SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
salgal33

tell me about your worst date...

Sally Brownlee
12 years ago

I was thinking of my ex today and our first date...

He picked me up for dinner and a movie. The first thing you should know is it was pouring rain all night...

We went out to eat - I remember it was Ponderosa. I spilled my drink in his lap. He handled it like a champ. (Years later, I KNOW he would've walked out)

Afterwards we went to the movie theatre. When we got there, still sitting in his Bronco, he asked me if I would mind keeping his keys in my purse? Sure. At the last second I decided to not take may purse in, so I tucked it under the seat and we went in.

In the lobby we ran into the guy I had just broken up with (and was avoiding)...let's just say that was kind of awkward.

I fell asleep during the movie...

When we went out to the car (in the rain) he asked for his keys...umm, they were still in my purse, locked in the car. Like a gentleman, he told me to wait inside while he tried to get in. He eventually had to break his wing window to get in. It was well past midnite till he got me home.

He still called for a 2nd date, so I must have done something right.

I still laugh about that night.

Care to share your worst date?

Comments (45)

• softball_80
    12 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sounds more like HIS worst date, not yours!

I can't remember having any really bad dates. You'd be better off asking some of MY dates....

• carol_in_california
    12 years ago

It was a blind date when I was about 18....we went to the snow and I tried skiing. On little narrow skis. I made it down the hill but couldn't get the hang of using the rope tow to get back up.
    I hate the cold....the guy was a jerk. He sped down the mountain and I got carsick.
    Why, oh why didn't I just say no when my friend offered to set me up with a blind date???

• Related Discussions

RSVP: Tell me about your Winter Sowing,

Q

Comments (31)
    Patti, I know you have had a lot of answers and I probably missed that along the way, but please describe in exact terms what you mean by "A TOTAL DISASTER". Did the seeds fail to germinate at all? Did they start to germinate, then died off? Did they die when you transplanted them to the ground? Depending on the answer, you should then find the cure. If they all failed to germinate, then maybe the seeds were old / not viable. If they germinated, but then died down, maybe the ventillation slits were not big enough? Or you opened the lids too early in the year and a blast of cold did them in? If you transplanted them to the ground and they died afterwards, could it be we are talking about plants that don't like to be transplanted (poppies, etc.) and they died of shock? Or were eaten by the slugs? (happens with my lupines *every single time*, sigh...) I'm not familiar with ws in a climate as cold as yours, but I think it's important you identify the root cause of the problem and fix it before you try again, so as to avoid being discouraged. I have been wsoing for about 4 years now with varying degrees of success, but overall my impression is that the method works very well, especially for perennials, shrubs and trees. I have started crape myrtles, vitex and a birch tree, plus herbaceous perennials, via this method with success. Until I discovered wsowing I no longer bothered to sow anything, as direct sowing is very iffy in my garden and either the slugs, snails or birds destroyed all that was sowed. Wsowing does give me a lot more control about what I sow. The only thing that is not so good for my particular situation is the fact that by the time seedlings are good to go in the ground we are already having hot and dry weather, which sometimes prevents them from performing as good. As a rule of thumb which I discovered by trial and error, I now tend to avoid planting anything in the ground from May to September, even nursery bought plants. I find that our long dry Summers stress plants beyond belief and many struggle to establish and die. As WSowing usually takes a while to grow seedlings to an acceptable size before the end of April, I will occasionally loose a plant if I plant it out later than that. But in my view this is not a failure of the method, it's a characteristic of my climate which I have learnt the hard way... Hope you have success with your WSowing this year. Eduarda
    ...See More

Please show me or tell me about your favorite

Q

Comments (5)
    jxbrown, fwiw, I bought a bunch of those to put on my oven racks. Yes, they do work...but they were a PAIN! I could no longer slide things on/off the shelf. I found them to be impractical...jmho!!! I don't care for mitts, either. Or the silicone pad. I just like the good old-fashioned terry cloth pot holder. I bought some newer quilted ones (not terry) that won't bend easily enough to grip the pan! LOL! I'm always on the search for terry cloth potholders. I must be in the minority since I have a hard time finding them. Here is a link that might be useful: This one is round, but it's the texture I like
    ...See More

show me/tell me about your niche/shelf over your range

Q

Comments (11)
    There was a thread on this topic some months ago--see below. There are some good photos of niches. Our project is bogged down, but I have a few additional comments since I posted... Because we have to watch our pennies, I'm shopping in bargain places. One problem I have encountered is that oddball lots of tiles often don't include bullnose pieces as well as regular field tile sizes. The niche that we have roughed in will require some cute tricks to make ordinary tile edges seem attractive and classy; we don't want to just snip tiles and leave raw edges. DH, my sweaty equity, did not finish the niche smoothly when he created it in drywall because we knew we would cover it in tile. Now, we're thinking that we might not do the tiling right away and he'll have to pull out drywall tools and make a proper corner edging around the niche. This kind of "go back and do over" gig is getting very frustrating. [Meanwhile, I've found a smashingly exciting tile that of course only comes without trim pieces. It's sitting right next to me, thinking. Unfortunately it has a decidedly unfinished raw edge and will require tricky handling if we choose to use it. I just covered it over so I can't see it tempting me there on the table. Have to be more practical. ] Tile shops do carry a metal edging that can be used to finish off edges when no bullnose is available, but I haven't seen examples of it in actual use on a range niche. Would love to see a sample photo to reassure me. Also, remember that if you choose to work with a thick tile or a remnant of some kind of rock from countertop on the back of the niche, that will cut down the depth of the niche shelf. If you want the area above range/cooktop to be an artistic focal point, I humbly suggest that you either make a niche OR some kind of tile design but not both. If you choose too fancy a niche back, the items standing within the niche will compete with the tile design for viewer's attention. Mine will be a working kitchen, so we're planning to put oil bottles, vinegar bottles, salt shaker, etc. there and they are supposed to get top billing. Don't forget that you can suspend a second shelf in the niche if there's room. Here is a link that might be useful: Niche topic thread
    ...See More

Show & Tell - Vines! Tell me about your Vines and why you love them.

Q

Comments (19)
    Hi june, I am on about 4 acres and there are woods on most sides of the property and only one neighbor on one side that I can see and its fenced there lol. So escapee passiflora and other vines aren't a problem. In fact, there are "wild /rogue" trumpet vines, japanese honeysuckle, and carolina jessamine growing all crazy out in the woods and up various trees on the back of the property. I have a lot of gulf frits so they do keep the escaped (from pots) passies under control here too. For additional control, I grow most of my passiflora in pots and use 3 tall bamboo poles tied together at the top in the large pots. Then I use fishing line and black electrical tape to create a little trellis for them to attach their tendrils onto between the bamboo poles. Then I position the pots up against a fence or tree and let them climb that way once they grow over the bamboo poles. When it freezes, I cut them back to the length of the bamboo pole/trellis and move the pots into the gh because some of the passies I grow will freeze back badly and some are tropical so gh culture during the winter is best for those. ~SJN
    ...See More
  • Jodi_SoCal
    12 years ago

This took place back in the early 70s. Allen was a popular DJ on a local radio station. The one that all of my friends listened to. I called in to request a song and ask about a certain singer and got to chatting with Allen. The infamous radio station holiday party was coming up, the one that everyone tuned in each year the morning after to hear great stories, and he invited me to be his date to "the" party. Wow, I was stoked!

The party went well enough. Got to meet all the other DJs which was a real trip but I noticed my date really didn't know his alcohol limit. By the time we left the party, he was blitzed. As he drove me home he was having trouble staying on the road and eventually drove the car up on a sidewalk stopping just short of a plate glass window, a fire hydrant and telephone pole. Good grief!

He figured we were stopped so this might be a good time to make out. I was not a willing participant and was putting up a bit of a struggle when there was a tap, tap, tap on the driver side window. A police officer wanted to know why we were parked on the curb. Allen mumbled something, the cop said fine, just back it off the sidewalk, and then he walked away not even noticing the terrified look on my face.

We managed to make it home without further incident but I bolted from the car the moment he pulled up front and that was the end of that date.

