SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbelle_gw

need puppy potty training advice

lbelle
16 years ago

We have a 1 1/2 year old beagle mix which we crate trained as a puppy. He's great. He loves other dogs at the dog park, so we got a new puppy for a companion for him. We got another mutt who is just adorable, probably a border collie/jack russel and many other guesses mix. He must have bee "caught" because he is shy and backs off when he hears and sees you say "come here" in that high voice we use. He also freaks if you grab his collar in a certain way. He's about 12 weeks old. He is also in the crate at night and at times during the day. He does great at not going potty in the crate, and also knows his "spot" outside to go. However, he is not getting the connection to not go inside, or to let us know that he has to go outside. We've had him almost two weeks.

The problem, I think, is the other dog. They love each other and always want to play. The other problem is that I have a large "open" type home. Taking out the pup after eating , sleeping and playing means that he's only not outside going potty when he's crated. So, he goes after 5 minutes to 15, to 30 minutes after being outside! I can't seem to catch him in the act- he just stands and goes pee. I think he may have had to go in a crate or cage at some point. There are few , if any , warning signs. Not like my other pup.

So, any ideas what I can do? If I leash him to me, he'll be pulling, distracted by wanting to get to the other dog. Should I keep him crated except for a 10 minute play session with my other dog a few times a day? Having the two dogs play and be with each other is so cute and enjoyable for them. But, is it too distracting for the pup to learn his potty training. Any advise from those who may have gone through this?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths