SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
runninginplace

Kitchen Paint Advice Needed

runninginplace
15 years ago

Well, with the economy as it is my plans for a kitchen gut/remodel are on hold. Instead I'm doing a VERY low budget cosmetic makeover for a year or two till it's time for the Real Thing.

So, the plan is to repaint my cabinets which are a yellowed white-thanks to my DH whose paint advice is steeped in 1950s-era wisdom. When I painted them ~15 years ago he insisted oil based was the only way to go (grrr). Going to have my son spray them in BM bright white latex semi-gloss. New knobs/pulls. A laminate wood-look floor to cover the tragic homemade vinyl installation we did at the same time we painted. Ikea tall Billy bookcases w/doors as a temp-pantry in the hallway next to the kitchen. And, paint the room.

That's where I"m stuck. This is a galley kitchen, facing north and the main light is a flourescent track fixture over the one window. The counter and backsplash is blue tile. I have BM Quiet Moments in half-strength in the rest of the house's public areas but I think it reads too blue-green for the kitchen. Or...maybe not? I have been leaning toward a gray blue, and like BM Horizon. Also saw BM Beacon Gray on the forum used in a family room, gorgeous. But I'm wondering if in my room, with its little natural light and flourescent artificial lighting, a blue-gray won't work w/the blue tiles? Will it end up looking like a gray prison wall??? Here is a picture of the kitchen.

Window side (usually the light above the sink is the only one turned on):

Applicance Side:

So, advice? Suggestions? Oh, one other task will be decluttering the kitchen!

Ann

Comments (14)