SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

Please post your great 'dinner party' recipes

meg711
14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm trying to step out of my comfort zone and entertain more. The problem is that I don't have that many "go to" recipes. One time, many years ago, I made a delicious tuna recipe but it required so much last-minute hands on work that I didn't really get to leave the kitchen much. It also did not work for a large number of people because by the time I plated the last plates, the first plates were already cold.

I was hoping that the great cooks here could contribute their successful dinner party recipes: those that work well for around eight to ten people, and that don't require much fussing at the end. I'll start by posting a link to the recipe for Apricot and Currant Chicken from the Silver Palate cookbook.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Apricot and Currant Chicken

Comments (10)

• caliloo
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've got 2 that I seem to make over and over again in the fall.... Boeuf Bourgignon and Jessy's Aunt Sadies Chicken. Now if I recall, it really isn't Jessy's Aunt Sadie, but Jessy is the one that posted the recipe ages ago so she is permanently linked to it in my mind. Tee Hee. However, both spend quite a bit of time in the oven, so it frees me up for last minute side dishes or just chatting with friends.

Bouef Bourguignon

3/4 cup diced salt pork or bacon
    3 lbs lean stew beef cut into 1 inch chunks
    1/4 cup brandy
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp pepper
    1 ½ cups dry red wine
    1 tbsp butter
    2 med onions coarsely chopped
    1 med carrot chopped into small bits
    3 garlic cloves smashed
    bouquet garni
    1 lb mushrooms quartered
    ½ lb pearl onions peeled

In a Dutch oven (or heavy lidded oven safe pot) cook the bacon until crisp. Dust the meat with seasoned flour and brown the meat in batches in the hot fat until each piece is dark brown. Remove all meat and set it aside.

Add the onions and carrots to the Dutch oven and sauté until softened, scraping up browned bits of meat. Add all the meat back into the Dutch oven. Pour brandy over the meat and flame. When the flame dies down, add the salt, pepper and red wine, carrot, garlic, bouquet garni and enough water (or stock) to cover.

Bake in preheated 350 oven for about 2 hours until meat is very tender and sauce is dark brown. Add the mushrooms and pearl onion and return to the oven for about 45 Â 60 minutes.

Jessy's Aunt Sadie Chicken
    Ingredients for Marinade:
    1/2 cup light olive oil
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    3 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
    1 head garlic, diced
    Salt and pepper to taste
    4 sprigs fresh oregano, chopped
    1 cup pitted black olives, halved
    8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    3 bay leaves
    8 shallots, diced
    2 Tbs. olive oil
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, halved
    Two 16-ounce cans artichokes, halved and drained
    1 cup red wine
    Preparation:
    In a bowl, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, oregano and halved black olives. Pour over chicken breasts in baking dish and top with 3 bay leaves. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerator overnight.
    After chicken has marinated overnight, saute diced shallots in 2 tablespoons olive oil and drizzle over chicken. Add light brown sugar, halved sun-dried tomatoes and halved and drained artichokes. Pour red wine over all and bake in 350-degree oven for an hour.

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Oh, fun! I love having parties. We're having a spaghetti party (sort of a Godfather theme) Dec 5. Not very elegant this time, but I think it will be a ton of fun.

I don't suppose you want recipes for spaghetti and meatballs, but I'm posting to urge you on....to have fun at your party!

The best tip I can give you is to allow yourself enough time. Clean the house the week before..the morning of the party just a quick vacuuming and a bathroom cleaning and you're done. No one will notice anything but the food. Cook as much as you can the day before, and have lots of food.

• Related Discussions

Please post your Breakfast Casserole recipe!

Q

Comments (18)
    This is an Amish Breakfast Casserole recipe I found on Allrecipes.com. I've made it a lot and passed the recipe along to friends who also like it. Original recipe makes 12 servings 1 pound sliced bacon, diced 1 medium sweet onion, chopped 6 eggs, lightly beaten 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese 1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese 1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese Directions In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
    ...See More

Dinner tonight - please post your favorite Taco soup recipe

Q

Comments (9)
    I have a couple of suggestions..... Chicken Chili from Ina Prep Time: 15 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 1 hr 45 min Level: Easy Serves: 6 servings 4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions) 1/8 cup good olive oil, plus extra for chicken 1/8 cup minced garlic (2 cloves) 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced 2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded, and large-diced 1 teaspoon chili powder 1 teaspoon ground cumin 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for chicken 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes in puree, undrained 1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves 4 split chicken breasts, bone in, skin on Freshly ground black pepper For serving: Chopped onions, corn chips, grated cheddar, sour cream Cook the onions in the oil over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt. Cook for 1 minute. Crush the tomatoes by hand or in batches in a food processor fitted with a steel blade (pulse 6 to 8 times). Add to the pot with the basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked. Let cool slightly. Separate the meat from the bones and skin and cut it into 3/4-inch chunks. Add to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes. Serve with the toppings, or refrigerate and reheat gently before serving. ****************************************************** Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup Place in crockpot 2 or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves. You can easily skip the sour cream and cheese. Without draining anything, combine in bowl: 2 (15oz) cans black beans 1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce 2 (15 oz) cans Mexican stewed tomatoes (or Rotel) 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies 1 cup salsa, your preference as to strength Pour over chicken and cook on low 8 hours. Just before serving, remove chicken, shred it, and stir it back into the soup. Stir in: 1 can Niblets corn Heat just long enough to get corn and chicken hot. Serve topped with cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips. Or put the chips in the bowl first and ladle soup on top. Either way, YUMMY and so easy!
    ...See More

LOOKING for: What is your favorite quick dinner recipe?