Jodi-

• matti5
    12 years ago

I've got two, don't know which one is worse, but both have to with animals lolWhen I was 18, there was an Italian guy (I'm Italian) that kept asking me out. My parents kept pressuring me to go out with him, so I finally caved. He shows up to our house, not with flowers, but with a goat. Apparently in "the old country" when you are wooing a woman, you bring the family a goat. Mind you we didn't live on a farm, but in a suburbs of CA. Anyway, I pulled my parents aside and told them there was no way in He$$ that I was going out with him. He put the goat back in his car and then proceeded to take off his shoes to show my parents how healthy his feet were. Apparently another "old country" tradition. My grandparents came from Italy and never heard of doing such a thing. Thankfully he finally found a woman that needed a goat lol

Second worst date: Back in the mid 70's there was a time when rabbit coats were popular. I was wearing one on a first date with a cute cashier that I had a huge crush on. The entire date he kept feeling up my rabbit coat, even when it was sitting on the back of my chair. During dinner I got up to use the rest room, come back and find him holding and feeling my coat. Needless to say it creeped me out and I never saw him again.

• joann23456
    12 years ago

I was on a first date with someone new. We were having a great time, and had already made plans to go out again the next night.

Later on in the date, we happened to be driving through a very small town, and we were stopped by a police officer (for nothing, by the way). We were in my car and I was driving (I had a new car and wanted to drive), so the officer took my license and registration. He also asked my date for his license. As the officer went to his car to run the licenses, my date turned to me and said, "Um, there may be a problem."

A few minutes later, the officer came back and arrested my date! As I watched my date get into the police car, hands cuffed behind his back, all I could think was, "So, I guess tomorrow night's off???"

I never did find out why they arrested my date, but it was probably a warrant on a speeding ticket or something similar.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Guy took me to a movie, after the movie started he excused himself once; then another time and didn't come back for the entire movie. He was waiting outside in the lobby when the movie was over! He mumbled something about being sick, I thought maybe I had deodorant problems; but then had the distinct feeling there was someone else in the theater he was hiding from.

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Just divorced and having a redo at the house. Electrician asked me out for dinner.

He came, and said we'd have to go in my car, cause his was in bad shape.

Drove out of town to fish camp. He told waitress separate checks.

Needed gas on way back, I paid for gas.

When we arrived at my house, I said, don't call me, I'll call you.

Think he got the message I had no intention of calling.

Thank goodness he had finished his electrical work.

• linda_in_iowa
    12 years ago

I remember a first date where we went out to lunch. He picked me up at work, he chose the restaurant and then when it came time for the bill he said he hoped I wouldn't mind if we went Dutch. Stupidly, I said "OK". I had $5 with me which had to last me several days until payday. There went my $5. This was maybe 30 years ago. If it was today I would just reply "I didn't bring any money with me because you invited me to lunch".

• hounds_x_two
    12 years ago

It was a blind date when I was in college...fortunately we went with two other couples. The guy got blindly drunk, and decided he wanted to fight. He decided to take down a stop sign pole, and bloodied up his knuckles...then he got sick...then he wanted to kiss...Not NO, H&!! No!

Yup, that was my worst date.

• vicki_lv
    12 years ago

I have several...but will start with one. I had moved to Vegas and had been here for about a year. A guy from our hometown moved out here. Somehow, I ended up on a date with him. He took me to some steak house on the strip. I think it was at the Stardust (which isn't here anymore). It was the most awkward date. He didn't have a lot to say on the way to the restaurant or during dinner. I was bored to the ultimate of boredom. Finally, he looks over at my plate and asked if I was "going to eat that", as he was staring at my steak. Which by the way, I had only eaten about 2 bites of. "Uh, no, I guess not." He reached across the table with his fork and took my steak right off my plate. I was flabbergasted. LOL I all the sudden got ill and just couldn't make it through the movie we were supposed to go to. Being with him was like being in solitary confinement.

• sandiefl
    12 years ago

I fell in love with the boy next door when I was 12.We had moved to Iowa,where my Dad was from,when I was 9.We had lived in Florida before that.For three years we begged my Dad to move us back.Just before he decided to I met my true love.Cried all the way home from Iowa.My Dad stopped in Georgia near a cotton farm and threatened to leave me there if I didn't stop crying.So, I had a long distance relationship with this person until I was 16. Didn't want to date because"I was in love." I met John when I was a senior, and he kept calling and coming over and told my Mom to get me to go out with him. I did, for her, and it was awful.We went to a party with people that I didn't know. He spent time with them and left me alone to fend for myself. I was very shy, and just stood there like a dork. When I got home I told Mom she could go out with him before I ever would again!

