SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

What type of light fixture would you put above this sink?

theresse
14 years ago

It's a 1913 house and I'm trying to make it somewhat period. The cardboard "faucet" you see in the link below has similar dimensions as the faucet I think I may get, which is this one:

http://www.jaclo.com/products/detail?pid=796&cid=123#

Although I'd probably get the black ceramic levers like these, instead of the wheel style:

http://www.jaclo.com/products/detail?pid=779#

Well it won't be above the sink you see in the link I have at the bottom here...it will be above the sink that will go in its place soon, which will be the ubiquitous Shaws 30" farm sink w/ apron front. The countertop will be stainless and I'm hoping the stainless will have more of an old-fashioned feel w/ a little time and patina, combined w/ all the old original cupboards and an old fashioned faucet too (and 2x6 subway white calacatta marble backsplash). My latest thought about color is that having white cupboards and generally white backsplash, I'll get some pop from black accessories as well as maybe one other color such as red, orange, or maybe peaches or pinks.

Would you do recessed or pendant? One hanging light or two in one unit? What type of style? I live 10 minutes from Rejuvenation House Parts so maybe something from there? Most of the lighting in the house is still original and based on Rejuvenation's pictures/words I'd say my lighting is all colonial revival even though it's a craftsman style house.

http://www.rejuvenation.com/collections/Colonial_Revival_Lighting.html

Their "period basics" page seems to show the type of lights most people use in kitchens.

My sink area (can you make the photo larger on your computer?!):

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink area

Comments (20)

• jb1176
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I kind of like the craftsman style - perhaps a billiard pendant - in chrome or similar finish. Your picture shows a wide space - double window and appears as though it could handle a 30-36" wide fixture which would give ample light over the sink area

• profrip
    14 years ago

Not too clear what sizes of sink/ceilings you have.
    Are you keeping current cabinet hardware (black)?

A brief review of lights on Rejuvenation suggested to me

Creston in brushed or polished nickel to coordinate with faucet and "other" stainless appliances? Might be too small, but it has 2 lights.

If you want a "classic" the porcelain black base Mathison with shade as shown. I think it would look terrific.

Pick what you like the most. If your ceilings are 10 feet
    or so, you might want to consider a pendant on chain or pole. The big advantage of the Rejuvenation site is that they custom fix the length for you. (Should I expect a cardboard pendant? :-)) Don't rule out a "real" antique if you have time to shop for it.

Good luck.

• Related Discussions

What type of window treatment would you put on this window?

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't have pictures of our ancient MB, but I noticed that yours seems to be close to your neighbors. I am a fanatic about privacy, so I had wooden blinds installed on the large window in our MB. They've been up for 15 years and when we remodel later this year, we'll have new blinds. Am very satisfied with blinds, as they give almost total light control and can be adjusted for any privacy condition that one needs. If I were putting blinds above your tub, I'd add a valance or scarf or tie-back curtains to soften the look. If you're thinking about curtains or other fabric treatments, you might have a look at countrycurtains dot com. They have a great selection of looks and their prices are very, very reasonable (and their customer service is excellent). At the very least you'll be able to see lots of window treatments, from contemporary to ultra-feminine. Could I ask you about your shower? We're also probably going to install a drop-in. Where did you get yours, and what are its dimensions, height and width?
    ...See More

What type of light do you have above your kitchen sink?

Q

Comments (8)
    If you're worried about yanking out the valance, just get a new fluorescent fixture. My old kitchen had one of those with the plastic sheet over a very retro tube and it was nasty yellow but otherwise a great fixture. New diffuser and new bulbs (and maybe new fixture to get modern fluorescent bulbs) can make a big difference. It's actually a pretty good system as far as useful lighting goes, although there is no decorative element involved. I skipped the valance after the remodel and put in a surface mount can sort of fixture (still fluorescent); in a more traditional kitchen I would have (and have) done a pendant because they're fun. You can pretty much put in anything with good lighting that won't hang low enough to bonk your noggin. Get something that makes you smile. With good output.
    ...See More

what style of light would you put here?