Q

Comments (23)
    Kim, you really should explore the world of seafood, as it is ideal for fast meal prep. The whole secret with cooking shrimp, scallops, and other shellfish is to make sure you don't overcook it. But the particular critter usually gives you a clue. Shrimp turns pink when it's done. Scallops turn opaque. Clams and oysters curl at the edges. The hard ones are calamari and abalone. But even they give you clues. To clean shrimp you need to remove the shells and the mud vein that runs down the back. This can be done before or after cooking, depending on recipes. Hint: Shrimp cooked in their shells are more flavorful. There are special tools for prepping shrimp. But a regular table fork works just as well. Stick one tine into the shell from the head end, pointing into the mud vein. Then push the shrimp onto the tine. The shell and vein will pop right off. If you look at the Nuts & Bolts thread I've posted a simple recipe for Shrimp & Sausage Carbonade that you might want to try. Finned fishes, too, can broaden your choices. Fish does not require a long cooking time in any recipe (the rule of thumb is to cook ten minutes for each inch of thickness). Virtually any cooking method---from poaching to deep fying, baking to barbecuing---can be used for fish cookery.
    ...See More

Need a new location for your next dinner party? Try this

Q

Comments (38)
    I'm in TN, and I will say I have never gotten a leech or even seen a leech in a creek. I'm not sure what the water temp would be in that area would be. I am close to the Smoky Mountains and the creek water is cold. However, right now with our hot temps (94 yesterday), it would feel wonderful. We often take a lawn chair and sit in the creek this time of year. In fact, we haven't done that in a while and thanks to BBSTX, now I want to!! I will go barefoot in a calm, pooled area, but you don't want to do that otherwise. Water can be fast moving in areas and rocks are slippery.
    ...See More
  • cookingrvc
    14 years ago

Here are a few of my favorites...

This is quite simple. I changed it only slightly by cutting the loin roast into double chops so that all gets nice and tender from the braising. I have also started it on the stove and done most of the cooking in the oven, partially covered.

I also swirl some cream into the final, nutty, lumpy sauce and whisk it to form a smooth gravy.

Milk-Braised Pork Gourmet : February 1999

In this simple recipe, an adaptation of Italian cooking legend Marcella Hazan's Bolognese-style pork loin braised in milk, the meat acquires a delicate texture and flavor and the milk slowly evolves into a rich sauce of golden curds. Don't be put off by its homely appearance!
    Yield: Serves 4 to 6
    ingredients
    a 2 1/2-pound piece boneless pork shoulder (do not trim fat)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 cups whole milk
    preparation

Pat pork dry and season with salt and pepper. In a 4-quart heavy kettle heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown pork on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Carefully add milk and cook pork, covered, at a bare simmer 2 hours. Continue to cook pork, partially covered, at a bare simmer until very tender, about 1 hour. Transfer pork to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes. Season cooking liquid generously with salt and pepper and boil until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.

Thinly slice pork and transfer to a platter. Skim fat from cooking liquid and spoon liquid over pork.

=======================================================
    I am not a big fan of blue cheese, but this is good. I use the Cave Treasure blue found in most grocery stores. It is nice and mild.

Tenderloin of Beef with Blue Cheese and Herb Crust
    (Weight Watchers)

2 slice(s) white bread, crusts removed, toasted
    3 Tbsp blue cheese, crumbled
    2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
    2 Tbsp chives, fresh,chopped
    1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
    1/2 cup(s) wine sauce, or prepared demi-glace*
    2 Tbsp wine, Madeira
    1 spray(s) cooking spray
    1 tsp vegetable oil
    12 oz raw lean beef tenderloin, center-cut (four 3-oz medallions)
    Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Crumble the toast into a bowl and blend to a coarse paste with the blue cheese, parsley, chives, and pepper.

To prepare the Madeira sauce, combine the wine sauce and Madeira in a small saucepan. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and keep hot.

Spray the rack of a roasting pan with nonstick spray. Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Swirl in the oil, and then carefully wipe the pan with a paper towel to absorb the excess. Sear the medallions until just browned, about 1 minute per side.

Arrange the medallions on the roasting rack. Coat the top side of each medallion with the blue cheese mixture. Roast until the crust is golden-brown and the meat is done to taste, 34 minutes for medium-rare. Serve the medallions on a pool of warm wine sauce.

*Demi-glace is an intensely flavored, French sauce made from veal stock that can be purchased frozen or as a shelf-stable concentrate at well-stocked supermarkets and gourmet grocery stores. Follow package instructions to reconstitute concentrated demi-glace.

=========================================================

I love this recipe. Some think it a waste of good meat to prepare this way, but I found it outstanding.

Filet Mignon with Stroganov Sauce
    Gourmet : November 2006

Yield: Makes 4 servings
    Active Time: 10 min
    Total Time: 30 min

Ingredients
    6 oz dried egg noodles
    1 medium onion, halved lengthwise
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    4 (1 1/4-inch-thick) beef tenderloin steaks (filet mignon)
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    3/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    1/2 lb sliced white mushrooms
    1/4 cup brandy
    3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    3/4 cup sour cream

Cook noodles in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain in a colander.

Meanwhile, thinly slice onion using slicer. Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. While oil heats, pat steaks dry. Sprinkle 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper on steaks, then add to skillet and sauté, turning over once with tongs, about 6 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate with tongs.

Add onion, garlic, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper to oil in skillet and sauté, scraping up any brown bits with a wooden spoon, until onion begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring occasionally, until liquid given off by mushrooms is evaporated, about 4 minutes.

Add brandy and boil until evaporated, about 1 minute. Add broth and Worcestershire sauce, then cover and cook until onion is softened, about 4 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Toss noodles with some of sauce and serve remaining sauce over steaks.
    user notes

My Notes: Double the sauce next time.

==================================================
    Serve with fresh garlic bread and angel hair pasta and put an Italian Opera in the Cd player.