• hale_bopp
    12 years ago

BWAHAHAHAA!! Some of these are hilarious! Some of these are a bit SCARY! (My story's a bit scary too) :)

The worst one I can remember is when I was 18 and a waitress at a big restaurant. This older guy (about 25ish) I was waiting on, along with his friends, asked me out and the following weekend he took me out. He took me to a golf course to teach me how to hit a golf ball and he kept trying to "show" me by standing behind me with his arms around me. Grrrr. I kept pulling away from him and finally he got the idea.

Then we went out to dinner and had NOTHING to talk about which is not normal for me, LOL! He kept begging me to go somewhere- anywhere- with him afterward and so I suggested my parents house because they had a pool. (Stupid me) Got into our suits and all he wanted was to get close to me- ICK!

Finally got out of the pool to sit in the chairs and I noticed that he kept staring at my body through his sunglasses. He even asked me if I could see his eyes through his glasses. I lied and said, "No" all confused-like. (Stupid me, again!) My parents were in the house, but left us alone and finally I had to beg off and said I didn't feel good. He called and called after that and I wasn't buying!!! The creepy perv!!!

Blessings,
    Haley

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

There was this guy his name was Harold.He walked me home from a dance once tried to give me a ring he said he spent $40,00 on.He told me he loved me ,kept Trying to kiss me.geeze all in one nite.all he did was walk me home..I knew the way and all...We had an alley beside our home ,all day up and down in his little blue rambler..We would pull up in front of our house,hed be sitting in the alley.well then I met my hubby.This guy would not quit,we'd be in the back yard ,hubby &I he'd go down the alley,hubby jumped the fence went after him.Thats all it took.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Cant' wait to hear ole' joyful chime in! Where has he been lately?

• aprilflower
    12 years ago

I have two as well:

Years back, I was out to dinner with a guy I had seen a few times. He was from another country, which to me seemed very exotic. I thought things were going well, and he'd been a perfect gentleman up to this point. We're halfway through dinner and he looks over at me and smiles and says "you know, I've never *been* with a big girl before"...And I sat there, with a stunned look on my face but waited because I was SURE there was a punchline...was there ever...He followed it up with "Big girls like you are so much more Grateful and Giving than the women I'm used to..." Now mind you, I was not model-thin but nor was I heifer-huge either! I made sure I ordered the largest, most expensive dessert, and then made sure that he NEVER heard from this "big girl" again, LOL.

Second one was (in a way I guess) my fault. I was on a first date with a guy recently, and it was going very very well. We had a great dinner, talked for hours over it about everything in the world including my tendency to get lost frequently and my "charming clumsiness" (wait for it...). After dinner we walked on the boardwalk and talked for a few more hours, I mean great "clicking" here. I had left my car at his house, so I went inside to get my keys and then gave him a hug at the door, and then promptly turned and my heel slipped off of his doorstep and I completely and totally FACE PLANTED right there on his sidewalk. Shoes flew off in one direction, purse went the opposite way, and my dignity ran off in a third direction, never looking back. He had this look of extreme horror on his face and he was so stunned that I actually had to ASK him to help me up. Classic. He never called again, probably afraid I'd take him down with me next time, LOL! My knee was sore for weeks afterwards.

So, um, yeah, I'm sure enjoying the singles scene :-P

• lydia1959
    12 years ago

Wow! Some of these posts gave me a chuckle and others were just horrific.

My worst dates were all blind dates (set up by so-called friends). The dates were all with guys I'd never in a million years have chosen for myself and all of them wanted the same thing (which none got).

• trinitytx
    12 years ago

I will never forget this one....MY MOTHER of all people wanted to set me up with a really nice guy from her work. Just a prince charming she said....I said, I'll go only if he brings a friend, and my friend Louise can go along...
    (Louise was always up for fun, but had a toughness about her that I wanted to have with me that night)
    They pick us up and off we go...they drive, and drive, and finally I said where are we headed? To the beach.....huh?
    that is 150 miles from here....but before we knew it, it was half way there, and then the boys started drinking MD20/20....We both insisted that they turn around right then and take us home...
    Louise (thank goodness she was with me) said, you boys either take us home, or I am jumping out of this car by the count of 10....1-2-3.....they pulled over and headed back home.
    It was late when I got home, and my mother was not even worried! Boy was she mad,,, after I told her what happened.. prince charming my a$$.....

Trin

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Brought to mind a high school incident.
    I went with one guy for about 3 years. Once we split up and I went out with someone else.
    We went to a movie theater I didn't go to too often. We made our way (in the balcony) over
    laps and shoes and coats etc and found two empty sets. I sat down and was arranging myself when
    I realized I sat down right next to my regular boyfriend and the
    date he went out with tht night!! I don't remember much more I know we made up (I should have married him)

• carol_in_california
    12 years ago

I had one of the shortest dates in history.
    This guy was a friend of my brother....and when I told my brother I was going out with him, he told me NO WAY.
    Well, I didn't listen.
    The guy picked me up, met my mother and was very charming.
    We stopped at a gas station near my house and while the attendant was filling the gas tank, my date asked me if I "did it." But in a more disturbing way. I was only about 16 and was horrified and got out of the car and walked home.
    My Mom was surprised to see me so soon but was glad when I told her the reason. And my brother just shook his head when I told him.

• jannie
    12 years ago

My worst date was my first with my husband. He took me to a very fancy,expensive restaurant. He took me because he had a BOGO coupon. Had a great meal, enjoyed it very much. When it came to pay the bill, he started counting out pennies. I was very embarassed but did go out with him again. It turns out DH is a real skinflint, his whole family is very cheap about spending money. I just got used to his odd behavior. Other than that, he was and is a onderful guy. But I'd often go back to the table and add to the tips he's left.

• kacram
    12 years ago

LOL Great stories. I have nothing to add,
    I just had some boring ones. with a couple of guys
    that I had nothing in common with! lol

and some SCARY ones. glad you all came out alive! sheesh!

I am married to my second blind date!

• susanjf_gw
    12 years ago

in hs, new years eve...ended up with 2 boys (we were crusing sunset strip with others)..gave each a peck on the cheek at midnight...

dh and i met in las vegas on a mutual friend's boat...he asked me out that night...went to the old flamingo dancing...was so sunburned i cringed everytime he tried to touch my back..it was aweful!

• des_arc_ya_ya
    12 years ago

There was a guy in high school that was craaaaazy about me - not liked me, not had a crush on me, craaazy about me. He sent me notes during study hall asking me out, he told all my friends and his that he wanted to go with me, etc. He was definitely NOT my type - a nice kid, I guess, but not the type that I usually dated. The main thing, I think (besides his looks and personality! LOL) was that he made his "neediness" so apparent to everybody that it was embarassing and I was embarassed for him, too.

Finally agreed to go out with him. He came to my house, came in, met my parents, etc. We went to the movies. My curfew was always 11:00. At 9:30 I started complaining that I wasn't feeling well and I had him bring me home by 10:00 right after the movie. Told him that that's what time my curfew was. My mom said it was the only time I ever came in early in my whole life! LOL

At school on Monday all I got were questions regarding our date. I told the truth (kind of!). I don't know what he told them. He made noises later about us going out and I told him that I really didn't think that we had enough in common, except just to be friends.

Why in the crap I didn't take the high road the first time is beyond me! (The ignorance of youth, I guess.)

Saw him a few years ago at a high school graduation. He, his wife and two kids were there. He stared at me and seemed to really love introducing me to his wife and kids.

I'm happy for him! LOL

• vicki7
    12 years ago

I guess my worst date was back in the 90's. I had just gotten divorced and was anxious to get a new social life. I called up (did not have a computer or internet at that time) one of the supposedly reputable dating services. Found a guy that lived fairly close and we started talking on the phone together. After being convinced he was pretty harmless, I agreed to meet him for coffee and then an outdoor concert. I was shocked to find he looked JUST LIKE Homer Simpson. Now, I wasn't expecting Tom Cruise, but I just couldn't get my mind around dating Homer Simpson. Nice guy, but needless to say, never saw him again.
    Vicki

• dollydolots
    12 years ago

My worst date was a blind one that my friend
    set up.
    We went to a movie and then for a milkshake.
    No guys owned cars in those days so he walked me home.
    No kissing on first dates.He gave me a hug and started licking my face. What a creep. I never saw him again.
    Dolly

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

He gave me a hug and started licking my face.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Thanks Dolly for my morning wake-up laugh!!

