SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

kitten straining in litter box

tracey_b
13 years ago

For my Ragdoll, Ellie's first months (she's 8 mo. now), we battled diarrhea, but we now have that under control. It seems that the more premium foods AND "Kitten" variety were too rich or whatever. We went down the line until we got to Sci. Diet culinary tastes Adult (in the red can) and Sci. Diet Sensitive stomach (mixed half/half with Blue Buffalo) which seem to be working for the past month. Her stools are well-formed now.

However, about a month ago I noticed her straining to pee. About 3 times in 5 minutes, all that came out were pea-sized droplets. I called vet and scheduled a visit for the next day. By night, though, she was peeing normally and continued to do so. I still took her to vet who kept her for a urine sample. Only the expected trace of bacteria was found--and no crystals. No diagnosis. Vet said maybe she was trying to poop and a bit of urine came out instead.....could be, but she has different stances for the 2 actions, and she was definitely in the peeing stance :-)

She's been fine until yesterday......

Yesterday I saw her poop a good amount, but a few minutes later she was back in there and pooped out a tiny bit more. She seemed to try yet again a bit later. Constipation? But the stool wasn't hard at all.

This morning, same thing, AND she's straining to pee droplets again---about 3 attempts before she goes away from the litter boxes and gets busy playing, eating, or sleeping. Of course if she's still only managing droplets tomorrow, I'll take her back to the vet, but do you have any ideas for me on what might be going on? Maybe she's a bit neurotic / OCD?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.......

Comments (10)