SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annkh_nd

I love my cabinet maker

annkh_nd
10 years ago

The more I hear horror stories - or even less than completely happy stories - about contractors, the happier I am with mine.

I'm having new kitchen cabinets built by a local shop that has been in business for 25 years. They have a fantastic reputation in town - I've heard a lot of good things, and nothing negative.

I brought in my own plans (sketched to scale on engineering paper), and Dan the Cabinet Man drew them up for me. We had talked them through, so he understood what I wanted, and his perspectives perfectly matched my vision for the kitchen.

I have a lot of special things - like a spice rack inside a door, trash/recycling pullout, sink tipout, super susan, file drawers, drawers to a specific height (I measured my things first), pullout cutting board. The one thing I thought I invented - pullouts over the fridge - he has done before.

Dan keeps saying "I want you to be happy", and "I don't want you to have any surprises". I decided to permanently close off a blind corner and flank it with drawers, and he makes sure, every time we go through the drawings together, that I understand that there will be no access to that space, ever.

A friend of mine had Dan build him a whole wall entertainment center. When it the installers brought it in, there was a small error, because Dan had measured something wrong (it was easily fixed). The installers got a charge out of it - apparently they don't get to tease Dan about making mistakes very often.

Dan recommended an electrician for me, one he's worked with a lot (though I could have chosen anyone I wanted). When Jody the electrician came to start, he had a couple of questions about exact dimensions - and since he has Dan's number in his cell phone, it took all of 2 minutes for him to get his questions answered, and get the dimensions he needed. Jody told me about Dan's installer, and how meticulous he is.

I feel so good about this project! When Dan came for the final measurements at the house, after the old cabinets were out, he measured my sink to make sure it would fit the sink cab he had specified. If not, he would have adjusted by a fraction of an inch, to maximize my space on each side of the sink. He understands that efficient use of space is a priority for me.

He hasn't yet given me a firm install date, because he run into some problems with the project ahead of mine, and he wants to have that project wrapped up before he gets going on mine (this will be at most a week's delay). I told him I was glad - that's just reassurance to me that if I have problems, he'll take care of them right away.

One day my teenaged son asked "Mom, does Dad know about this obsession you have with the cabinet guy?" I assured him that he does, and is OK with it. Dan is tall and lanky and smells like sawdust - what's not to love?

Comments (20)