Q

Comments (0)
    I could use some advice on what type of lighting to use in our entry way and the tiny hall leading to the kitchen. I need help with kitchen lighting too! We are presently getting quotes for new cabinets, pendant lighting over the peninsula etc. I've learned a lot here on Houzz, but lighting still vexes me. Should all the lighting fixtures on a main floor be in the same finish? All answers welcome if you have a sec. Thanks and have a great day!
    ...See More

Help with light fixture finish in kitchen above sink

Q

Comments (30)
    Hi Nessa S, Ever consider glass lighting. Here are some other ideas for your space. All our products are completely customizable and we offer FREE DESIGN SERVICES so we can make suggestions and measure everything out for you. Let us know how we can help. www.galileelighting.com | 305-807-8711
    ...See More
  • vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Just my suggestion on the lamp. Your kitchen is beautiful.

{{gwi:1693284}}

• jbax
    14 years ago

I agree with Vamp. That would be a great fixture.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jb1176 - I like those billiard lights! I wonder if they're too long for that space though. While there are indeed two windows, there also seems to be a certain amount of modesty that's required (though bye bye modesty, if I get that faucet!). But if I could find one that's not a very large one it might be okay?

I wonder how big a deal it would be do have a fixture w/ a square base (the part that screws into the ceiling) instead of round, when it appears every original light fixture in the house has round ones. Is that just nit-picking?

profrip - Not sure what the height of ceiling is but it's very tall, and the sink is now and will be 30" wide though the 2 windows are wider.

Here's a photo of facing the sink/windows so you can see how wide things are approximately, although I've cut off the ceiling, sorry:

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/02/fake_cardboard_faucet_front_vi.html?cat=kitchens

One of the optional 4 ways (!) into this small kitchen requires walking through what has been called a nook at the back of the house (which can be entered from the back end of the long living room). We use it as an office (it also has a door in it which leads to the basement stairs) but its built-ins suggest it was definitely used as a proper nook in the old days. It has a coved ceiling from which an original two-light oval "shower" style ceiling fixture hangs. It's very similar to this one from Rejuvenation:

http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixbshowC812/templates/displayer.phtml

I noticed that fixture is the same exact fixture - or so it appears - as the Creston light fixture that you recommended from there, only its longer version. My ceilings are so high that the longer version seems it would be more appropriate (?). I was wondering if I should have the fixture that's almost identical moved into the space above the sink (it has to be refinished anyway since it was painted over years ago, so it could be turned to polished nickel for example), and just replace it with something else for now since we're not using it as a nook, but an office. ??

I love the idea of a nook but I prefer nooks for breakfast - not dinner - and ours faces West and is not a comfortable size for a family of 5 unless we had one of those built-in booths installed ($$$$). But even so, the room is like detention in that it's cut off from the rest of the world. You can't see the living room or the kitchen from there. You just pass through part of the room to get from the living room to the kitchen.

I LOVE that Mathison light w/ it's black stripes, however the date says 1932-1942. I don't mind fudging a bit on the dates but that's quite a distance from 1913...but also it's not long enough I think since the ceiling's so high. :(
    Anyway that would look incredible with that faucet.

Thank you for reminding me not to forget shopping for a real antique! They're about the same price as Rejuvenation so why wouldn't one want something authentic?! Our Rejuvenation store here has antiques as well as reproductions, and then another awesome store very near by called Hippo Hardware also has a TON of antique light fixtures. http://www.hippohardware.com/index.htm?lmd=40187.710880

Thanks!

vampiressrn - that seems like a pretty appropriate light. I really like it. I just found it on the Rejuvenation site, and also found some more interesting ones while there! I don't really trust my own sense of style yet when it comes to details like lighting but I was drawn to these ones anyway...

http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshowC213/templates/selection.phtml?ref=1

http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixbshowC465/templates/displayer.phtml

http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshowC543/templates/selection.phtml
    (the above one has lots of great shade options)

http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshowC281/templates/selection.phtml?n=v&custom_code=v6d7&&custom_code=v6d7&newC281[10FINISH]=C281BK

http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshowC835/templates/selection.phtml

http://www.rejuvenation.com/fixshowC485/templates/selection.phtml?n=v&&custom_code=zfqr&test=url&newC485[15SHADE]=RECHOOSETHIS&page=all

Thank you for saying my kitchen is beautiful! Ok I guess it's time I asked what you (or anyone who's said they like it) like about it?! Is it the upper cupboards?

