPERS

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

2 ½ cups fresh corn kernels (or 1 pound frozen corn kernels,
    thawed, divided)
    ¼ cup sugar
    1 ¼ teaspoons salt
    1 cup milk
    ¾ cup heavy cream
    4 large eggs
    ½ whole vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
    (or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
    ½ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to touch
    4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    ¼ cup chopped green chilies (4-6 jalapenos or 3-4 roasted Anaheim or poblano chiles), peeled, and seeds removed*
    1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

* Roast chilies by slicing them in half lengthwise, placing them on a cookie sheet, brushing very lightly with olive oil and then putting them under the broiler until the skin has charred and appears loose on the pepper. Then wrap the pepper with a slightly dampened paper towel and place them in a closeable plastic bag until they have cooled to touch. The skin should peel easily from the pepper.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350° F. and butter a 1 ½-quart shallow casserole or quiche dish.

In the food processor, pulse ½ of the corn until it forms a paste (this will take approximately 8 to 10 pulses on most food processors).

In a medium-sized bowl, mix the corn paste, the remainder of the whole corn kernels, sugar, salt, milk, cream, eggs, and vanilla seeds or extract. Mix well, taking care to make sure the processed corn paste is mixed in thoroughly or you will have clumps in your finished dish.

Add the flour, butter, and diced green chilies, stirring until combined.
    Pour the mixture into your prepared casserole or quiche dish. Sprinkle the nutmeg over the custard.

Bake on the middle rack of your oven until the center is just set, about 40 to 45 minutes (30 minutes at the same temperature if you are using a convection oven). Remove from oven.
    Allow to the corn custard to set for approximately 5 minutes before serving.

• lindac
    14 years ago

This is the way my MIL did it....
    1 can of creamed corn
    and 1 can of non creamed corn (but I now use the can from the creamed corn and fill it with frozen corn)
    half a stick of butter
    3 eggs
    1 cup of half and half
    1 sleeve of saltines, crumbled....save some crackers for the top
    1 cup grated Swiss cheese.
    Mix all together, top with the saved crackers and bake in a greased 1 1/2 qt casserole at 375 for 45 minutes.
    I fine it's even better with a can of green chilis and some sauteed onion and sauteed red and green pepper.
    I sautee a couple of tablespoons of chopped onion and red bell pepper in a little EVOO until just soft and mix in.
    Good stuff!
    Linda C

• shaun
    14 years ago

Oh it's not really MY recipe, it's all over the internet! I just love it! Enjoy~

• ann_t
    14 years ago

I love corn pudding. Here is my favourite. Tried and True. You can make in in a casserole dish or as individual puddings.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Corn - Light Corn Custard
    =========================

2 cups scraped corn
    4 eggs
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    dash nutmeg
    2 Tablespoons melted butter/margarine

Combine ingredients and spoon into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Place in a roasting pan; pour boiling water two-thirds up side of the baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 hour or until the top is golden and a knife tests clean. Serve immediately.

For a smoother more uniform texture, puree corn and add two tablespoons of flour and proceed as above.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, thank you everyone!! I have one to add to the collection too...didn't know I had it.

CORN PUDDING
    (serves 6-8)

2 (15 ounce) cans creamed corn
    2 (10 ounce) packages frozen corn niblets, defrosted
    1/4 cup flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 cup cream
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    2 tablespoons sugar
    3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine creamed corn, defrosted niblets, flour, salt, beaten eggs, cream and melted butter. Mix well and pour into a 9" x 12" casserole pan. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Mix sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top. Bake uncovered 30 minutes more.

seagrass

• shaun
    14 years ago

Wow that looks so much prettier than the one I make!! Love the picture Ann!

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

The corn pudding I made was a sweet dessert type thing. It tasted like captain crunch!! I also make the other kind, I like both. I guess my kind of corn pudding is more often called "Indian pudding."

Indian pudding recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Heritage Cookbook

3 cups milk
    1/2 cup molasses (I can't stand molasses so I would use a mix of maple syrup and brown sugar)
    1/3 cup yellow corn meal
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 TBLSP butter

I a saucepan mix milk and molasses; stir in cornmeal, ginger, cinn and salt. Cook and stir until thick, about 10 min. Stir in butter. Turn into a 1 quart casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 300 degrees about 1 hour.
    Serves 6

Another version

Sweet Indian Pudding
    3 cups milk
    1/3 cup molasses
    1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
    1 beaten egg
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 TBLSP butter
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    1/2 tsp. ground cinn.
    1/4 tsp. salt

Combine everything up to but not including the egg in saucepan as above recipe. But after cooking until thick, remove from heat and let cool a bit. Combine egg, sugar, butter and spices and salt. Gradually stir in the hot cornmeal mixture into the egg mixture. (Slowly so the eggs don't curdle). Bake the same as above except for 1 1/2 hours.

A very unusual dish if you've never had it. I like it because I like Captain Crunch and I like pudding in general--it's comfort food. But I never make it because it takes a long time and makes a ton which I could never eat up on my own. I might make it for breakfast around Thanksgiving if I had a big crowd to feed, but I don't. I love Johnnycakes too, but never get to eat them for the same reason. I always make pancakes when company comes to stay!!

