SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andy2007

what is a good way to heat a 2-car garage?

andy2007
17 years ago

I had a frozen water pipe today which the plumber unfroze it

and said that my garage is too cold for the water pipes

in the concealed and plastered garage ceiling that supply

water to the washroom/bedroom upstairs.

Please I need some suggestions, thank you for your time.

andy2007

Comments (35)

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

Alot depends on your budget but gas fired heaters designed specifically for garage spaces would be the way to go. Google Mr Heater Garage Heaters

• blacknumber1
    17 years ago

Hot Dog heaters work good and are not expensive. If you want to spend a bit more look into overhead radient heaters, keeps your tools and floor warm when you're crawling around under you're muscle cars. If youdon't have gas near your garage you may need to look at other options, like electric heat or possibly a wood stove.

• Related Discussions

3 car garage versus 2 car garage

Q

Comments (10)
    I've never head anyone say - "We have too much garage space". Garage space is relatively inexpensive compared to sq/ft costs of a home. You don't have to heat it or carpet it or furnish it. The extra cost will be for the extended slab, walls, roof and door. Be careful you don't shrink your garage too much. A Miata is what you have now, but what if you want to buy something else down the road? Remember, too, to allow space to get in, out and walk around your vehicles. It's amazing how big a car becomes once it is in an enclosed space. Especially trucks or SUVs with oversized mirrors. A too small garage can become a daily source of irritation - not to mention the possibility of damaging your cars if you can't open the doors without hitting the wall or another car. If you plan to have a yard, you'll need someplace to store tools and mowers and such as well. Be sure and engineer the trusses/joists above the garage to support the extra weight of your bonus room floor and the storage space.
    ...See More

What would an extra 2-car garage cost to add to the existing plan

Q

Comments (10)
    If your husband is insistent on a 4 car garage, then look at making the garage rear entry instead of front or side entry. It wouldn't look like a commercial auto repair place with a small house attached then. It would also give you the turnaround space as a private "party" patio without having to construct an extra patio. It will only be minimally more expensive for your driveway paving to construct it like that and it keeps the facade looking like a house at least. You will have to have a large enough lot for this, but if you're looking at a 4 car, you're not looking at 50 foot wide lots. Our workshop/garage is side entry and the single and double doors are basically in line with the house's side entry garage. Like all side entries, it's at least only partially visible to the street. We've had the "auto shop attached to the house" comments, even though the house is in front and they are separate structures. We had to do the shop in the rear because of codes, but we have a great view to the rear of the property, so building it in a "L" orientation to the house was our compromise to keep as much of the view as possible and still have the shop. I only wish we had had other more aesthetically pleasing options. Starting from scratch gives you a lot more options.
    ...See More

car port into 2 car garage and patio

Q

Comments (9)
    Sorry about your fire. What a terrible situation but I'm glad the damage wasn't more extensive. Something you need to consider when you think about enclosing a carport is building codes. Adding a door makes it an enclosed space and you may need to add 5/4" drywall that is taped and mudded, along with a self closing fire rated door if it leads into the house. Your city's code enforcement office will be able to give you details as to what exactly needs to be done.
    ...See More

Best way to add heating and cooling to an attached garage

Q

Comments (12)
    I presumed that you have central A/C in the house, you can’t tie into that. The reason is that if a car is left running in the garage the fumes could get pulled back into the house. No idea what a mini-split system costs - depends mostly on size. You will need at least one 220v circuit for whatever you end up doing. 120v just doesn’t provide enough power for any significant level of heat, unless you have a very small garage. There are small “window” A/C units that are 120v but I’m guessing you have at least a two car garage... If budget allows, I’d suggest taking a good look at a mini split system.
    ...See More
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    17 years ago

Currently I have an electic heater by Dimplex in my 2 car.
    Alot depends on whether your garage is insulated. If it's not, that would be the first thing you should do, otherwise you will spend a fortune on trying to keep it heated.
    I am planning on installing a mini-split system before summer so I can have my garage cooled over the summer. I spend alot of time in my garage so it will be completely worth it for me.
    Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: garage heaters

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

If you read the post again I don't think this guy wants to work out there, etc. Sounds like he just wants to keep the space above a temperature that is causing his pipes to freeze so suggesting a wood stove or the roaring open flame hot dog heater doesn't seem very practical. As far as those hanging electric unit heaters,,, I don't care how well you insulate the ceiling and walls of the garage you still have to deal with an ice cold concrete floor so you'll probably be using electricity like crazy and still not be working in much comfort. IMO

• don21
    17 years ago

I agree

I would cut out the wallboard and insulate the water pipes so there's no chance they could freeze - If necessary, you could wrap them with electrical heat tape before you insulate them and plug that in during the cold months - Much cheaper than trying to heat the garage just to prevent pipes from freezing. The money you would waste heating the garage for 1 year would certainly pay to have the sheetrock you cut out repaired

Don

• bob_brown
    17 years ago

Insulate the water pipes. Possibly build a room around the heater.

