SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Do female cats live as long as male?

I have only had female. My cat is 13 ý, and this is a record for any cat IâÂÂve had. She had a stroke (due to a parasite) when she was 8, and I thought she would not last long. Surprise! She had to re-learn everything, but she did, with activity limitations, and is mostly blind. My daughter said the cat was just re-booted, so we should start counting her age over again dating from the stroke (joke).

She does very little, just hangs around the radiator. If I want her on my lap I now have to pick her up and put her there. But after the stroke she was not good at jumping anyway. She seems happy enough, purrs readily and is content to be carried around the house to keep me company. As time goes by she just does less and less. Litter box use is normal. Bloodwork is good: the vet even remarked on it at her last checkup. He said she is the oldest cat on Phenobarbital on his practice. SheâÂÂs spent half her life on it now.

My husband says we should prepare the kids for her imminent demise (I think heâÂÂs really telling me).
When I read about older cats, they all seem to be male. My DadâÂÂs cat lived to be 19, and he did hardly anything either the last few years. He went from obese to thin about 2 years before he died.

My cat was also fat; she takes Phenobarbital for seizures, and that stimulates appetite. I had to measure her food to keep her weight in check. Now in the last 6 months she has become normal sized again; not thin, but no longer fat. I think this is just due to a decreased appetite. I have to follow her around with the food dish at times to coax her to finish it before it dries up.

Soâ¦.had anyone had a female cat that lived long? Is my premise true, that male cats live longer, or is it just chance that the male cats IâÂÂve observed were longer lived? Thanks!

Comments (8)