SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

Litter box issues {sigh}

tracey_b
15 years ago

Some of you may remember my almost 21-yr-old kitty, Casey (CRF and urinary issues)?

She pees quite often, and whereas before we never had a litter box problem, now she doesn't seem to pay attention that her butt isn't always inside the confines of the box before she lets go. Any suggestions?

Before, she had a covered pan to which I used an aerobic's "step" for her to enter from (she's short, and the vet suggested that she didn't need to step over the entrance). This worked really well for the last 2 years. Well, in the last few months, when she stopped going further into the box before peeing, the top of the step would be wet quite often (and messy), so I changed litter boxes. I found a low, flat one (uncovered), hoping that'd help, but NO.....there's still pee outside it (not using the step now).

If this were any other time in our lives, I'd just live with it until she passes. Whereas before I couldn't detect a "litter box", now I can (I guess from exposed urine). And that's the issue now....we have to sell our house. I've been reading about how you're supposed to eliminate all traces of pets when marketing your house. That isn't possible, but gee....I'd at least like people to enter the house and not smell the cat right away.

Any ideas to get her further into the box before squatting? Odor control?

Update on Casey herself: She's doing good. She's currently on another round of ABX since a UTI was still being detected. A bladder cancer scare ended up being just that--a scare (one test indicated clumping, abnormal cells; next test was fine). Even being on ABX, she's still peeing about every 30 minutes, but seems to be more the "old Casey."

She will not even entertain canned food anymore. She's drinking CatSure, which she considers a food. And at her insistence (if you knew her, you'd know why we give in), she also still gets her dry kibble (Sci. Diet). I'm thinking the CatSure--being all liquid--and the SD dry kind of cancel each other out :-) At her age and disposition, we do what SHE wants to do.

I'm finally hydrating her at home. Well, hubby is back from all his traveling, and we got it done yesterday for the 1st time (1st attempt since last fall). I changed the location (from previous attempt) and did "hands-off". We managed. So, big victory there.

I worry about the move's effect on her, but that's still 2-3 months off, and who knows what will happen in the interim. I've already decided that I can't leave her for long enough to go house-hunting in the new location (moving from IL to NC), so we'll just move into an apartment, and I'll househunt when I get moved there. Hubby will already be there, working. I hate moving her that extra time, but don't see as I have a choice (unless she makes it for me by passing before we go).

So.....any thoughts on litter box help?

Thanks!

Tracey

Comments (13)