• Sally Brownlee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

you guys are making me laugh out loud at work!

My other worst date was never a date at all!

A guy I used to work with lived about a block from me, but didn't have a very reliable car. He asked if we could carpool - this was back in the 80's, and he gave me $5 a week to help with gas. This was all on the up-and-up. There was absolutely nothing romantic at all, never. He was kind of icky and creepy...not great hygiene. I regretted agreeing to it immediately.
    About a month or so into the venture, he says he told his mom all about me and she wanted to meet me. What? She wants to meet your taxi driver?? That was the last day of carpooling!

• joyfulguy
    12 years ago

While reading down through these horror ... and hilarious ... stories ... I've been trying to recall a horrible date.

Came up dry.

Senior moment, maybe?

So ... here goes.

While I was at Cornell in '57, driving a VW Beetle "Bug" that I'd bought in Geneva (U.S. specifications - former owner had been U.S. guy) and shipped over, I roomed in a Presbyterian minister's house, as did another guy, and a Lebanese guy roomed with some student women next door.

During Ag week at the Univ., the other guys proposed that we all go together to a dance ... but I had no date.

So they set me up with sec. of a Baptist church downtown ... and you can imagine the six of us travelling in the Bug ... by the way ... if they call the driver of a truck a trucker ... what do they call the driver of a Bug?

Dance went well, and during the hours of the evening there was a bet that resulted in all of us (except my lady, who was downtown at work) getting together next morning in the Caf for the loser to buy coffee or whatever.

I'd taken a bit of a shine to one of the other guy's date, arranged to sit next to her, and asked her for a date.

She thought that a bit forward, asking a girl for a date while she was on (the extension of) a date with another guy.

Anyway, we ended up going to a music program together, which went well.

Next week, another gathering was planned and I couldn't get one smidgeon of interest from either of the other guys about going together.

Unless I forget (it was over 50 years ago) ... I'm pretty sure that they switched dates from the week before, that night ... and I went with the lady who'd been my date, the week before.

Anyway ... the girl with whom I'd gone to the music program and I went out a few times, during the next few spring months ...

... and there was a suggestion that maybe I'd be interested in driving her to visit her folks in Iowa.

We ended up getting married.

There was some talk of our getting married during that early summer, and she returning to Korea with me.

But my Mom had been sick in psych. hosp. from when I was 6 till her death when I was 13, and I'd seen lots of familes broken up among refugees in Korea, and I said that, in case I was unable to provide for our family in 10 years or so, that she'd need a skill, so she stayed and finished her degree, then came out to Korea and we were married there.

Having had trouble finding Korean contractors in cities to build according to our desires, we thought it would be difficult to get it done in the small city where I was, so we'd engaged a U.S. firm to build a house on our little 3-acre farm in which our new agriculturalist missionary would live while running demonstration ideas for local farmers. The builder went broke, some subcontractors put a lien on the house after the walls were up, the roof on, and door and window frames installed ...

... and there it sat, on a small hill, looking like a skull, throughout the summer.

We paid off the subcontractors (paid for that house about 1.5 times, I think) and proceeded with the building.

In the meantime ... the agriculturalist, with wife and four daughters aged 4 - 14, were coming in September.

We looked high and low for a place for them to stay awaiting the completion of their home, and could find none ...

... so we shoe-horned them into Ed's little 2-bedroom Japanese-style house, with the sliding paper-covered doors.

I went to Yokohama to meet Sue's boat in early Oct. - she said that had I not been there to meet her, she'd have gone home to Mother - we took a boat to Korea and we were married there in mid-Oct., went on a local none-too-thrilling honeymoon, then Sue moved in to the menagerie with Clare, Irene and Cheryl, Miriam, Dawn and Susie (who'd been our flower girl).

Shared house with them for just over three months, till their home was finished ...

... and Sue and Irene found it somewhat difficult to speak for the next four years.

So - there is something of a distasteful part of the story, after all.

We were together for 11 years, 2 kids ... Sue took internship in hospital food serice, became second-head, later head of food service in a local psych hosp. (the one where mom had spent part of her time in hosp.) for twenty years.

