SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Duck recipe critique

lpinkmountain
16 years ago

I found this recipe online. It sounds like a good one for Thanksgiving (just me and a friend). I have made duck before but am not familiar with this twice baking method. What do you think about it? I've had greasy duck and regretted it, although in my experience it has more to do with just the quality of the bird than anything else that I've been able to come up with, but I have not done the "twice baked" method. The only thing I don't like about it is it has less of an impressive presentation than a whole roasted bird.

Ingredients:

1 duck 4 to 5 lbs.

Marmalade sauce(recipe follows)

Salt and pepper

Marmalade sauce:

1 jar(10 oz) marmalade

Juice of 1 lemon

1/4 cup orange juice

1/2 tsp. salt

Freshly ground black pepper

2 Tbsps. duck fat

2 Tbsps. Marsala wine

Directions:

Duck:

If duck is frozen let it defrost, still wrapped, in the refrigerator for 48 hours. Wash duck inside and out,and pat dry. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper inside and out. Prick surface with a fork. Place on a rack and roast in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven, cool completely, and cut each breast into 2 portions and each thigh into 2 portions, forming 8 small pieces. Place the portions on a rack in a shallow baking dish. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes before serving. Brush with marmalade sauce about 15 minutes before removing from the oven.

Yield: 4 servings.

Sauce:

Mix marmalade, lemon and orange juices and salt and pepper to taste. Heat, stirring, until marmalade has melted. Stir in duck fat and wine. Brush over the duck pieces. Yield: approximately 1 1/2 cups.

Note:

"Duck always benefits from this precooking, cooling and rebaking system. The cooling process seems to release most of the oil from the duck and the second cooking crisps it beautifully. I prefer cutting each duck into 6 portions. Divide each half into 3 portions. Serve 2 portions per person."(B.M.Marton, author).

This duck should be started well ahead of time as the duck must cool after the first roasting. Be sure the duck is very crispy before serving.

Comments (9)