SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Dang car: though hot under the collar .. don't share heat with me

joyfulguy
12 years ago

Yesterday was fairly mild, but some time after having left the lights on in the car while playing on the computer, had gone to pizza and movie night at one of the churches to which I relate. We have a choice of three, each time, and last night the most popular one was "Mamma Mia".

On starting for home, after some distance I noticed that I wasn't getting any heat into the car. The controls were all in good shape.

Then I noticed that the engine was getting really hot. So it wasn't actually "under the collar" ... but inside the engine.

So ... I pushed in the clutch and turned off the ignition key ...

... which left me rolling, but without an engine running. I'd roll for a ways, until going slowly - there wasn't much traffic, and for the first few miles it was a multi-lane road.

Then I'd turn on the key and let out the clutch, which turned over the engine and it restarted ...

... and I could run for another short distance.

Sometimes it helps if one drives a car with a standard transmission.

It helps if there's a bit of undulation in the road, which means that one can power uphill and coast downhill.

Soon after I left the multi-lane road, I was on a little-travelled back road, so wasn't interfering with the normal flow of traffic with my shenanigans.

I was surely glad that I wasn't travelling on the limited-access and high-speed freeway, at that time!

Thus powering up ... then powering down (but continuing to move toward home) I was able to get there safely ... and had to be careful, for the heat gauge on the engine, like the gas gauge, moves to the bottom when the key is off, and only moves up slowly when the key is turned on, so it's necessary to watch it closely.

Got to the (closer) church this morning without incident and after service and social hour (description deserves a separate post) ...

... I went to the second church, where I'd been for the pizza and movie (on the edge of the city, closest to my place) ... for some talk, as it was some late for church ... and some late for coffee ... or cookies.

Engine cooled some, then I came downtown here ...

... to talk to you folks.

Got some cream at a good price yesterday and have a carton that's to go to son's place after the hour and a half here.

It's coolish today ... and will be some more by suppertime, when I'll be going home, so expect to make it without further ado ... but not by way of the freeway, which is the usual route when homebound from son's place.

Now ... if your engine, when producing more heat than usual, or faster than usual, and so much of it that it would damage itself were the operator not operating it carefully ...

... if such an engine kept all of that extra heat to itself and refused to share it ...

... wouldn't that make you hot under the collar??

The plan for tomorrow morning includes a visit to my favourite garage.

I tell them that it seems as though, whenever I get some money ahead ... I need to come visit them.

For a time after I bought this car, I visited there so seldom that when I did go, I asked the mechanics their names ... and we all got a bit of a snicker over that one.

ole joyful

Comments (8)