SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

If you've successfully helped your dog lose weight...

christie_sw_mo
15 years ago

What did you do?

My eight year old Sheltie has gotten a bit chubby since we added the new puppy (Chloe) over the summer and it's my fault. She was used to eating just once a day and her weight was just fine but of course the puppy ate more often so I would give my adult dog (Shasta) a little of the puppy food at the same time and it's caused her to gain weight. (yes I know now it was dumb) I recently switched Shasta to Wellness Core, but not sure it's a good idea to keep her on that long term. I think, from what I've read, it's similar to someone being on an Atkins diet, high protein, low carb. I'm sure it's a good dog food. I just can't find any info on long term use of the no-grain stuff and I'm skeptical. I feed both dogs in the morning. I've quit giving Shasta puppy food treats but I have been giving her just a little of the Wellness Core in the evening when I feed the puppy again because she nearly has an anxiety attack if the puppy gets food and she doesn't. I've tried putting them in separate rooms when I feed them but that doesn't help the jealousy much because she KNOWS lol. She sniffs her breath.

If she was a normal weight, I wouldn't be thinking about putting her on a senior diet quite yet but she isn't, and she's definitely gotten less active in the last few months. Do you think it's time for senior food for her?

Do I just need to be tough and cut out her second meal?

Comments (18)