Italians differ on using grated cheese on fish dishes, but I like it so i use it!

Shrimp Parmesian
    32 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
    Your favorite pasta sauce (my quick recipe follows)
    1 lb mozzarella (I use part-skim)
    Grated Cheese (Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Reggiano)

Coat the bottom of a baking dish with some sauce (3/4 to 1 cup)
    Lay shrimp neatly in baking dish.
    Top with a little more tomato sauce.
    Place shrimp in 375° oven for 15 minutes (or until they're cooked through).
    While shrimp are cooking, slice mozzarella into slices, then sticks and place on each shrimp.
    Top with a little more sauce and put back in oven until cheese is melted nicely.

A lot of 'juice' will be released by the shrimp. I like to sop it up with Italian bread, but you can add it to the sauce to heighten the shrimp flavor.

Quick Tomato Sauce
    3-4 Tablespoons Olive oil
    3-4 Garlic cloves, chopped fine
    2 cans Redpack Crushed tomatoes
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    2 teaspoons dried basil
    salt and pepper

Heat olive oil over medium heat.
    Add garlic and saute for 3 minutes, stirring so it doesn't burn.
    Carefully add tomatoes and stir.
    Let heat then add dried herbs, salt and pepper.
    Simmer for 20 minutes.

I usually make the sauce in the afternoon to use that night; it stays fine on the stove. I just reheat 10 minutes before plating the pasta.

======================================================

I'll post some more later.

Sue

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Meg, what fun you'll have. I know several here have had soup parties and liked those a lot, serving bread, cheese, dessert and half a dozen kinds of soups.

I tend to go with something like an herbed pork roast if I'm having company. I like to serve it with twice baked potatoes because everyone seems to like those and I can make them the night before and give them the final bake right before dinner. the recipe says 15 minutes, but be sure they are heated through, it takes longer if you make them and refrigerate them before hand. The pork roast is easy and doesn't take basting or last minute fussing either.

APPLE CIDER BRINED PORK ROAST

3 cups apple cider
    3 cups water
    1 bay leaf
    ¼ cup salt
    1 tbls black peppercorns
    1 tbls coriander seeds
    1 2 lb. Pork loin, trimmed
    2 cups cider
    1 ½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary
    1 ½ tsp chopped fresh sage
    1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until salt dissolves. Remove from heat, cool, and pour into a Ziploc bag or container big enough to hold the pork loin. Add pork, seal and let marinate 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350, bring 2 cups cider to a boil over medium high heat. Boil until cider is thickened and reduced to ¼ cup, about 15 minutes. Set aside. Remove pork from bag or container and discard brine. Place pork on broiler pan or baking dish and lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining herbs and bake about 1 hour, until pork is done, basting twice with the reduced cider in the last 20 minutes of baking. Remove from oven, baste with remaining cider reduction. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Serves 8

200 calories per 4 oz. Serving, 6 grams fat

Twice Baked Potatoes

4 large baking potatoes
    8 slices bacon
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup milk
    4 tablespoons butter
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
    8 green onions, sliced, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Bake potatoes in preheated oven for 1 hour. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. When potatoes are done allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh into a large bowl; save skins. To the potato flesh add sour cream, milk, butter, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 the green onions. Mix with a hand mixer until well blended and creamy. Spoon the mixture into the potato skins. Top each with remaining cheese, green onions and bacon. Bake for another 15 minutes.

Some other choices would be CindyMac's Etouffee, a plain and very rare roasted loin of beef, or fish with Ruthanna's Tomato Basil Butter. Of course, when Sherry and Roger visited I went entirely outside the box and gave them smoked duck, LOL, and I served RiverRat's chili to Peppi and Sherry this weekend, so I'm liable to do darned near anything....

Annie

• User
    14 years ago

I'm with Alexa, don't think you can beat Beef Bourguignon for a fabulous dinner party meal. Virtually nothing to do at the last minute. Everything is done in advance except the buttered egg noodles which take no time at all to prepare.

Here is one of my "go to" company menus that always seems to please. Everything is done in advance.

Potato and Leek Soup to start
    Salad of your choice
    Beef Bourguignon over buttered egg noodles add a side of asparagus or broccoli if you feel you need it
    Creme Carmel for dessert

Potato, Leek And Stilton Soup

1 Tbsp butter
    1 shallot chopped finely
    1 cup leeks Thinly Sliced *
    1 cup potato diced
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 to 1 1/2 cups cream or 1/2 and half
    salt and pepper to taste
    pinch nutmeg
    few drops lemon juice
    2 oz stilton or other blue cheese

Melt butter, add shallot and leek cooking until soft but not browned.
    Heat the chicken stock and add to the leeks, add the potatoes. Cook until potatoes are just tender. Cool and puree in the food processor. Separately heat and reduce the cream. Stir in the blended leek mixture.
    Bring to a gentle boil. Add seasonings and lemon juice. Pour into bowls and top each with 1/2 ounce crumbled Stilton. ( I add the cheese to the actual soup with the lemon juice and seasonings)

* I only use the white and a wee bit of the green

Julia Child's Beef Bourguignon (don't be intimidated by the instructions really just a lot of words....!)

One 6-ounce piece of chunk bacon
    3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil 3 pounds lean stewing beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
    1 carrot, sliced
    1 onion, sliced
    Salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons flour
    3 cups red wine, young and full-bodied (like Beaujolais, Cotes du Rhone or Burgundy)
    2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups brown beef stock
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    2 cloves mashed garlic
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    A crumbled bay leaf
    18 to 24 white onions, small
    3 1/2 tablespoons butter
    Herb bouquet (4 parsley sprigs, one-half bay leaf, one-quarter teaspoon thyme, tied in cheesecloth)
    1 pound mushrooms, fresh and quartered

Cooking Directions

Remove bacon rind and cut into lardons (sticks 1/4-inch thick and 1 1/2 inches long). Simmer rind and lardons for 10 minutes in 1 1/2 quarts water. Drain and dry.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Sauté lardons in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a flameproof casserole over moderate heat for 2 to 3 minutes to brown lightly. Remove to a side dish with a slotted spoon.