They talked of closing hers or another one in a nearby city, so Sue took early retirement. Had a ball for about 10 years.

Ironically ... she contracted colon cancer, fought it for something over a year and died at 66, almost six years ago. The kids said at that time that had she retired at normal time, it would have been the year before ...

... and I added that she'd have been sick for most of that year.

Another sad part of it is that we scarcely spoke for 35 years apart.

How sad - life's too short for that.

ole joyful ... most of the time

• trinitytx
    12 years ago

I forgot of one, that probably was well worth forgotten...
    A boy I went to high school with called and asked me out on a date. I really hated dates, but agreed to go out.
    He asked me for directions to my house, and I told him I lived across the street from one of the big time football jocks from school. He said, yes, I know exactly where you live, it must be next door to the retarded guy.
    I said yes, that is the place.
    When he came to pick me up, I made a point to have him meet my brother....the "retarded guy" he had spoken of earlier.
    I did go out with him, but did not say one single word to him the whole night. I ditched him not long after the date started, and left with a group of my friends....that did not mind I had a "retarded" brother....

I hope he learned his lesson..

Trin

• chisue
    12 years ago

Our next door neighbors set up a date for me with the son of friends. His parents wanted him to get out and date more. Today I'd question it, but I was only 21.

He was 30, very nice looking, well groomed, well mannered, drove a lovely car. He was *pleasant*, and we had a nice dinner. He walked me to my door and shook my hand. He called for a second date. I wondered, but I went. About the middle of the evening I figured out that I was 'cover', and he was in-the-closet gay.

• elisabeth_rose
    12 years ago

This wasn't really a date, but it was awkward and weird. And funny! It was my first year in college, and a group of friends got together to go to an outdoor concert. In the group were two guys that both were interested in me. They were both nice guys, but couldn't stand each other, and I had zero romantic interest in either one of them. On the way home, I ended up sitting in the back seat between the two of them. After a while one of them grabbed my hand in the dark. I tried to pull away, but didn't want to make a scene, knowing that if the other guy saw this, there would be problems. I just wanted to get home! Well... pretty soon the other guy took my other hand, and there I sat, not knowing if I should laugh or cry. Instead I got annoyed, and brought both my hands (and theirs) in to my lap, and linked their hands together while I pulled mine free. The expressions on their faces was priceless, and they pulled their hands apart like they had touched fire. Not a word was said, and neither one bothered much with me after that.

Elisabeth

• jupidupi
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

When I was in college, I lived in the kind of house that gets rented to college kids -- not in the greatest shape. It needed electrical work done, and the landlord sent an electrician who spent the day crawling in the attic and all the rooms. In other words, he really knew the house by the time he left. The electrician was young, with an almost angelic face. Not really my type, but when he asked me to go out the following night, I thought, "Why not?" It soon became obvious that we had very little to talk about. When I asked how he'd spent the day, he told me that he had gone target shooting. Okay.... Then he said that his favorite thing to shoot at was pictures from Playboy Magazine. Yikes! When we got to the crowded club, I said I was going to the ladies room and slipped out the door. I spent the night cowering in my house with the lights out, afraid he would come in and hide somewhere. About a year later, I saw him and he said, "Remember me?" Fortunately I was with a friend, a huge gay guy who sensed that I was afraid. He played the perfect jealous redneck, telling the guy to "quit talking to my girlfriend ."

• wildchild2x2
    2 years ago

When DH and I were dating we decided to go to San Francisco for the night and do the whole "tourist thing" (we're both SF natives) just for a fun date night. Dinner at the wharf, wax museum, some tours, ride the cable car etc.

Well we ate at Alioto's. Had a nice seafood dinner. Then we went on some trolley thing and then on to the wax museum. It was there I started to shiver and sweat. I was a tiny little thing at the time and those peasant dresses with the elastic under the bustline and little puffed sleeves were in fashion. Mine was long and made of a flowing shiny jersey fabric. I mention the dress because my flat abdomen puffed out to pregnancy proportions. I told him we needed to get out now. I vomited all across the bay bridge. He took me to the ER and we stayed their all night while they tried to get my acute food poisoning under control.

• User
    2 years ago

My older sister set me up on a ‘date’ when I was still at school, by inviting one of her classmates over.

