SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gobruno_gw

Does this sound crazy? Paint experts please!

gobruno
14 years ago

Please let me know if this sounds crazy, and help me understand what is going on. Is it possible that a paint store might have their color formula wrong? We think that the paint store didn't give us the color we chose, but rather gave us a different color.

We are in the process of painting the inside of our entire house (new construction). We chose an all over color for the house (ceilings and walls) that was sprayed on. You may have seen me on the boards agonizing about paint color. Anyway, we really wanted to get this right so we got 6 paint sample cans from Sherwin Williams that were all kind of in the same color family--creamy yellow tan. The last time I went to the store, I picked up 3 colors--Napery, Cottage Cream, and Concord Buff. When we painted them onto our poster board, the Concord Buff and Cottage Creams did not look like their paint chips, but rather, they were reversed. One is a lighter creamier color, the other is a deeper color. So it was obviously not right. When you reversed the paint chips, they matched exactly. To make sure, we painted the paint chips themselves to see if they matched, and they did. We figured that the guy at the SW store messed up bc he was making 3 pretty similar colors, literally as the store was closing. Anyway, so we went with the Concord Buff that matched the paint chip (although the can was labeled Cottage Cream). Fast forward, they painted our house, and it looks like Cottage Cream. I took home a painted 2x4 from the site and it matched my Cottage Cream and not my Concord Buff. So, what is going on? Although the 2 colors are similar, they are different enough to know that the Concord Buff is deeper (LRV 70) than Cottage Cream (LRV 72). The color on our walls is a brighter color that matches the Cottage Cream and not the Concord Buff. Is it possible that the forumlas got switched? I'm not 100 percent sure that the color on the walls is Cottage Cream, but it's something like that, a lighter creamier beige yellow, and is definitely not Concord Buff. What do you think?

Comments (4)