SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawn_t

Kinda luvin' my wood counter tonite (and btw thanks GardenWeb!)..

dawn_t
10 years ago

I'm on my 3rd glass of vino, feeling pensive here, reflecting, and this may be long - sorry!

I don't have time to post much, but I do try to stop by, for a little bit everyday, after my work shift...

We decided to build 6yrs ago, late in life, and WOW what a ride! Found GardenWeb during a search for granite tile counters and I never left, lol.

I'm a champagne gal on a beer budget *disclaimer*: I hate both champagne and beer, but love wine lol!

At the start I wanted granite SO badly, but it was never in DH's budget. The house was destined to be a DIY (me; Dh is all thumbs) build, and I was determined to find a way to have my granite. I found beautiful examples of DIY granite tile counter tops, and went so far as to buy the stone sanding discs kit & faucet hole cut out tools (I luv eBay!). I already had the variable speed angle grinder. Also bought some absolute black granite tiles at Home Depot....

After 2 weeks of having the tiles lay on top of my temporary plywood counters, I realized that this beautiful, shiny, black indulgence was never going to work in this country/farm animal ridden home (cat prints/horse/dog/hell even deer hair!) :(

Then I found IKEA Numerar oak here :)
I think that, until this evening, I always thought of it as the " second choice", and it probably was. But after dropping my umpteenth glass (wine) on it and having none break, I'm really starting to appreciate it's qualities. That, along with it's natural warmth (it's -30 again here on the CDN prairies), is just making me feel cozy :) The dark golden glow doesn't hurt either...

You are probably all now wishing that you never opened this message, but I thought I would share ;) ...

Now, if anyone has any ideas how to get my keester back on track to finish this sad, DIY, long overdue, build, I'm all ears :)

Cheers!
Dawn

Comments (26)