So as not to be rude and tell him ‘Ewwww, no thanks,’ I decided to go in the bathroom and pretend to be violently sick. My sound effects were helped by emptying a beaker full of water down the loo every time I heaved.

Not content with that, I also put soap in my eyes to make them red and watery for my grand reemergence.

Unbeknownst to me, another one was set up by my Dad and my new Stepmum while I was still living with them. She knew a photographer and apparently he’d taken a shine to me when we’d met once at a ‘do’. He travelled more than 200 miles for his visit, arriving with a lovely bouquet and cheesy grin.

I said I’d just remembered I had to go pop and see my Nan (who lived down the road) and off I went.

I made sure my ‘pop’ lasted long enough for him to get the message and start his return journey without any further input from me.

• dedtired
    2 years ago

I went out with a guy who was really, really tall, like closing in on seven feet. He took me to a lovely restaurant where they had dancing. Okay, so I am picturing slow dancing, hopefully not too close. Unfortunately, the music was fast and lively. We get up to dance and he is flailing himself all over the dance floor. His wingspan must have been nearly seven feet, too, and his arms are flying everywhere as he gyrates around. Everyone is watching him in amusement and I am in utter horror. Thought the evening would never end.

• chisue
    2 years ago

Fun to see this thread revived. I cringe to think what an innocent I was. I marvel that I never felt endangered, despite going out alone with more than a few guys about whom I knew virtually *nothing*.

This date is *viscerally* memorable: A boy I'd known since grammar school had recently gotten his pilot's license and invited me to go up 'for a spin' on a Saturday morning. I'd flown many times on commercial jets and had loved being up in the Goodyear blimp once in Florida. I loved to fly, and I was looking forward to this. It was a beautiful, hot summer day -- very calm. We took off in this tiny plane and peered down at our town and Lake Michigan. My date showed me some of the tests he had had to perform to get his license. We stalled, and he pulled the plane up rapidly. We did spirals and flew upside down. He had a ball, demonstrating his prowess. He didn't understand why I wanted to go home immediately after we landed.

It wasn't his fault that I'd eaten a great big breakfast that morning or was soaking wet with sweat. Maybe I didn't *look* that green.

• Hareball
    2 years ago

I know women aren't perfect. We can be a special kind of crazy, but what in the world is wrong with some of these guys?!?! LOL

• dedtired
    2 years ago

Omg, just noticed this thread was started ten years ago. How do these things get revived? Kind of fun to see old names.

• Hareball
    2 years ago

Ooops I didn't even see that. It popped up so I assumed it was new. haha

• User
    2 years ago

Same! Whoops, and oh well:)

• samkarenorkaren
    2 years ago

Let's see...there was the guy who:

1. Took me to lunch and snuck out of the restaurant so I got stuck with Bill

2 blind date who after 3 hours begged me to marry him so he could get away from his over protective mother

3 guy who asked out for lunch and then said "your not going to eat are you". He got me a coke

4. Online date who said when date was over "I have to go home and analyze our date" (he's still analyzing it)

5 guy who said he wanted the perfect sex partner and nothing more

6. Guy who ended up having no car or job but wanted me to move in with him to provide rent and sex. Oh and he said clothing was not an option at His place.

SamKaren Your resident dj

• seniorgal
    2 years ago

A l-o-n-g time ago, but I do remember it. Young man who ran the on-base bowling alley where friends and I used to go on our lunch hour. He asked me out several times but I refused. Then he asked me to go to the Biltmore (to me that meant going to the hotel's very nice restaurant). I said yes. He and another couple picked me up, we walked down the block to the hotel. Instead of going to the restaurant we took the elevator to a room. H-m-m- I thought that was odd. They pulled beds out of the closet and set them up. It dawned on me that this was NOT a dinner date. I started to leave-told him he had the wrong girl. He did walk me home. Asked me out several times after that but i refused.

• Lynn Heins
    2 years ago

I've got one! 17 years old, in a dance barn with a jerk of a fellow. He and I hopped on the mechanical bull and I broke my face. I had a concussion and broken eye socket. He dropped me off at my house and was afraid of my parents so he tried to drop me off 1/4 mile from the house. Classy, huh?

• kathyg_in_mi
    2 years ago

Old posts can be a lot of fun too!