SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Happy Dog Adoption Story

sue36
17 years ago

My sister has always been an animal lover and has many, many animals. About 7 years ago she had a Golden Retriever, the golden's "mutt" son (the Golden was a pregnant stray hen my sister found her) and her husband's male hound. The 1/2 Golden male was the alpha dog. She then adopted a juvenile mutt, looked to be Rottie and maybe beagle or hound.

Once the Rottie-mutt grew up, he fought with the 1/2 Golden mutt. I was afraid of the Rottie-mix. You could feel the energy around him, if you know what I mean. One time my sister was out in the yard and she heard a really bad fight and ran to them. The Rottie mix had the 1/2 Golden pinned to the ground and was on his throat. My sister stuck her leg between them and the Rottie mix released, and then bit my sister. His teeth went right through the back of the ankle where the Achille's is.

Our father and her husband said, "that's it!" and made her give the dog up. She brought him to a no kill shelter, but they said that they couldn't guarantee he wouldn't be put down because he bit someone and his general aggressive nature. She never knew what happened to him.

Last week she and her husband were driving through a town about 4 towns from them and her husband suddenly pulled over, yelling "look!". There was a dog being walked on a leash that looked like the Rottie-mix they gave up. They spoke to the man walking him and asked if the dog's name was "Fred". They guy said it used to be. And they asked to see the dog's mouth. It was Fred alright, right down to the same missing tooth! He was adopted after all. The man said he was aggressive at first and required some training, and he is an only dog in a house with no kids or other pets. He said the only issue is sometimes he has an "issue" with a terrier up the street. He didn't seem to remember my sister (she had him about a year).

Comments (4)