SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oddity_gw

Help w/ litter box issues/kidney probs

oddity
16 years ago

Sorry this is really long...

Our boy cat, Oscar, has kidney problems. He is almost 7 years old. We adopted him last September and discovered the kidney function problems in March. He is being monitored by the vet. One level of his urinalysis two weeks ago showed that his kidney function is dwindling but his bloodwork looks great. He is not on any kidney function food or low phosphorous food because attempts to switch him have failed much to my dismay. It is my understanding that when cats have kidney issues that peeing outside the litterbox isn't totally uncommon but I just don't know what to do anymore.

We have two cats and 4 big (rubbermaid) litter boxes. One is upstairs and three are downstairs. I clean them out every day because Oscar seems to like a very clean box. I recently discovered that he has been peeing on the carpet in our baby's room. I thought that placing a litter box upstairs and having the carpets professionally cleaned had solved the problem but since our baby hasn't been born yet I don't go in the room very often and didn't realize it was still going on until he peed in there right in front of me. His urine is so diluted that it really doesn't smell like cat urine. I've had cats for years and I'm a groomer so I know what cat urine smells like.

Anyway I bought a very expensive steam cleaner and cleaned the carpet in the baby's room and now I keep the door shut but he paws at the door trying to get in and then I go and pick him up and put him in the litter box and then he pees. Or, he goes around crying at me and I pick him up and put him in the closest litter box and sometimes he pees and sometimes he doesn't.

Last night he kept meowing at me and finally I picked him up to put him in the box and he jumped out and turned his butt toward my floor-length curtains that are right next to the litter box and peed all over them.

This has been going on for a while and I just don't know what to do anymore. Do you think he may not like the kind of litter I'm using? Is there another kind of litter that anyone can suggest? Is this just something we'll have to put up with due to his kidney problems?

He is such a sweet boy and we love him so much. We've thought about removing all of the carpeting and replacing them with hard wood but I'm afraid that he'll start going on the furniture which would be harder to clean up. I wish he would just potty on the bathroom mats so I could throw them in the washer. I'm sorry I'm rambling I'm just at my wits end. I'm going to call our vet tomorrow to see if she has any suggestions.

Any advice?

Comments (13)