• prill
    14 years ago

this place has some great turn of the century lights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turn of the Century LIghting

• profrip
    14 years ago

Powel would be a nice choice.

I think you have to feel that the style fits, but I don't believe that the light has to be actually from exactly the period--after all, they renovated even at the turn of the century!
    You might like to see my kitchen light

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique kitchen light

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

prill - thanks for the link! I looked through them all and saved the site.

profrip - when you wrote that Powel would be a nice choice, did you mean the way I showed it w/ the link above, or in general? I altered that finish and the shade (was having fun w/ how orange picked up the orange in the wood floors and how a black finish would go w/ the faucet)?

I agree the light doesn't really have to be from exactly that period...I just think it's nice to try. YOUR light fixture is GORGEOUS I must say! I've never seen one like that! I really, really love it. Do you live in N.Y.? I hope you're not offended when I say that I've never seen a kitchen so (seemingly) small! That must be a challenge - either that or the picture/perspective just made it seem smaller. On the other hand there are 5 of us and when the 4 others come into my space in the kitchen (12x14) I think I'm about to have a nervous breakdown! So point is, I could handle smaller if I had a way to keep others out. ;) I've never been in a NY apt. but have always heard they're tiny.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I did get that pic from Rejuvenation...and those are great lamps you chose too. I like the Skidmore & Powell. One thing you need to decide is if you want an exposed or covered light-bulb. They cast different types of light. Before you buy, you should go to a lighting store to check out what feels best for you.

I tend to like covered bulbs. It is a softer light, but can be a PIA to change the light-bulb and you need to be careful not to break the cover in the process. My 91-year old Mom comes to stay with me a couple of times a year and she like a direct light, so I put exposed bulbs (even in the overhead fan) for her. She bought me a beautiful double-headed reading light for my family room, I have low wattage in it, but it is pretty intense for me...she loves it. Determine what amount of light you need for the task and play around with any current lights you have in that area to help you in your final decision.

I love your kitchen because I am partial to the whites and your cabinets look very timely along with your white tile and hardware. If you get a chance please post a couple of more pictures of the rest of it. I love the high cabinets and windows too. It has a nice vintage look to it.

• profrip
    14 years ago

I meant in general. On that fixture (not seeing it in person of course) I like the silver better. The black is matte and I don't see that as going with the rest of your kitchen. I looked at various shades. There are lots of nice choices. Being a somewhat eclectic person myself, I kind of liked the funnel shaped clear shades. I like the squarish shades shown with my original suggestion. Given that your sink is 30" and this total fixture is only 14" wide, you might want to think about shades with maximum width at bottom. If you have some craftsman style elements, I rather liked the "stained" glass shade but it looked too small for your space. Of course you can buy an antique shade and the renovation fixture, if you find a pair of shades you like elsewhere.

Yes, my apartment is in NYC. Plan for renovation is to move kitchen wall 18" out, so my kitchen will be slightly bigger, therefore allowing an 18" dishwasher!

Not completely in stone yet, but the opening through which you see the light (from the living/dining room, may not have any wall to the left side, or perhaps a column.
    Despite its small size, this L-shaped kitchen is very functional in terms of working. Less functional in terms of storage. I'm using the renovation as an excuse to do some serious editing of kitchen tools. Many of my pans are copper and stainless and are stored on the wall rather than in cabinets. Nonetheless I have a large wok and steamer that I have owned for 30+ years, a pasta roller/cutter,
    cuisinart, scale, plenty of serving dishes, etc and can put on a pretty fantastic dinner party for 6-8.

We New Yorkers are used to making do with less space.
    I have lived many other places at earlier times and have had plenty of good sized kitchens, but the food produced doesn't suffer in NY. :-)

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

vampiressrn - those are all great suggestions, thank you so much! That's a tough one, deciding about exposed vs. not. Hmmm... I think I'd like covered too, but I wouldn't really know because I avoid overhead lighting like the plague. Hate it. But it's still necessary in there. The one we have hanging in the center of the room (very cheap and not sure what decade it represents) is exposed and I just can't stand having that light on. It's not the brightness per se that upsets me - I just feel the room isn't cozy...so yeah maybe it is the brightness.

I love Rejuvenation. They're about a 10 minute or less drive from my house and I also love their cafe (the BEST food and coffee) and they even have a great child play area under their enormous stairs which keeps my twin toddlers happy for long enough to let me at least get *some* work done there. ;) It's like Disney Land for grown ups. It's funny to read all the names of the lamps cause they're named mostly after all the streets of Portland.

Your mother sounds sweet. :)

Thank you for explaining why you like my kitchen. It has embarrassed me for ages but I do like the tall original cupboards. Never thought much about the windows just because the house is filled with the old windows but I agree that they create a lovely centerpiece opportunity being between the tall cupboards. As for the white tile, I had an amateur install that in the year 2000 and it's broken in several places...and I did it in such a hurry and with so little money (obviously) that I just kept the pinkish colored backsplash that had been installed in the 60's or 70's (but it's the same square tile size-wise). Square tile was so "yesterday" - haha - when I had that installed (I've always been behind when it comes to decorating and fashion in general) so I guess that's also what embarrassed me...but when I think of the context of arts and crafts, it's not so bad. Oh the potential of that kitchen, with a little money and a FABULOUS designer!

Here's one other pic I have of the wall to the left of the counter wall (counter wall faces North, this wall faces West):

Here is a link that might be useful: This pic shows the ugly cheap light in center of room

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

WOW!!! I love that wall of cabinets all built in with the door. I don't think builders nowadays even think of that type of a set up. It is so nice and I think it is awesome that you are staying with the original style of the home and yet your upgrades are very complementary. I could easily see either the black or the chrome/brushed nickel would be a good fit for your kitchen.

profrip "I have lived many other places at earlier times and have had plenty of good sized kitchens, but the food produced doesn't suffer in NY."....so true. I have never been to NY, but know you have some fabulous cuisine there. And you are so right on...it's not the kitchen or the pans or the stove...it's the cook!!!

I am not a great cook, but I do have a nice kitchen that makes me feel happy to be in, so that is an inspiration to me to be a better cook. Whether you live in a trailer, an apartment, a boat, a castle or whatever...decor is so important in making you feel at home. Kitchens tend to be the gathering place for many families and even social events, so making it user friendly in looks and function is important. Bottom line, Theresse...you have an awesome kitchen, so buy the light that speaks to your heart...you have been doing great so far. :-)

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

profrip -

I agree about the black matte not going in my kitchen (well, besides w/ the hardware which may only be temporary - not sure yet).

Aahhh what I wouldn't give to live in New York (to be able to afford to live in New York!!)...just to eat in New York...just to visit New York! The only time I was there I was about 12 or 13 and was visiting an aunt in Middletown NY who took me to the ballet (we went with her friends, in a limo no less - how cheesy!) and then we went to Sardi's for ice scream. NY's called to me my whole life like it calls to so many but alas...I guess it's not in the cards. Waaaa! :( I hope to at least get to visit once my kids are older and I have SOME sort of real career established (dropped out of the masters program I'd started when I got pregnant), and my bachelors is pretty useless. I have ridiculous, romantic, Woody Allen type notions about it. I'm sure reality will be a nice big (though still very welcome) shock! I'd love to visit in the Fall or Spring.

Your kitchen plans sound great. And w/ that L shape you probably have more function in your space than we do in ours. Just that little bit you're adding on will help a WHOLE lot I'm sure. I know it would w/ my kitchen. The column sounds nice. I too will be going from no dishwasher to dishwasher and can't wait for that long-overdo, life-altering appliance to arrive. I think we're going to name ours "Uncle ______" cause we have a friend who's more like family and he's very, very poor (off the grid) and comes over to do our dishes and hang out with us and get a little money for doing so...but Uncle _____ (respecting his privacy even though he'd never in a million years be on this forum!) has been making lots of jokes about how our new dishwasher is going to replace him! He has a great sense of humor and he knows we'll still have plenty of work around the house for him but I thought it would be funny to put a big picture of his face on the new dishwasher.

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

vampiressrn - Thank you! I do love that wall w/ all the cupboards...but someday when I win the lottery I'd like to tear the wall out to expand into the mudroom and half-bath behind it, and replace all that darkness w/ the light from the back yard w/ french doors. But I don't want to lose the original features so I thought I'd have cabinets rebuilt and we could keep the doors and move them to the new location which would be back further and then to the left (so the cupboards would then face North instead of facing East as they do now, if that makes sense). We'd unfortunately lose the nice lose the way the door fits in with it all but I can't see a way around that.

I did however come up w/ a funky idea that might be *too* funky but it's fun to imagine: you know that little window above the door? I forget what they're called. Well instead of forcing the new (in my dreams) expanded kitchen to look like one big space as if it always has been one big space, we could go to a store that has a bunch more of those upper windows (antiques) and put them in a line going from where that upper window is now, and to the left...all along that dividing wall. A bunch of them - but with different-colored glass panes maybe. So it would sort of create a nook/eating area that's clearly separate but in a fun way. Just a thought...

• profrip
    14 years ago

Now that I see you have a "middle of the room pendant"
    I'd definitely go for the 2 small pendants over the sink.
    That is what I'm doing in my bathroom.

You may not like the pendant, but I'm amused that it is the funnel shape I liked for over the sink! but probably too modern for the look you are going for.

As you can see I have a covered bottom on my antique light but it is open to the top. It is really producing an ambient light. The "thick" bottom shade blocks alot of light.
    Thus, the light is not very energy efficient because everthing is either through that shade or reflected off the ceiling. The bulb (200W) has to be frosted -- with clear bulb there are shadows on the ceiling from the fixture itself.

Nonetheless I love it and it is staying in the remodel. I'm hoping with the undercounter lights (that I don't have now) I will be loving how well I can see.

My contractor is pushing for recessed too. I could be open to this as wall washers on my beautiful new cabinets and one bare wall (with hanging pots) but because the kitchen is so small, I'm not sure that this is going to work. 25 to 30 inches from the counter is the center of the room! I think I'm going to have to talk to a real lighting person.

Come to NYC anytime. We always love visitors and contrary to reputation, New Yorkers are generally friendly to and helpful to tourists--a little less patient with fellow New Yorkers. Christmas is absolutely wonderful--so much free stuff to do and see though the weather is unpredictable.

I first came to NYC at Christmas at 13. Went to see the Nutcracker and remember in particular the 5th Ave Public Library guarded by its stone lions in the snow, subway tokens, the smell of roasting chestnuts and the Staten Island Ferry.

• profrip
    14 years ago

You've probably moved on from this issue but...
    I happened to see this kitchen with its rejuvenation lights
    and thought of you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting kitchen

• theresse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry all - I let this thread slip through the cracks while I've been busy or else concentrating on other things!

Profrip - The middle of the room pendant that i have now isn't meant to be anything too permanent. I do love that disc/flying saucer look - whether it's turn of century or 1950's diner. I guess it reminds me of the funky huge red one my mom had in our bright yellow and red and orange Matisse-inspired kitchen in the 1970's! But that particular pendant in my kitchen was cheap and too modern (not that I mind inexpensive)!

So am I correct to assume then that the general idea is that if you have a pendant or two above the sink, it's generally good to have recessed in the center of the room or else the opposite? Generally speaking? I wish I knew how long I'll keep that pot hanger in the center of the room above the island. I know most people don't do that now but it IS very convenient. I thought I could get rid of it and get the wall pot hanger style to put next to my stove, thereby freeing up the center of the room more...but if I move the stove where I might move it, there will no longer be a wall just to the side of it as there is now...in which case the pot hanger would have to go on the wall behind the counter to the right of the stove which I imagine would mean I'd have to reach over a ways? Plus another convenience of it being in the center of the room is that it's close to the sink for filling w/ water. Those w/ pot-filling faucets wouldn't have to worry about that, obviously, but I don't have one! Where did they put pots in 1913 I wonder? On an open shelf? On a wall hanger? I know a few hundred years ago they went over the island.

It sounds like talking to a real lighting person would be a good idea for your space. Have you done that since you last posted here?

Thank you for the warm welcome to NYC! :) I somehow believe you that New Yorkers would be perfectly nice to strangers. Well, what do I know! I love your description of your earliest memories of it. Someday...I'm determined...someday!

As for that last link you posted: I think those lights are kid of strange! The row of them in the background is just a bit odd to me - but there are some things I really like about that kitchen. EVERY SINGLE TIME I see wooden counters I drool. I love the look of American cherry but it's too soft, and all the hard woods I could find were either too light to me or else too red - or else too stripy - or both. The nice brown woods w/ just a hint of red/orange, e.g. Pacific Madrone, are too stripy.

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm baaaaack! ;)

I have a couple of new pics and thought I'd ask for more light suggestions or at least w/ these pics in mind (?).

Ok so they did the demo, so we're getting closer and I'm getting back into the whole light fixture thing! I thought I'd share a picture showing where the [admittedly ubiquitous] Shaw's farm sink will go, and in the same pic you'll see the cluttered ceiling in the center of the room (room is only about 12.5 x 14' big). I need advice on what type of fixture should replace the one I currently have in the center (the pot rack may come down altogether) and then what type of light would go well with the center light, only over the sink.

FYI here's what that wall/kitchen will look like otherwise (cupboards pretty much staying the same, or possibly painted off-white - and will probably still have the black hardware): Jaclo Steam Valve Original wall-mounted gooseneck faucet, coming out of the white honed marble subway tiled backsplash, and a stainless steel counter. FYI our island countertop which is currently stainless (and has served us WELL!) will be replaced with edge-grain butcher block so as to not have stainless overkill! The only stainless appliance - on opposite side of the room - will be our new Samsung french door fridge, and then for a kind of balance (and again, avoiding stainless overkill), we're keeping the fridge white for now as well as are getting an integrated dishwasher (w/ white cupboard door look) to go under that stainless counter. The walls will probably get painted something brighter, like a cherry/rose-ish red or a peacock blue or a muted, greyish purple or some sort of orange or an intensely deep olive green or something like that. Or not...but those are the types of ideas of the moment. It's a dark, North-facing kitchen so maybe I should keep it light however the white cupboards need some contrast me thinks...

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Light advice requested...here's my ceiling!

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's another one of the kitchen. The stainless island top will be replaced w/ butcher block and the floors will be refinished (either that bright orangey color that the fir naturally does or else a very dark finish to hide more of the imperfections. This will be the last sanding the floor can take).

I'd love to be able to afford to knock down that mudroom wall but alas...no time soon! What iS nice is that all those cupboards (not the lower ones on the demolished wall) are the original 1913 cupboards. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Showing more of kitchen

• theresse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Last but not least: here's the original light fixture hanging in our separate nook (it's not attached to the kitchen but you have to walk through the nook to get to the kitchen if coming from the living room)...I'm wondering if it would be appropriate in my kitchen, and if so, where and paired with what other light (as I need a total of two light fixtures in the kitchen)?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: The original light fixture hanging in the separate