Dry beef in paper towels; it will not brown if it is damp. Heat fat in casserole until almost smoking. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and sauté until nicely browned on all sides. Add it to the lardons.

In the same fat, brown the sliced vegetables. Pour out the excess fat.

Return the beef and bacon to the casserole and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Then sprinkle on the flour and toss again to coat the beef lightly. Set casserole uncovered in middle position of preheated oven for 4 minutes.

Toss the meat again and return to oven for 4 minutes (this browns the flour and coves the meat with a light crust).

Remove casserole and turn oven down to 325 degrees.

Stir in wine and 2 to 3 cups stock, just enough so that the meat is barely covered.

Add the tomato paste, garlic, herbs and bacon rind. Bring to a simmer on top of the stove.

Cover casserole and set in lower third of oven. Regulate heat so that liquid simmers very slowly for 3 to 4 hours. The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.

While the beef is cooking, prepare the onions and mushrooms.

Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons butter with one and one-half tablespoons of the oil until bubbling in a skillet.

Add onions and sauté over moderate heat for about 10 minutes, rolling them so they will brown as evenly as possible. Be careful not to break their skins. You cannot expect them to brown uniformly.

Add 1/2 cup of the stock, salt and pepper to taste and the herb bouquet.

Cover and simmer slowly for 40 to 50 minutes until the onions are perfectly tender but hold their shape, and the liquid has evaporated. Remove herb bouquet and set onions aside.

Wipe out skillet and heat remaining oil and butter over high heat. As soon as you see butter has begun to subside, indicating it is hot enough, add mushrooms.

Toss and shake pan for 4 to 5 minutes. As soon as they have begun to brown lightly, remove from heat.

When the meat is tender, pour the contents of the casserole into a sieve set over a saucepan.

Wash out the casserole and return the beef and lardons to it. Distribute the cooked onions and mushrooms on top.

Skim fat off sauce in saucepan. Simmer sauce for a minute or 2, skimming off additional fat as it rises. You should have about 2 1/2 cups of sauce thick enough to coat a spoon lightly.

If too thin, boil it down rapidly. If too thick, mix in a few tablespoons stock. Taste carefully for seasoning.

Pour sauce over meat and vegetables. Cover and simmer 2 to 3 minutes, basting the meat and vegetables with the sauce several times.

Serve in casserole, or arrange stew on a platter surrounded with potatoes, noodles or rice, and decorated with parsley.

Creme Carmel

1 Qt milk
    2 vanilla beans split -lengthwise or 3 tsp pure vanilla extract (I use the extract but use the good stuff)
    2 Cup sugar (divided into ½ cup-and 1 ½ cups)
    3 Tbl water
    1 Drop lemon juice or white vinegar
    8 large eggs
    4 egg yolks
    pinch salt

In large saucepan , over low heat, scald the milk with the vanilla.Remove from the heat and let steep 30 minutes. Then remove beans and discard.

Caramelize an 8 cup round baking dish. Place ½ cup of sugar, water and vinegar or lemon juice in a small sauce pan and cook over high heat until just lightly golden. Carefully pour the caramel into the baking dish, tipping the dish to ensure the bottom is all covered. Let the caramel harden.

Preheat your oven to 300.

Place the eggs, yolks , 1 ½ cups sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk together until the mixture is pale yellow and thickens (I use my KA mixer). Strain the milk mixture into the egg mixture and stir to blend (be sure the milk has cooled. Sometimes I strain the custard if I think there are any solid bits.). Pour this custard mixture into the caramelized baking dish.
    Place the baking dish in a larger dish and pour boiling water half way up the outside of the baking dish. Bake 1 ½ to 2 hours or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
    Let cook and then refrigerate until ready to serve. T serve run a knife around the edge and invert onto a deep plate. The carmel will run out an fill the dish.
    Note: I often make these in individual ramekins. Just adjust the cooking time.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Oh, there are so many things that work well for dinner parties and keep you from slaving away while your guests are having a good time!

I am definitely saving the Beef Bourguignon and Aunt Sadie's Chicken recipes to try out!

Here are a couple of my favorites.

This one is from Marilyn who used to post here years ago. She always had great recipes to share!

{{gwi:1480030}}

Chicken Cordon Bleu

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast
    1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
    4 slices Swiss cheese
    4 tablespoons butter
    4 thin sliced smoked ham
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 egg; beaten
    salt, pepper & garlic powder

Pound chicken breast to 1/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle each piece on both sides with salt and pepper. Place 1 cheese slice and 1 ham slice on each breast. Roll up each breast using toothpicks to secure if necessary. Dredge each in flour, shake off excess, then in egg and finally in bread crumbs. Place seam side down in baking dish that has been sprayed with Pam. Place 1 tablespoon butter on each piece of chicken.

Bake at 350° for 35 minutes until juices run clear. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, reduce broth by half over medium heat; add cream and simmer over low heat until thickened; season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour over chicken.

