SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llhilly

OT: Should I have my cabinet maker make furniture for me?

pudgybaby
12 years ago

Sorry for the OT posting, but I thought this was the best forum, even if somewhat OT.

I had custom cabinets made for my kitchen a year and a half ago. I really enjoyed working with the cabinet maker and we are very happy with the product. We are now re-doing our master BR and need new furniture. I am spoiled with the custom cabinets and when I look at ready-made furniture, I am disappointed with what I have seen so far (although I haven't really looked very hard yet). Among other problems, there are non-full extension drawers and the furniture does not come in the size we want (e.g. nightstands are too short or too tall). Or it's *crazy* expensive. So, I called my cabinet maker today to see if he would do free-standing furniture. He told me to send him my inspiration pics, which I just did, but he does very little free-standing stuff. As I was looking at the pics, I see small but important details that are not usually incorporated into kitchen cabinets, and that makes me think that maybe it's not a good idea. He did mention a furniture maker that he has recommended, so I wonder if he will steer me in that direction.

We are looking for furniture in a contemporary style, but not uber modern, but not all that detailed, so I think it's possible for him to make. We need 2 nightstands, a long dresser and a tall dresser. We may not get all of the pieces matching. We want dark walnut, and for the two-toned pieces, probably walnut on the outside and natural maple on the drawer fronts.

Has anyone done this? Any idea what questions I should ask him? What are the construction differences between free-standing and built-in?

Here are the pics I sent him:

This one is actually vintage:

eclectic bedroom design by chicago interior designer Sean Michael Design

This one has mosaic tiles on the drawer fronts - so pretty!

This one is pretty modern, but I like the long horizontal lines and two-tone look:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (6)