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

The heater isn't in the garage, the pipes are run in the ceiling because there are rooms above the garage,, ka'peesh Bob? To a Texan frozen pipes in a ceiling is probably kind of like the original Star Trek. WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE

• bob_brown
    17 years ago

Hello,
    Yea, BX weuns down hear in Texas are culturly backward. We were the place they sent those damn rocks from the Moon a few years ago. H*ll, the administration of the space program also is in Texas. They solved a world crisis when the supercollider was cancelled in Texas. When Texas was accepted into the union, we were the only state to have the right to raise an army, or divide up into 5 seperate states. The size of land stretched from the southern boarder to almost the northern boarder. The distance between the east to the west is almost as far as the drive to St. Louis, 640 miles. When the grapes in France died, the new plants that replaced all of the old uns came from Texas. (1918 or about that time) 3 of 6 of the biggest and best HVAC companies in America are based in Texas. We have about 13% of the population, that lives in comparative bliss without freezing weather for 9 months of the year.

We are just stupid I guess, we wrap the pipes when they are in environmentally poor areas. We just doent think on it.

The post suggested a poorly thought out solution to frozen pipes. I tried to offer a suggestion that would be much cheaper than heating a garage. If you are rich as sin, and an American, why not waste energy. We do it all of the time. Not this Homboey.

As a final note, I was talkin to a dumass today. He holds a double degree in mechanical engineering and metalurgy. He was recently in Peru, and spent the entire time gettin drunk in the best hotel they had. He told me he could trace his ancestors for 800 years. He is just a good ole boy that has built tuned suspension race car chasis for the last 30 years. Yea, born and bred in Texas.

Articulation is probably overated, ifin you can't pronounce the words, Ask someone to read this for you.

In spite of this comment, I still like your posts.

• don21
    17 years ago

Bob, you gotta pay more respect to anybody who goes so far as to call himself as "Mr. HVAC" - Hell, he probably has more degrees all to himself than you and I and half the forum do combined ;-)

Don't be so hard on him . . . . occasionally, he gets things right - Just not this time

Don

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

Jesus Christ bob calm the hell down, all I meant by my comment is that in Texas you people probably don't have to worry about frozen pipes all that much, you know like "WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE" So as long as the shoe fits why don't you just pass over the heating and air conditioning posts you possess very little knowledge in. Oh hell, that doesn't leave you with much to comment about in here at all does it??:-) For your information when you get consistant temperatures around zero with high winds there are times when you just have to use energy to keep pipes from freezing. It's the lesser of two evils bob, either use energy or spend lots of time repairing burst pipes and replacing sheetrock. You haven't a clue about what this poster is talking about here so SHUT UP! You seem to have to make a comment for practically every post anyway. Insulation just doesn't cut it some time. For that matter in hot weather why don't you just place a bowl of ice cubes in front of a fan, why waste energy turning on your air conditioner? And don't try to impress me with what Texas has. I'm not impressed by braggers which is why I continue to raze you in here, it seems like bragging is what you do best. Besides what does all you've bragged about in that state have anything to do with you anyway? On top of all your other BS I suppose you're gonna tell us you had something to do with the development of the space program or something like that too huh? I think the more you contribute to this forum the more people realize most of the time you haven't a clue about anything!
    And don21, actually I don't have any degrees at all. What I have is 30+ years of sweating and freezing many body parts off fixing pieces of equipment that would probably make your head spin. I've been fortunate in that time to get exposure to all kinds of equipmment and work for some companies that realize the importance of trained technicians and were very generous providing it. When I supply info to "any" inquiry here its only because I've been there and have experienced a similar situation first hand. When you perform your services from 20 below to 100+ degrees at any hour of the day or night in all kinds of weather you get pretty good at what you're doing!

