SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_brooks104

Quartersawn oak kitchen

Joyce Brooks
10 years ago

We had a 22 y/o black & white kitchen DH always disliked. He especially disliked how often our ice machine (not ice maker) would break down. It went out about once or twice each year, usually in the winter. I think the ice machine didn't like the radiant floor heat underneath it. Last time it went out he said "that's it, I'm rippin' that SOB outta there! Let's just go ahead a get a new kitchen." If you knew my DH you would know how shocking that was, because he is...extremely thrifty. I went out the next day and bought a new refrigerator so he couldn't change his mind! DH set up meeting with the semi-custom cabinet maker, so I had about 1 week to decide what I wanted to do with the kitchen. Gardenweb kitchens forum was a lifesaver! Now it's time to share.

I couldn't get DH to agree to replace the 20 y/o floor, or any other appliances,which were all 22 years old, except dishwasher was only 8. Aargh! So I was limited on the changes I could make, especially the footprint, because we only had 7 spare floor tiles. DH insisted the cabinets be oak. The rest of our house is yellow/orange honey oak, but I much prefer quartersawn with a slightly darker stain. I had to compromise my preferences a lot, but I did get my way on quite a few things.

Things I would absolutely do differently: I should have INSISTED on new floors. The new kitchen design should NOT have been entirely based on a 20 y/o floor! The storage to the left of the double oven should have been a tall pull-out. The way the storage faces the side makes the oven look off-center/lopsided. Any suggestions what I could do/hang there to detract from the lopsidedness?

Partial DIY
Refrigerator: GE French Door, Bottom Freezer, Regular Depth, white
Cabinets: Quartersawn Red Oak, Semi-Custom, Shaker, 3" stiles and rails
Stain: Gemini Gem-Glo wiping stain, 50% fox valley brown 719/ 50% lexington 721
Countertops: Cambria Quartz, perimeter Kingston, Island Torquay
Backsplash: Casabella Ceramic H-Line color pumice, 3x6 subway, grout unsanded snow white #11
Undercabinet lighting: Kichler LED direct wire
Paint: BM Seattle Mist
Over table light: Hink?
Faucets: Delta Artic Stainless
Sinks: Blanco Silgranite II White undermount
Extras: Spice pull out, upper corner lazy susan, lower corner half lazy susan pull-outs, large drawer for appliances instead of garage, drawer with slots for sideways storage of large skillets and casseroles, superlarge dog food drawer, double trash drawer.
Dishwasher: Fisher & Paykel stacked dish drawers 8 years old
Floors: 20 y/o porcelain 12x12 tiles, speckled gray

Able to gain about 4" for refrigerator by recessing wall

Comments (14)