SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceciley13

So frustrated w/ paint colors! (x posted on HD forum)

ceciley13
14 years ago

I don't know what it is about the lighting my living room, but paint colors seem to just morph into something weird when I put them on my walls. I don't get hardly any natural lighting, and the main light in the room is a ceiling fan. Could it be the kind of bulbs?

I have tried all these colors that people rave about on here, but they don't look anything like I hear them described once they are on MY walls. We started out looking for a neutral gray/green color. I didn't want boring "builders beige". I tried BM Cheyenne Green, and Spanish Olive, and Behr Spartin Stone. I liked all three, but felt they were a bit dark for the room, since I get almost NO natural light. (to the point where I find myself turning on the lights even in the middle of a sunny day). So then I tried BM Flowering Herbs, which looked so beautiful on some of the posts I have seen on here. It came out looking yellow. Green, but with a very definate yellow tint to it. It was not at all pretty.

So, I got frustrated and decided to so with a "safe" tan/beige color. I figured I could always go back and revisit the room after we got the rest of the house done. First I tried SW Believable Buff. Which came out tan, but again with definate yellow (almost to orange) undertones. So I decided to try lighter. I tried SW Kilim Beige and SW Wool Skein. Both came out with VERY pink undertones. DH said they looked like that color "flesh" that is in a crayola crayon box. And he's kinda right.

The last color I have tried is SW Softer Tan..... it is OK. I might go with it, just because it is the least bad, and I am getting so fed up! But it still isn't exciting me.

Any ideas or suggestions? I just can't figure out what is going on. To complicate things even more. DH hates yellow. I don't know why, but he does. So I am trying to stay away from things with yellow undertones.

Comment (1)