• bob_brown
    17 years ago

Well, I dont work in sub zero weather, but it only takes about 30 degrees to freeze a water pipe. Electric heat tape for pipes that has a resistive sensor to reduce heat unless needed have been around since the mid 1970's. Foam has been acvailable since the 1980's just about world-wide. Foam pipe insulation protects to about 30 below if you get the thick foam. When I moved into my house in 1984, the pipes froze in 2 bathrooms. I insulated the pipes and the pipes don't freeze anymore.

Now let me tell you about the time I launched my first rocket. It went straight up and almost straight back down. It landed very close to where I was standing. I did that near Dallas, not Houston. In Houston, I launched a rocket and it followed the bayou into the sunset. I was miles from NASA.

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

several things, 1, electric heat tape does not last all that long and in cold weather (and I don't mean 30 degrees, that's tee shirt weather for some of us) how that is discovered many times is when a pipe bursts. 2, a pipe that has electric heat tape on it should not be insulated. 3, foam insulation does not protect down to 30 below zero, believe me.
    As for rockets,, you should probably spend some time polishing your rocket and less time in this forum! :-)

• blacknumber1
    17 years ago

I'm staying out of this one.

In my bathroom I had pipes freezing last week, I repaired them twice and insulated them, as well as filling cracks in the foundation with foam. The next day they froze again, I broke down and put some heat tape on them and they have ben trouble-free since.

• blinddog
    17 years ago

Go HVAC Go / Sic him Bob, Sic him.
    Sorry, just enjoying the entertainment.

• garyg
    17 years ago

Don21: It's Mr "HAVAC", not Mr. HVAC.

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

"It's Mr "HAVAC", not Mr. HVAC"
    For some maybe words with more then 4 letters are just to difficult to use in conversation. :-)
    This is not my first encounter with the air conditioning messiah from Texas but I do believe this is the first time don21 and I have talked trash at each other.

• pjb999
    17 years ago

OK.

My garage is attached to my house, and we've had lots of freezing weather this year. I don't have pipes in it, but anyway...

2 things the otherwise dopey previous owners did that was smart? 1 - get a decent, insulated garage door.

2- run the pipe for the dryer through the garage, and out the wall. That, combined with parking the car in there kept it above freezing pretty much all of the time.

The cheapest, simplest way to keep those pipes from freezing is a plain old electric heater, there are even some specially made for garages.

An oil heater would avoid the issues faced with dust etc with fan heaters, that being said, I put a cheap fan heater in my garage because I had to spray paint some trim and needed to keep it at +10 C or above. It didn't like the dust too much (had a filter though) but whilst it doesn't look too nice anymore, it does a good job. Advantage of the electric models is, they won't consume anything unless they come on, and pose probably less of a spark risk than gas, although, again, the best ones are probably the dedicated garage heaters, although a strip heater'd probably be good too, for a gentle heat.

You only need to stay above freezing, just. That should help significantly with economy. If original poster isn't using the garage that much, maybe they should consider some sort of curtain or something over the main door - I've been considering making drop sheet curtains that run right round mine, so I can spray paint more easily in the future....

The other possibility (one I'm looking into as well, since my bedroom floor above the garage gets so cold) is to look into further insulation in the ceiling of the garage, but it must be between the garage and the pipe, so the pipe's on the 'warm side' or, like I'm considering, putting battens up, sheet foam insulation, and another layer of drywall over it. Poster in theory would only have to do it over the section with the pipes, although the whole ceiling would be better. The advantage of this over directly insulating the pipes, would be it would turn the garage ceiling into the barrier between the cold and warm areas, at the moment, the floor above the pipes is where this is right now.

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

pjb999, I've got a question 4 U. Do you like to travel? Then you go right ahead and keep on painting in your closed garage with and electric heater going and there's a very change you will! Who knows where you'll land though!

• fred1944
    17 years ago

Dont know much about heat and coolinmg, but just wanted to chime in here if you dont mind, hey brown keep up the good work, i ran into that mr hvac many moons ago,,told him he needs to get laid and i see it stil hasnt happended..

fred

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

Well son of a gun look who's back! Where the heck have you been Fred1944? Obviously not to a spelling bee!
    Someone with your mentality on the subject of HVAC probably does think BB is knowledgeable. And why are you so preoccupied with my sex life, what does it have to do with my knowledge of the subject at hand. Speaking of hands, I take it your sex life is thriving? :-)

• don21
    17 years ago

If pipe with heat tape shouldn't be insulated, nobody told FEMA - Every trailer they installed around here after Katrina has both heat tape and foam insulation on the water inlet pipe . . . . and it seldom ever gets colder than +20 or so down here on the Gulf Coast

Don

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

FEMA??? Oh now there's a government organization most people have tons of confidence in!!! Try this instead, check with the manufacturers who make the product and see what they recommend. Thats what I did. Matter of fact many say so right in the instructions.

• fred1944
    17 years ago

ohn no hvac, not preoccupied one bit. just making an observation. i hate to see frustrated people walking around all day 24-7 52-365,,it then leads to faulty, incompetent shitty advice in other areas. just ask brownie.

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

Well your spelling is much better this time fred. Either you used spell check or you have someone smarter then you, like a second grader, trying to cover the fact that you're a dope! I find it amazing that you think you know so much about me. You must be a professional ANALyst?

• fred1944
    17 years ago

now now now,,sticks and stones.....remember that child? its very easy to analyze the younfg immature andpredictible crowd. yes i know my spelling isnt good, true, i relaize its make s you feel good pointing out faults of others but i know how to treat my fellow man something you just havent quite grabbed yet have you sonny?

you must be some trade professional to have time lounging around all day on the internet, im retired whats your excuse?

• don21
    17 years ago

"Smarter THEN you?"

Come on - That wouldn't make it past your FIRST grade teacher . . . . It's 'Smarter THAN you'

Don

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

"you must be some trade professional to have time lounging around all day on the internet, im retired whats your excuse?"
    I'm semi at 58 if you really must know. So that gives me time to come in here and attempt to help people with their heating and air condition issues when I feel like. And you? "Dont know much about heat and coolinmg" So you really have absolutely nothing to contribute to this forum do you?
    Look fred, I don't log on here to deal with people like you. Contribute something useful or get the hell out. If you think the person you are defending knows what he's talking about most of the time keep in mind you said yourself, "Dont know much about heat and coolinmg"

• aircooled
    17 years ago

The best way to heat a garage is with radiant heaters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heater Shop

• blacknumber1
    17 years ago

This thread needs to die.

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

I didn't open this can of worms but I agree with you totally blacknumber1.

• fred1944
    17 years ago

"i didnt open this can of worms"...

but i want everyone to look above and just review other posts and now tell me who talks like thye walk on water and makes others appear small...for what purpose...

"the messiah from texas" as above, dont worry virgin, i can guarantee you ecveryone in this site knows your an assshole..

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

Could it be that fred and bob brown are romantically involved???? Hmmmm, hey fred, what can brown do for you??
    :-)

• pjb999
    17 years ago

Mr HVAC wrote:

"pjb999, I've got a question 4 U. Do you like to travel? Then you go right ahead and keep on painting in your closed garage with and electric heater going and there's a very change you will! Who knows where you'll land though!"

OK I should have clarified that. The only type of spray painting I'm going to be doing, is with water-based paints and an airless sprayer.....and the heater's turned off before I start, and not turned back on til the overspray settles....but thanks for asking. I certainly wouldn't use or recommend the setup with any types of paint that posed a fire/explosion hazard.

As for all the hoo-hah, Crikey! Play nicely, you lot.

• mr_havac
    17 years ago

OK pjb999, you didn't strike me as someone who would paint with an open flame present,, but then again you "are" from Canada!!! LOL, just kidding. So,,,what the hell is Crikey?

• pjb999
    17 years ago

Crikey? Strewth mate. Haven't you heard the late Crocodile Hunter say it? It's a bit like "golly" and is kind of twee, which is why I like it I guess....I was born in Ontario but have lived in Australia and New Zealand since 1974, moving back to Canada only last year....so I kind of picked up a lot of sayings....

If you want mad and eccentric, you can't go past a kiwi- NZ'er....

Take this for example: http://www.asciimation.co.nz/beer/

Or this guy: http://www.interestingprojects.com/cruisemissile/

Aussies have their mad inventors too, but they're not half a patch on the Kiwis, who have produced some brilliant export earners with their innovation. Personally, I think it's the Scottish Engineer influence (lots of the early European settlers in NZ were Scots)

Here is a link that might be useful: THE JET POWERED BEER COOLER

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio