SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irislover7b

primer and paint not sticking to old window sash

irislover7b
17 years ago

The house is about 80 years old. It's on the inside of the window. I scraped the loose paint off. I don't have the primer here in front of me, but I think it was low odor oil base Kilz. And it was a new can. I painted with Pittsburgh interior/exterior gloss acrylic latex, I think it was called (it's not right here, either). That was about two months ago. Now I've noticed the new primer and paint is peeling in the same spots the old paint had peeled. In those spots, the old paint came off completely, and the wood was dry and gray looking. That was the first window I've done, and it's a small one in the pantry, so it's not that big a deal. Before I paint the inside of the large windows in the rest of the house, I'd like to know what I need to do to get the primer to stick to the wood. All of the windows look weathered on the bottom sections of the lower sashes. I've never had a problem with interior paint peeling from unweathered wood, cement block, OSB, drywall or anything else I've painted.

Comment (1)