You could easily get the chicken, the pasta and the sauce ready ahead of time, keep it warm and put it all together when your guests arrive. Several CF members have made this one, too! [
    ](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=308027383) Tuscan Garlic Chicken Servings: 6 cook: 30 min 3 lb(s) Boneless, skinless chicken breasts 1 1/2 cup(s) Flour, plus 1 tablespoon 1 Tbsp Salt 2 tsp Black pepper 2 tsp Italian herb seasoning 1 lb(s) Penne pasta 1 Tbsp Garlic, chopped 1 Red pepper, julienne cut 1/2 cup(s) White wine 1/2 lb(s) Whole leaf spinach, stemmed 12 oz Heavy cream 1 cup(s) Parmesan cheese, grated Preparing the Chicken: \- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, black pepper and Italian herb seasoning in a shallow dish. \- Dredge chicken in the mixture, shaking off any excess. \- Saute the chicken in batches, in a large, nonstick, ovenproof skillet \- with enough oil to coat \- over medium\-high heat for about two to three minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp. \- When finished, transfer the ovenproof skillet to a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Preparing the Pasta: \- Cook pasta al dente (or according to package instructions). \- Drain and set aside until needed. Preparing the Sauce: \- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1/2 to 1 fluid ounce of oil in a sauce pan. Add the garlic and the red pepper and cook for approximately one minute. \- Slowly add remaining one tablespoon of flour and stir to combine. \- Next add the white wine and bring to a boil for about one minute. Add the spinach and the cream and bring to a boil. The sauce is done cooking when the spinach becomes wilted. Complete by stirring in the parmesan cheese. Preparing Tusacan Garlic Chicken Entree: \- Partly coat the pasta with the sauce, transfer to a large bowl (or individual dishes) and then top with the chicken, the remaining sauce and extra parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy.

The flavor of this beef dish blew me away the first time I made it! Now it's a regular on our menu!

Beef Daube Provençal

2 teaspoons olive oil
    12 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 (2-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    1 cup red wine
    2 cups chopped carrot
    1 1/2 cups chopped onion
    1/2 cup less-sodium beef broth
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    Dash of ground cloves
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 bay leaf
    3 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles (about 4 cups uncooked noodles)
    Chopped fresh thyme (optional)

Preheat oven to 300°.
    Heat olive oil in a small Dutch oven over low heat. Add garlic to pan; cook for 5 minutes or until garlic is fragrant, stirring occasionally. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon; set aside. Increase heat to medium-high. Add beef to pan. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Add wine to pan, and bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add garlic, beef, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, carrot, and next 8 ingredients (through bay leaf) to pan; bring to a boil.

Cover and bake at 300° for 2 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve over noodles. Garnish with chopped fresh thyme, if desired.

Note: To make in a slow cooker, prepare through Step 2. Place beef mixture in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours.
    Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup stew and 1/2 cup noodles)

This one is super quick to prepare. Is great served with a nice green salad and crusty bread. Oh...and wine, of course! LOL [
    ](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=313560088) Ravioli in Mushroom\-Walnut Cream Sauce 1 lb ravioli or tortellini, cooked according to package directions 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil 12 oz mushrooms, sliced 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped 1\-1/2 cup heavy whipping cream 1/4 tsp black pepper 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese HEAT olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms and walnuts until mushrooms are golden brown. Add heavy cream stir frequently for 5 minutes, until sauce has slightly thickened. When cream stops simmering, turn heat to warm. Add pepper and Parmesan cheese; stir until sauce is smooth. Do not boil. DRAIN pasta and place on a serving plate. Pour sauce over pasta. GARNISH with parsley. Serve immediately. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If you want TOTALLY make\-ahead.... Spinach Lasagne 1/2lb lasagna noodles 2 26oz jars pasta sauce 16oz container ricotta cheese 10oz package frozen spinach (thawed and well drained) 1lb shredded mozzarella 1/2c grated parmesan 2 eggs, beaten Parsley Prepare lasagna according to package directions, drain. In medium bowl, combine ricotta, spinach, 1/2c mozzarella, parmesan & eggs, mix well. In 9x13 baking dish, layer 2c sauce, half the lasagna, half the remaining sauce, all of the spinach mixture, half the remaining mozzarella, remaining lasagna and sauce. Cover, bake at 350F about 45 minutes until bubby. Uncover, top with remaining mozzarella and parsley. Bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Linda
  • spacific
    14 years ago

This is one of my favorites for the holidays:

Coulibiac (salmon in puff pastry)
    (adapted from Bon Appetit)

Salmon, Rice, Pastry
    1/2 cup long-grain white rice
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
    1/2 cup minced leek (white and pale green parts only)
    6 ounces fresh white mushrooms, stemmed, chopped finely
    2 sheets frozen puff pastry (one 17 1/4-ounce package), thawed
    4 6-ounce (4x2 1/2-inch) skinless salmon fillet
    1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
    salt and white pepper to taste

Dill Sauce
    2/3 cup bottled clam juice
    1/2 cup dry white wine (I usually use a French chablis, that I then serve with dinner as well)
    1 1/4 cups crème fraîche or whipping cream
    3 tablespoons minced fresh dill

For salmon, rice, pastry:
    Bring medium saucepan of salted water to boil. Add rice; boil uncovered until just tender, about 18 minutes. Drain.

Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add leek; sauté until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cover skillet; cook until mushrooms release their juices, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Uncover skillet. Increase heat to medium-high; sauté until liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl. Add rice. Season with salt and pepper. Cool completely.

Butter large baking sheet. Roll out 1 pastry sheet on floured surface to 12-inch square. Cut into 4 equal squares. Divide rice mixture among centers of squares, mounding in oval shape with ends toward 2 corners of pastry. Set salmon atop rice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bring pastry corners up around salmon (pastry will not enclose salmon completely.) Roll out remaining pastry sheet on floured surface to 13-inch square. Cut into 4 equal squares. Lay 1 square atop each salmon fillet, tucking corners under bottom pastry to enclose salmon completely. Pinch edges together to seal, brushing with egg mixture if necessary to adhere. Arrange salmon packages, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet. Cover and chill 30 minutes. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Keep chilled.)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush top of pastry with egg mixture. Bake until golden and thermometer inserted into fish registers 145°F, about 30 minutes.

For dill sauce:
    Combine clam juice and wine in heavy small nonaluminum saucepan. Boil until reduced to 1/3 cup, about 9 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Whisk in crème fraîche. Boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in dill. Season with salt and pepper.

If crème fraîche is unavailable, heat 1 cup whipping cream to lukewarm (85°F). Remove from heat and mix in 2 tablespoons buttermilk. Cover and let stand in warm draft-free area until slightly thickened (24 to 48 hours, depending on temperature of room). Refrigerate until ready to use.

Transfer salmon packages to plates. Spoon Dill Sauce around and serve.

>>> Ann's variation >>>

I usually don't do individual servings because I find it's too much pastry for the fish and the portions are just so huge. Instead, I use one large salmon filet, and roll out one sheet of pastry dough to wrap the entire filet, then pinch the end and top seams shut (and if I feel creative, score the seams to look like rope edges, and even decorate the top with a couple of extra pieces of pastry cut with cookie cutters). The baking time is a bit longer... 45-55 minutes.

Also, I actually prefer white mushrooms instead of shiitake for this dish.

I like this recipe because everything is done ahead except for the dill sauce, and even that, I reduce the clam juice and wine just before guests arrive, then reheat and whisk in the crème fraîche and cook the last five minutes while I'm preparing my vegetable side. And since the rice is in with the fish, I usually only serve steamed green veggies like asparagus with it.

For the presentation, I bring out the entire platter with the uncut filet in pastry with fresh dill for garnish along with the sauce in a small pitcher on the side. It's very "WOW" and it can then be sliced and served at the table.

There are many variations out there, some much more complex, including those using a true hollandaise sauce, but this one seems to work the best for me, especially for dinner parties.

• cookingrvc
    14 years ago

I love, love, love short ribs. This is a rich dish, so a little goes a long way. I serve them in a bowl-y plate on top of mashed potatoes to which I've also mashed celery root

It's a fatty cut and can be prepared the day before so the fat can harden and be easily removed. Great, easy dish.

Braised Short Ribs of Beef

3 T. Flour
    2 t. Salt
    Pepper, to taste
    2 t. Rosemary
    4 lbs. Beef short ribs, rinsed and dried
    Vegetable oil
    1 C. Chopped onions
    3/4 Cup Chopped celery
    2 C. Chicken stock - boiling (can substitute chicken broth)

Preheat oven to 300°.

Combine flour, salt, pepper, and rosemary.
    Dredge ribs in seasoned flour.
    In skillet, heat 2 T. oil and add onions and celery, sauté for 5 minutes.

Transfer vegetables to heavy Dutch oven with lid.
    Add 2 T. oil to skillet and brown ribs on all sides.
    Add extra oil as needed.

Transfer ribs to Dutch oven.
    Add boiling chicken stock to ribs and cover tightly.

*Bake 3 hours.
    Skim off excess fat and reduce gravy until thickened.

*Alternatively: Simmer ribs slowly on stove top.

Notes: Can cook one day ahead, chill, and remove fat layer from gravy. Heat slowly for 45 minutes before serving.

Serving Ideas: Wonderful served over mashed celery root, mashed potatoes, or wild mushroom risotto.

======================================

Red Wine Braised Ox Tails
    2 750 ml Bottles Dry red wine
    12 large oxtail pieces (about 6 pounds total)
    1/2 stick unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
    5 shallots
    5 garlic cloves
    2 medium carrots
    2 medium leeks (white parts only)
    1 medium onion
    2 celery ribs
    3 fresh thyme sprigs
    3 bay leaves
    1 bunch parsley stems
    4 Cups Chicken broth

Preheat oven to 325°F.

In a 4- to 6-quart heavy saucepan boil wine until reduced by about half (about 3 1/4 cups). Trim oxtails and pat dry. Season oxtails with salt and pepper.

In a deep heavy ovenproof kettle just large enough to hold oxtails in one layer heat 1 tablespoon butter over moderately high heat until foam subsides and brown half of oxtails on all sides, transferring to a bowl. Brown remaining oxtails in 1 tablespoon butter in same manner and transfer to bowl.

Coarsely chop shallots, garlic, carrots, leeks, onion, and celery. Add vegetables to kettle and cook in 1 tablespoon butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.

Arrange oxtails over vegetables and add reduced wine, herbs, and enough broth to just cover oxtails. Bring liquid to a boil and braise oxtails, covered, in middle of oven 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until meat is very tender but not falling off the bone.

Transfer oxtails with a slotted spoon to a bowl and keep warm. Pour braising liquid through a fine sieve into a large saucepan and discard solids. Boil liquid until thick, shiny, and reduced to about 1 3/4 cups and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.

=============================================

Chicken Sorrentino

6 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded very thin
    2 T. Butter
    1 Eggplant, peeled and sliced into ½-inch diagonal slices
    1 Egg, beaten
    2/3 C. Flour
    1 C. Seasoned breadcrumbs
    Cooking spray
    1 C. Sherry
    1 C. Chicken stock (or canned broth)
    6 Slices prosciutto
    6 Slices mozzarella

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Lightly coat a jelly roll pan (cookie sheet) with oil.

Coat eggplant slices with flour, then dip into egg, then breadcrumbs.

Place eggplant slices on cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes

While eggplant is cooking:

Heat large skillet and melt butter.

Brown the chicken cutlets for a few minutes until golden brown.

Remove from skillet, set aside and keep warm.

When eggplant slices are tender, remove from oven and set aside.

Over medium-high heat, add sherry and chicken broth to skillet, scraping up all brown bits (deglazing the pan)

Cook for about 2 minutes, reducing sauce somewhat.

Add chicken cutlets back to pan and top with a piece of prosciutto and a piece of eggplant.

Spoon some sauce over the top and cover for 2 minutes, over medium-high heat.

Remove cover and top with mozzarella slices.

Cover and heat over medium heat for 1 minute or until mozzarella melts.

i like to serve this with Spaghetti.

Chicken Saltimbocca Lidia Bastianich

Ingredients

1. Four 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, butterflied and lightly pounded
    2. Salt and freshly ground pepper
    3. 8 large sage leaves
    4. 4 thin slices prosciutto di Parma
    5. All-purpose flour, for dusting
    6. 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    7. 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
    8. 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dry white wine
    9. 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium brot

Directions

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place 2 sage leaves on each breast. Top with a slice of prosciutto, trimming it to fit. Press the prosciutto to help it adhere to the chicken. Dust the chicken with flour, shaking off the excess.

Heat a large skillet. Add the oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add 2 of the breasts, prosciutto side up, and cook over high heat until nearly cooked through, about 3 minutes. Turn the chicken and cook just until the prosciutto begins to shrink, about 1 minute. Transfer the chicken to a plate; repeat with the remaining chicken. Pour off any fat and wipe out the skillet.

Add the remaining butter to the skillet. Add the wine and cook over high heat until reduced by half, 2 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half, 3 minutes.

Return the chicken to the skillet, prosciutto side up, and simmer over moderate heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the chicken to plates, pour the sauce on top and serve.

===================================

For guests who like salmon...

Pecan-Crusted Salmon with Mango Salsa

8 Salmon filets
    2 C. pecans
    1 T. Garlic
    1/2 t. Salt
    1/4 t. cayenne pepper
    1/2 C. Mayonnaise
    Mango Salsa

Preheat oven to 400°.

Grind pecans into a course meal.

Mix together garlic, salt, and cayenne.

Coat filets with mayo, then dip into pecans, coating thoroughly.

Place filets on cooking rack set in a baking pan.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until fish is cooked through.

Serve with mango salsa.

Mango Salsa
    2 Mangos, skinned and cubed
    1/2 Red onion, diced small
    1 teaspoon Orange zest
    1 ounce Orange juice
    1 ounce red wine vinegar
    1 bunch cilantro, chopped
    1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded, minced

Mix all ingredients and let sit for 2 hours.

================================================

Pork Medallions in Mustard-Caper Sauce

1 Pork tenderloin
    2 Cups Bread crumbs, seasoned, Fresh or packaged
    1 Egg, beat it up
    3/4 Cup Flour
    4 Tablespoons Butter
    4 Tablespoons Cooking oil
    Mustard-Caper Sauce

Slice tenderloin into 1/2-inch medallions

Pound medalions into 1/4-inch rounds

Dredge each medallion in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs

Lay on wax paper until ready for frying

Melt 1/2 the butter in heavy, large skillet over medium-high heat

Add 1/2 the oil when foaming subsides

Add pork to skillet in one layer, being careful not to crowd.

Cook for 2 minutes per side.

Remove and keep warm in a 250° oven

Cook remaining medallions and keep warm.

Prepare Mustard Caper Sauce

Arrange medallions slightly overlapping on plate and drizzle with sauce.

Mustard-Caper Sauce
    Notes: This sauce is usually prepared in a skillet that was used to saute pork tenderloin medallions. The pan drippings from the pork provide added flavor to the sauce.

1 Tablespoon Butter
    1/4 cup Sliced shallots
    1 Cup Chicken broth or stock
    2 Tablespoons Heavy cream
    1 1/2 Tablespoons Drained capers
    1 Tablespoon course-grain Dijon mustard

Melt butter over medium-high flame.

Add shallots and stir 1 minute.

Add chicken broth and cream.

Mix in capers and mustard and stir for 1 minute.

Simmer until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 8 minutes.

Serve sauce over pork tenderloin medallions.

Chicken Breasts with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce Bon Appetite 1999
    Serves 4

Notes: Make extras sauce and toss with cooked pasta; then plate. Add sliced, pan-cooked chicken breasts if desired.

To make just the sauce saute the shallots, garlic and sundried tomatoes, then add wine and reduced to almost nothing.
    Add the chicken stock or broth and reduce by half.
    Add the cream and reduce until desired consistency.

4 tablespoons olive oil
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, oil-packed, coarsly chopped,drained
    2 large shallots, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    3/4 cup Chicken stock , or broth
    1 cup whipping cream

Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.

Add chicken and sauté until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.

Transfer chicken to plate; tent with foil to keep warm.

Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to drippings in skillet.

Add sun-dried tomatoes, shallots and garlic.

Reduce heat to medium and sauté until shallots are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add cream and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits.

Mix any accumulated juices from chicken into sauce.

========================================

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

It's really hard to say what is the best "dinner party" recipe because it depends a lot on what part of the country you live in (what's in season and will it be a mostly indoor party our outdoors) and what you like and how many guests, etc. One GREAT thing to do is to post a tentative menu here. We LOVE to help plan dinner parties, lol! I almost always do that when I'm contemplating a menu for a dinner party. I haven't had one in a long time, but I do have a few tricks I've developed over the years.

First, keep most of the dinner simple. If you're having fru fru appetizers, keep dinner simple like just pasta and salad. If you have an elaborate dinner, go for simple appetizers and simple desserts. If you want to make a fru fru dessert, keep dinner simple.

My tried and true appetizers are simple: an assortment of spreads for bruschetta, crackers or pita. That includes usually store bought hummus, homeade lowfat spinach dip, and roasted red pepper eggplant dip. They are all easy and provide a mix of colors. I also will make blue cheese or feta spread with walnuts. Roasted eggplant dip is made by getting a fairly large eggplant, peeling it, slicing it in rounds of slightly less than 1 inch, salting it (shaking salt all over it and letting it "sweat" for 15 min. and then rinsing off the "sweat" and patting the eggplant dry). Then baste with olive oil and roast at 400 degrees for about 15 min. on the first side and 10 on the second. It will stick to the pan a little so you might want to try parchment paper. Roast until just brown and soft. I put the oven shelf fairly close to the heating element but not so close it burns. You can also grill the eggplant if you have a grill, I don't. Then put the whole mess in the food processor with a drained jar of roasted red peppers. Dead easy. If you think it needs something you can add a dab of mayo, tahini, balsamic vinegar or lemon juice and cumin or something, but I like it just the way it is!! My other go to appetizer I got from I think Chase. I make it in the summer when I can get fresh herbs from the garden. You could make it at other times but you have to use fresh herbs, it's not worth making this if you can't use fresh herbs, since there are tons of other cheese spreads to make otherwise.

Home Made Boursin with Herbs
    1 lb Farmers cheese or 1/2 lb cottage cheese & 1/2 lb Ricotta
    8 ounces cream cheese
    1/2 cup butter,softened
    4 large garlic cloves,minced
    2 medium shallots,minced
    1/2 cup fresh parsley,chopped finely and packed tight
    1/2 cup chopped fresh thyme OR 2/3 cup fresh dill chopped finely
    1/3 cup chives,chopped finely
    1 tsp pepper,freshly ground
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    Blend the cheeses and butter, add the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Store in small crocks or ramekins in the fridge until well chilled.

Another fun appetizer that is easy, well received and yet somewhat unusual are those exotic potato and vegetable chips with onion dip, the regular old Lipton's kind except I use lowfat sour cream. I actually buy organic onion soup mix when I can since Lipton's has so much salt. But it will do in a pinch. I thin it a bit.

Easy and well received drinks are mulled cider or wine in the winter (I use my crockpot) and sangria in the summer. I make sangria with wine, 7-Up, and peach brandy. Then throw in whatever type of fruit I think will look pretty in my clear glasss pitcher. Dead easy and everyone thinks it's so fancy! I invested in that pitcher and got a fancy tray as a housewarming gift and that was one of my best tricks. Any type of beverage seems fancy when served in a glass or clear plastic pitcher filled with fruit and ice, and coming out on a big fancy tray with colorful glasses.

My usual strategy for the main course is to make something in the crockpot or oven. My mainstays are some type of pasta, or chicken, either cacciatore or moroccan. The pasta is usually baked ziti or some type of lasagne. I've also made picadillo for a cuban style party, and also had soup and sandwiches type gatherings too sometimes. Enchiladas or chili are also good for a more informal type party. Once I made a fancy gratin for a dinner party, it was good but a lot of work, IMHO. For salads, I buy the fancy greens for when I have company. Pears or apples, walnuts, greens, celery or fennel if you want, with blue cheese, makes a very impressive but easy salad. It's unusual so people like it. Olive oil and lemon juice is what I use for dressing. Dash of salt and pepper and honey if the lemon is too tart for you. Not more than a dash though.

I can't offer you much more dinner advice since I'm a vegetarian.

Dessert for me can be so many things. I may take the opportunity to bake a cake or pie since I rarely have such things otherwise. Usually I like desserts that center around fruit. If I want something even easier, I make some type of crisp--always well received and can be served with ice cream or whipped cream as a special treat. Another DEAD EASY but impressive dessert is "homeade" pie. Except you make it with store bought crust and frozen fruit and it takes you ten minutes to put it together. But you take it out of the oven as your guest arrive and they think you are a kitchen goddess. My favorite pie to make that way is peach raspberry but I think I'm going to try apple blackberry some day soon. Also, you can't go wrong with those molten lava chocolate individual cakes, but I am such a low key entertainer, I have never made them for a party and never for myself either. You can make a lemon custard cake that is similar too, but again, I don't do that. My other "go to" dinner party dessert is brownies. But if I really want to go all out for the dessert for a dinner party, I will make cheesecake. I make the lowfat kind, with berries on top. Other dead easy yet impressive desserts are "upside down" cakes or this summer torte that was all the rage here last summer.

Summer Torte - Marion Burros, posted on CF by Jojoco

1 stick butter, softened (I always use unsalted)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 cup flour; sifted
    1 tsp baking powder
    2 eggs
    pinch of salt
    fruit of choice; sliced into wedges (I used about 7 plums. Peaches, nectarines,strawberries all work great and in combination)
    cinnamon sugar for top
    Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and add sugar. Beat well. Add eggs and beat. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to batter. Mix. Spoon globs to greased 9 or 10 inch springform. Use a knife to spread batter to cover entire pan. Arrange fruit on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (amount depends on the sweetness of the fruit).
    Bake for 45 min.

TOTALLY OPTIONAL AND NOT NECESSARILY NEEDED TOPPING
    Sprinkle on before baking instead of cinnamon sugar. I use it with berries in the cake but not with peaches, plums or other larger fruits. But still optional, the cake is gorgeous just plain! Again, depends on what else I'm serving with it.
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1/3 cup butter, softened
    3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt

For me, I use these tried and trues because people like them and they are so low hassle I can focus just on enjoying the guests.

• meg711
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your wonderful recipes and advice. Everything sounds delicious! I may have some followup questions at some point since my cooking skills are a bit lacking. I hope that's okay.

In the meantime, I would love to see additional dinner party menus and recipes, so please keep them coming! Thanks again!

PS The advice about cleaning the house the week before was absolutely correct. I spent Friday and Saturday cooking AND cleaning and I was definitely NOT a happy camper. And I was a stressed out mess that it would not all get done by the time our company arrived. Who needs that?