SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ydfz

critique my potting mix recipe (for sub-irrigated planter)

ydfz
11 years ago

hello and happy gardening to all.

i've done my homework (though, as a gardening amateur, my understanding is likely far more limited than yours) and purchased all the raw ingredients necessary to make a well-draining but moisture-wicking potting mix suitable for a sub irrigated (a.k.a. self-watering) earthbox-type container garden. i'll be mixing en masse (i see myself in knee-pads on a tarp in the near future) to the tune of a cubic yard or so. the time for fall planting is fast approaching in my area, and before i screw up several cubic feet of mix, i wanted to get some critique on the best ratios of ingredients either based on your own experience or simply by your educated opinion.

i have the following in my stockpile:

12 cu ft sphagnum peat moss

12 cu ft pine bark fines

8 cu ft coarse perlite

4 cu ft coarse vermiculite

other amendments and fertilizers:

5 lb worm castings

5 lb dolomite lime

12 oz mycorrhizal fungi

20 lb garden-tone granular fertilizer 3-4-4

1 gal liquid fish blend 2-3-2 (for supplemental feeding as necessary)

NOW here's where i need the most help. i was thinking the best balance of moisture retention, proper drainage, and reasonable cost would be a formula similar to the following:

(by volume):

40% sphagnum peat moss

25% pine bark fines

25% coarse perlite

10% coarse vermiculite

plus incidentals (lime for ph, some castings for good measure, etc.)

what do you think? am i cheaping out by not including enough vermiculite (it is quite pricy here)? or, conversely, do you think i could get away with increasing the peat moss or bark fines to bulk up the mix (as those are the cheapest ingredients and in plentiful supply)?

PLEASE HELP!!! i only get one chance to make this right before i'm stuck with it the whole season.

Comments (8)