• JoanM
    14 years ago

I've made Ann T's. It is yummy! It did not look like her picture at all though. LOL

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

LINDAÂS SCALLOPED CORN

1 can or about 3 ½ cups corn drained (can use cans of just the yellow or yellow and white or Mexican corn mixÂthey are all very good)
    1 can or about 3 ½ cups creamed corn
    2 cups milk or half and half
    2 well beaten eggs
    ½ cup sweet yellow onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves minced garlic
    2 ½ cups cracker crumbs
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    ½ finely chopped green pepper (optional)
    ½ cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
    1 small can FrenchÂs Fried Onion Rings

Mix the ingredients together except for the onion rings. Put into a lighted buttered casserole dish and bake in a 350° over for approximately 45 to 60 minutes or until set, much like a soufflé. Sprinkle the onion rings over the top for the last 5 minutes of cooking.

• goldy
    14 years ago

I put vanilla in my cornpuddin with a lot of black pepper.

• jakkom
    14 years ago

Not only is this delicious, it reheats beautifully (although it won't be puffy again):

CORN & ARUGULA SOUFFLE
    For one large casserole or 3-6 ramekins, depending on size
    You can also use spinach, well drained, instead of the arugula. Add black pepper to taste.

2 tblsp light olive oil or butter
    3 tblsp flour, plus 1/4 cp extra to add to egg yolks
    1 cp milk or half and half
    3 eggs, separated
    2 cups cooked or frozen thawed corn, preferably white
    1/2 cp wilted arugula leaves
    1/2 tsp salt or more to taste
    1/4 tsp pepper if using spinach instead of arugula
    1 tblsp chopped fresh tarragon or thyme
    1/4 to 1/2 cp grated Parmesan

Heat oven to 350º. Oil a 2-qt round casserole, or 5-6 one-cup ramekins.

In a 3-qt saucepan, make a white sauce with first three ingredients.

Beat egg yolks, salt and the 1/4 cp extra flour in a bowl. Add 1 cup of the hot white sauce while blending slowly; then pour egg yolk mixture back into saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.

Add corn and arugula or spinach. Add pepper and fresh herbs to taste.

Whip egg whites with a pinch of salt until very stiff but not dry. Fold into corn mixture, pour into casserole and top with grated cheese.

Bake for 30-35 minutes (bowl size). If using ramekins* (or soup dishes), check after 20 minutes! Be sure to bake until browned on top and puffy.

The ramekins can be made ahead of time. Run a knife around the edge to loosen the soufflés and refrigerate. Bring to room temp before reheating in a 400º oven for 10 minutes by adding a tablespoonful of cream or milk to each one.

Serves 4 as side dish, 3 generously. With the added 1/4 cp flour, this will not sink as much as a regular soufflé as it cools.

* this fits four 1-1/2 cup ramekins perfectly.

• jude31
    14 years ago

This is a wonderful recipe and very easy to cut in half for fewer people. I have used it for about 10 to 12 years and it always get rave reviews.

TEE'S CORN PUDDING
    (a Southern Living recipe)

1/4 C. sugar
    3 T. A.P. flour
    2 teas. baking powder
    1 1/2 teas. salt
    6 large eggs
    2 C. whipping cream
    1/2 C. butter, melted
    6 C. fresh corn (about 12 ears)*

Combine first 4 ingredients. Whisk together eggs, whipping cream and butter. Gradually add sugar mixture, whisking until smooth. Stir in corn. Pour into a lightly greased 13 x 9 in. baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown and set. Let stand 5 minutes.

*If using frozen corn (I always do) be sure it is totally thawed before you try to mix it into the rest of the ingredients. (Don't ask me how I know)

jude

• cookebook
    14 years ago

Shaun, I made your corn pudding for our work thanksgiving today and it was delicious. I even took a picture of it for you but I can't figure out how to post them yet. I couldn't leave well enough alone though and I added green onions, cut up ham and some sharp cheddar. It is a keeper!

• Gina_W
    14 years ago

Ann, do you think that recipe will work in regular muffin tins?

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

The one that Shaun posted I have made numerous times. My family and friends love it and has pretty much become a staple for holiday meals. Now the one Ann posted I have never tried and that looks very interesting. As she is such a good cook, I need to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Gina, yes it works fine in regular muffin tins.

Ann

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

I love the look of this recipe, but I'll have cornbread dressing at Thanksgiving. I'll save this for later.

• shaun
    14 years ago

Cookebook! Great I'm glad you liked it. Sounds like yummy additions you added.

I want to try Ann's recipe!

• Tracey_OH
    14 years ago

Shaun's recipe has been a family favorite for over 20 years. My mom started making it in the 80's. The recipe she got was called Kentucky corn instead of Memphis corn though! I made it last Thanksgiving and subbed plain lowfat yogurt for the sour cream and it still turned out great.

Tracey

• surenalov_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hello,

What are the specific ingredients for a cornbread cake, and measurements please. Using the following ingredient: one box of yellow cake mix, or one box of white cake mix.

Anxious to try that recipe.

Thank you for your help.

Astree

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville